Chapter 22

"The ton itself has certainly felt its peculiar kind of frenzy after the failed wedding of the Bridgertons that had cast them almost completely out of society.

Yet this author has it on very good authority that the Viscount's failed nuptials may not be the last thing this season that will make the ton's world crumble to the ground".

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS, 17 MAY 1814

"A ball?", Charlotte repeated, as if she did not hear the first time.

"Quite", Lady Danbury agreed. "A ball, hosted by your Majesty to show the rest of the ton that there is no ill will between the Crown, the Bridgertons and the Sheffield's".

Charlotte snorted, unladylike, and sipped her tea. "A ball, hosted by me. What a ridiculous notion you pose, Lady Danbury. I have already hosted a ball this season if you recall".

"An engagement ball, ma'am", Lady Danbury corrected.

"Not only a few weeks ago!", Charlotte exclaimed. Amelia continued to sip her tea, pretending to not be there as she listened.

"Very well, then perhaps you shall attend a ball hosted by the Bridgertons?", Lady Danbury proposed. "That way we can truly repair all broken reputations of all parties involved".

Charlotte snorted again but did not reply. She had to agree. Amelia knew that her mother had to, as much as she did not want to. Her reputation was perhaps not as damaged by this failed wedding as Miss Edwina's or Lord Bridgerton's was, but it was tarnished. All would ask themselves if she is truly what she said she is for the rest of the season, and perhaps even the next.

"I dare say, Mama", Amelia spoke up suddenly. "That Lady Danbury has the right of this. A ball would be most exciting and most appreciated by everyone. And it would put to rest the vile rumors they have started of you".

Charlotte put her cup down. "They started rumors about me?", she asked, shocked. She had not heard anything of this.

Amelia looked across at Lady Danbury, silently asking for her support.

"Yes they have, your Majesty", Lady Danbury quickly agreed, sensing a plan was formed by Amelia.

"They say that you have lost your match making charm", Amelia continued. She was making it up as she went. "That you are too old to continue running the season as you have. Some have even dared to question whether Lady Whistledown should be the one in charge".

Lady Danbury's eyes widened as she looked at Amelia, silently asking her to stop before she took it too far. But Amelia knew her mother's boundaries better than perhaps anyone. After all, Amelia did have to learn how to get what she wanted somehow.

"They said that?", Charlotte asked, looking at Lady Danbury, who just barely managed a nod. "Oh we can't have that. Brimsley!".

Her private secretary appeared as if out of thin air.

"Begin the preparations. Begin the invite lists. The ball hosted by the Bridgerton's must be majestic and one of a kind. We must put to rest these absolutely atrocious rumors once and for all", Charlotte ordered, standing up. Amelia and Lady Danbury quickly followed. "And get me a list of those who have said those rumours!".

Brimsley hurried off as the Queen left the room. Amelia and Lady Danbury shared a look.

"You play a dangerous game, Princess. Your mother won't appreciate the lies you said when she finds out the truth", Lad Danbury warned.

"Its my Mama, Lady Danbury", Amelia shrugged nonchalantly. "She won't find out the truth. Even if Brimsley appears with no list as there were no rumors of the kind I have told her spread, she will still see everyone as an enemy and a liar. I have planted the seed of doubt and she is growing it all by herself".