chapter one

the door to the room slammed behind him. because of its intense weight, and robin jumped. he stared around his new room, his frail arms wrapped around himself. he turned again, finding a mirror on the wall next to the closet. he finally got a look at himself since his last treatment upstairs in the oncology department.

his eyes were sunken and had deep purple bags, and his skin was pale. the whites around his green irises were bloodshot, and he was skinny. far too skinny. he looked at his hair, the touseled blonde locks thinning from his chemo therapy.

he heard the door slam again, and he jumped slightly, turning. barb had been standing there, watching him stare at his seemingly grotesque body in the mirror.

"hmm.. we'll just- " barb spoke, walking over to the mirror and taking it off the wall. she stuck it in the closet, "there." she gave a soft smile towards the gaunt teenager. "where's your things..?" she asked him, her head tilted softly to the side.

robin didn't meet her gaze, and he gulped. his head hurt, so he sat down. "dad's bringing it tomorrow," he told her, looking down and closing his eyes. everything was too bright and he wanted the light gone. barb walked over to the switch, flicking it so the light turned off, "its off, kiddo."

"thank you, barb.." robin thanked her, looking back up. after a moment of looking at each other, barb took her leave, and the heavy door slammed again. robin jumped, before settling back down to where he was sat on the side of the bed.

the nurses station was bustling as the shift was swapped, and barb and julie swapped positions as barb went home for the day. a boy walked over, and barb scoffed, " where's your mask, will? and your oxygen?" she questioned, grabbing a mask and throwing it towards him.

"sorry, sorry- forgot!" the boy, will, laughed as he pulled on the paper mask over his face. "i heard we got someone new on the floor. the room next to mine, right?" he asked, head tilted.

"yeah. but don't even think about it. the simplest cough could set off an infection- even if he doesn't have cystic fibrosis," barb told him, pointing at him. she was completely serious.

"he's not a CFer? cool!" will laughed, and then his face fell serious, "what is he, then?" he knew that teens on this floor had varying illnesses, but most of them mainly had cystic fibrosis.

"he's got cancer. brain tumor. leave him be, he's very frail and sick," barb told him, before gathering her things and leaving for the day, leaving julie in charge of the nurse's station.