4 - honey honey

Song- Honey Honey / ABBA

The wind came in through the open windows of the Bronco, pushing my loose hair back. The radio played quietly as Bradley hummed to the familiar tunes.

The ocean waves crashed along the coastline. "You ever tried to surf?" I laughed, looking at the teens falling off their boards and into the water.

"God no, My friend convinced me once during our sophomore year and when I tell you my life flashed before my eyes." He smiled while pulling into a parking lot by the pier.

I unbuckled my seatbelt as Rooster killed the car engine and opened the door to get out. The warm San Diego sun shone in the clear blue sky. I took the aviators from my top and placed them on my face, grabbing my bag before closing the car door behind me.

"So, Where to now?" I smiled, looking over at Rooster who now had his aviators on as well. "Well the pier has some Food Stalls, there's an Arcade down the road and we can always go down onto the beach." He ran a hand through his golden hair.

"How about the pier?" Rooster smiled and let out a little laugh before taking off in front of me. The roads were jammed full with sports cars trying to find spaces to park and teens walking down the boardwalk in wetsuits and surfboards in their arms.

"God I wish I was still a Teen." I laughed as we approached the pier. "Seems like yesterday that I was out here with my mum." He smiled, looking down at the ground.

The old wood of the pier sort wobbled and creaked as if it was ready to give in as the hundreds of people walked along it. "Are you close with your Mum then?"

The heels of my sandals hit the wood planks lightly as we walked down the pier.

"Uhm, Yeah I guess. We lived on base for a while since my Dad worked in the Navy but we moved into a little apartment for a few years and she would take me down here when she had free time." He cleared his throat before turning back to me,
"What about you, I hear that southern twang when you speak."

"Well, I grew up in Georgia. Right in the middle of nowhere. Nearest town was a Small one called Blue Ridge and even that was a 4 hour car journey away. Everyone knew everyone's business really. Mom and Dad never really cared what me and Nat did. We'd ride down on our bikes to this little lake sometimes but we were mostly in the stables helping with the horses."

"Born and raised Country Girl." He laughed, "Oh God, Don't start! Ever since Bagman found out it's all he calls me. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it yet to be completely honest." I smiled, propping my elbows up against the metal barrier around me.

The long drop into the freezing cold ocean water was obstructed by a large metal fence at the end of the pier. The water crashed against the wooden legs. "So did you always want to be in the Navy?" He looked over to me with a sly smirk.

"No actually, I've wanted to be an astronomer ever since I can remember. Sometimes I wish I did become one. I wonder how different my life would have been." I spoke, watching the birds fly by in flocks against the blue sky.

"Wow. I never pictured you being interested in the Stars, Vanessa. And, I mean, I grew up in that environment. All the adults in my life were Pilots or worked in the Navy in one way or another so I guess I just took in my fathers footsteps." He laughed quietly.

"Vanessa means Star in Hebrew." I smirked, "Wanna get Ice cream?" I turned around, Rooster took his Aviators off and looked at me.

"Is that even a question?" He smiled, "Now the real question is, What is your favorite ice cream flavor?" We began walking back down the pier towards the ice cream stall we'd previously walked by.