Chapter Three: Unexpected Visitors

The next morning, I make myself get out of bed. I could neither sleep nor rest my eyes so I must look like absolute shit. But training will take my mind off of last night even though the rare powers don't train much.

As I get dressed for training, I still can't get the flame I conjured last night out of my mind. It felt so easy to conjure it even though it wasn't originally my power. What would have happened if I kept it going? Would I have wanted more? Would I have lost control?

As I make my way downstairs, everyone in the hallways still buzz about last night. When they notice me, they whisper amongst themselves about how I danced with the prince. I simply roll my eyes at the gossip. As if that was the most important event of the night. Don't they realize how dangerous my powers are, what I could take away from others if given the chance?

Walking the familiar path down to the training room, everyone eligible dresses in their finest training gear. When I arrive, there is an even bigger buzz in the air and for once it's not from the kids with lightning for powers. I head to the usual sideline where the rest of the rare power kids sit. "Freya!" Jun yelps as I near. "Hear the great news?"

Sitting on the bench, I shrug my shoulders. "Did something happen at the festival?"

"Sort of. The Royal Family is staying!" Louis chimes in. Louis' power is the ability to teleport. Only he and three other individuals in the kingdom have this power.

"Really?" I say incredulously. They were supposed to leave after the party.

"Rumor has it that they're on the lookout for the most powerful beings in the kingdom," Jun says as she looks over the rest of the group. We only have five people in our group, which includes the telekinetic twins of Riley and Naya. We had four others last year but either they graduated or left Glasswood. "So we better impress."

"Yeah, as if they let us train," Riley grumbles.

I can only agree. My eyes naturally go over to the others in the room which are no doubt talking about the Blue Moon Festival. I eventually find Lucy waving her hair around, proud that she danced with the prince. When I return my focus to my small group, I only shrug. "They won't want us." The group can only nod. We all know that even though our powers are powerful, everyone is scared of what we can do to our full extent.

While we mull over this information, the head trainer walks in with his usual flare. Yondou stands in the middle and claps his hands. "Infernos!" he yells. "Stand front and center!" A group mixed of varying ages of teens stand before him in their usual red clothing that's a little too on the nose. "Today, we are having special guests. Impress them and you'll be rewarded. Now do your bloody best today."

As everyone in the room stretches, I watch the room carefully. They all truly want to impress the Royal Family that it's a bit sickening to witness the desperation. On cue, the Royal Guard storms in and soon after the princess and the prince walk in. Thankfully both are in normal clothing rather than their extremely well-tailored dress wear from last night but still shows their wealth easily enough. Like yesterday night, Otto stares at the floor as they walk to the center of the room.

Yondou kisses Scarlett's cheek and eventually shakes Otto's hand as they all turn to the large group. "Good morning everyone," Scarlett says very diplomatic-like. "I hope you all rested well after last night," she smiles as clearly everyone either is hungover or barely slept. "Please, we are only observing today. Listen to Yondou's instructions and focus on your power."

"Infernos!" Yondou yells as the siblings sit on the opposite side of the training facilities. "Infernos, you're first. Then our usual lineup afterwards. We'll do one-on-ones after lunch." As everyone gets ready, our group just stays in the same position. I don't even know why we come to this as we're usually ignored. But even though I don't want to, I still pay close attention to how they train and fight. As the fire powers begin their usual training warmups, I watch as they focus on their hands and their energy goes fully to their summoning. Without much reason, I look down at my own hands. I have this power within me but I don't know how to use any of it.

Not before long, they're done and the water powers step forward, then air, then earth. But I can't focus on them any longer. But my focus eventually lands on the prince. Though he should be watching the dozen or so men and women performing their hearts out for him, he watches our small group. When his different colored eyes lock onto mine, I look away. I still can't believe what he told me last night. How can he not use his powers in over a year?

After an hour of all this nonsense, Yondou calls for a break. Briefly speaking to the siblings, they break off and talk to the trainees. To my dismay, Otto makes his way to us immediately. Reaching our small group, we're all too stunned to move. "Miss Hanson, Miss Ellis," he says quietly. "It's good to see you both." Jun smiles sweetly at him. Then he turns to the other three. "And your names?"

One by one, the others I call friends introduce themselves. Naya looks the most starstruck by him and gets a deep blush as he shakes her hand. Jun suddenly kicks my leg which startles me. "Let him sit," she whispers. I am the only one on the bench but everyone else could have joined me if they too weren't afraid of my powers.

Quickly the prince waves her off. "I'm fine Miss Hanson." He stands with his hands in his pockets and looks quite honestly dashing. "I wanted to ask why you did not participate in the warmups."

The silence between us is deafening. No one wants to admit that we're constantly cast aside. "No one wants to train us," I mumble as I stare at the large group talking to Scarlett.

"They're afraid of what we can do to them," Louis agrees.

The prince sits by me suddenly. Even though the only skin I'm showing is just my head and neck, I make sure to give him enough room. "So you don't train at all?"

"It's rare, Your Highness," Jun adds.

"Please call me Kit." Everyone stares at him including myself. Noticing the shock from everyone, he leans into me. Whispering, "Did I say something wrong?"

"We're just startled."

He watches me closely. Shrugging, he addresses the group again. "I go by Kit. All other names are formality."

"Well Kit," Jun says. "Please call us by our first names. It must get tiring being so formal all the time."

Kit smiles. "Happily, Jun." Mirroring his smile, she sits up a bit straighter. "Would any of you like to showcase your powers in the one-on-ones?" he asks after a while. When there are no takers, he adds, "I would love to see what you all can do."

Speaking for the group, "We don't have enough practice."

"They would eat us bloody alive!" Louis says from the floor.

The prince looks around at our small group. "You've never tried before?"

"We're not allowed," I say. His eyes lock onto mine for a moment. I hate to think this but I wonder if he's reading my mind right now. What information does he know?

After a long pause, he rises. "Thank you for your time." We watch as he walks straight to Yondou. They speak for a long time that Scarlett joins their conversation.

I turn to our group after I catch Yondou looking over at us. "Be ready for a one-on-one." I can feel it in my bones.

Yondou walks to the center of the room and calls for our attention. "The princess and prince will call up the men and women that have caught their eye in training. These selected few will battle one another after we return from lunch."

The siblings step out again and slowly they pick out who caught their eyes. Lucy is picked almost immediately by Scarlett. The other top of the class students are picked but then Yondou announces, "Louis Carrison." Louis' complexion immediately pales beside us.

Then, my own heart drops completely.

Yondou looks back towards our group, his stare finding my own. "Freya Ellis."