chapter 44

FEYRE POV

Today I was in a sour mood. Apparently my period is close.

As usual, after breakfast I sat with law in the library to continue our work. But today, Penguin joined us, he sat in a corner reading a book while we worked on the case. He wasn't so keen on doing any projects with law.

After some time, ikkaku joined us too.

Law gave her some homework to tackle since she was the only one on board with no medical knowledge or experience.

One look at the textbooks he gave her had me feeling sorry for her.

She would occasionally ask for clarifications on some spiralled up concept or word that would end up with law bickering with her for being too 'dumb' to use her brain cells.

"I don't even want to be a doctor! It's gross and disgusting." ikkaku folds her arms.

"What you call gross and disgusting is the only thing keeping the human race alive till now." law says in his calm tone that ticks her even more.

"Medical workers have to clean up shit and be treated like personal servants by their patients. Why would anyone want to do so much dirty work?!" she exclaimed.

That was the last straw. This is the third time in less than 30 minutes that I've had to intervene to stop a catastrophe.

And now ikkaku was insulting the whole crew.

Even Penguin looked up, his face frozen in fear when he sensed my anger.

I got up from my place and raised a hand at law who opened his mouth to give her a tongue beating. "Let me take it from here."

I walked up to her, my face the portrait of melancholy. "You do realise you just insulted the whole crew and a whole work force of selfless people who willingly sacrificed their lives and time and health in order to learn the most complicated subject so they'd be able to save complete strangers' lives?"

Ikkaku sighs, "look i didn't mean it like–"

I raised my hand to her, "No, honestly? This is so funny to me because I've been actively practising medicine for the past 4 years or so and I genuinely cannot remember the first time that I had to clean up poop, vomit or blood or anything that other people perceive as dirty." ikkaku doesn't say a word as i continue talking, "But i'll tell you what i do remember. I vividly remember the first time I saw a pulseless baby." ikkaku eyes widened momentarily. "I remember the first time I had to do chest compressions and the feeling of their ribs cracking beneath my hands. The first time I was part of a brain death exam. The first time I saw non-accidental trauma. And the first time that I heard the screams and cries of a person who was about to lose someone they loved or holding family members as they scream when their loved ones pass away. " Ikkaku was too stunned to even look me in the eye.

"Do you know what it's like to watch someone bleed to death as you try to transfuse enough blood to save them? Or watching people your age pass away? Do you know why I can't look at a bucket of red paint? Do you know why I get this colour exclusively in tubes? Or do you know why I choose to fight with enchanted daggers? Why i don't want to see my opponent's guts spilled on the ground? You could take a guess." my voice didn't shake once as i listed the horror of the medical field that really disturbed me.

"Did you ever assist in a bedside c-section where the mother was too sick to be taken to the OR in order to save her baby? Or watching a new mum take her last breath when her new baby that she never met was put on her chest?" I wave my hand in the air then walk back to my seat. "And I bet you never had to hug a parent after wheeling their child to the OR to donate their organs." ikkaku flinged at that. I sit down and cross my arms. "At the end of the day the body fluids are the least of your concerns. you find a way to do what you have to do with dignity. I truly believe that it takes a special person to be able to do everything a doctor or nurse does."