Chapter 24

Tom's text message read: I don't want to do it today. I'm going to wait until Monday.

She scoffed at her man. Just send it seconds before you leave. Nora rolled her eyes and tucked her phone back in her pocket.

"Trouble in paradise?" Jill asked, creeping up behind Nora in the break room. Jill was almost unrecognizable, she'd completely popped.

"You started showing." Nora observed out loud.

"I did. Don't tell anyone but, it's twins." Nora's jaw dropped, mostly out of surprise that Adam was right. She couldn't believe he'd guessed it.

"Well, congratulations."

"Thanks. I don't know how to feel. Besides tired and nauseous."

Nora chuckled and bid her friend well as she left the break room, coffee in hand. She was waiting for Adam to return from the deli with their lunches so they could have their daily meal together. They'd spent their entire afternoon contacting upcoming artists, asking if they would be willing to refer friends for higher splits from the sale of their work. Half of the people they were meant to reach out to were now Threshold clients. She made a lot of fake phone calls, and lost track of time. It was three in the afternoon before they placed their orders.

Nora peered down the hall to Tom's office, but ultimately turned the other way. It was still so hard to not go see him when she was bored. She withdrew her phone again.

Only two weeks until we're not sneaking around the building anymore. She sent it with a smile on her face. They were so close to the light at the end of the tunnel. Tom was giving notice shortly, Christine two weeks later, and Nora in a month. Two weeks after her last day they would be hosting a grand opening event. A total of eight weeks before their lives were completely different.

She spotted Adam in her office unloading their lunches as she approached. He caught her eye and held up her sandwich, wrapped in wax paper. She nodded in thanks and grabbed the handle to her door.

"My stomach is growling so hard, man."

"Same here." He agreed. "You've got to love it when people keep you on the phone for an hour when you only asked them one question." Nora snorted in response and took a seat, prepared to inhale her food.

"How's your research been lately? Anyone acting suspicious?" She really only asked him once, maybe twice a week, if he had uncovered anything. Their lunches, besides, were more of an opportunity for Nora to become more friendly with him. She just wanted to keep him loyal to her, so he didn't sniff into her affairs.

"Definitely. Nothing you really want to hear, though." He said, mouth full.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, and took a bite.

He set his sandwich down and wiped his lips with the back of his hand. "The most suspicious person in the office is Tom." He said it with such certainty. "I know you don't want me spying on your boyfriend but he's all over the place. He had two face to face, closed door meetings with Vicky today."

Nora furrowed her brows. There was no way he wouldn't tell her if he had met with Vicky. "You've got to be mistaken, Adam." She assured him.

"I know Tom when I see him, okay?"

She shook her head in disbelief. "Is that all?" Her tone was audibly sarcastic.

"No. That's not all. I found a receipt in his trashcan yesterday for a five thousand dollar withdrawal from Bank of America. Who the hell needs that much cash?" Nora chewed on her food slowly, feeling her appetite disappear from her body. Their business account wasn't with Bank of America, so it really wasn't her business. But she'd be lying if she said she wasn't curious.