The betrayal (part one)

Nicky

It would be a lie for Nicholas to say that he hated his father. Even though he missed every Christmas morning, and he seemed to have more interest in the children around the world than the two boys in his household.

No, Nicky didn't hate his father. To hate someone was to know them and Nicky knew nothing about his father at all.

Nicholas Sr spent most of his time in his workshop, planning for the upcoming Christmas festivities, and when he wasn't doing that he was out delivering the presents.

Emotionally absent father. That's what he was.

Was it any wonder that Nicky acted out?

* * *

He was sat at the breakfast table.

Nicky blinked twice as he stepped into the dining room. No, his eyes weren't deceiving him — there was his father, sat at the head of the table, enjoying his breakfast. He had a copy of the North Pole Herald in front of him and was reading it intently.

Noel was sat in his usual seat and he looked delighted. Father never joined them for breakfast.

"Morning Nicky!" Mother was sat at fathers left.

"Morning," Nicky replied, sitting across from Noel. He raised an eyebrow at his younger brother, who shrugged.

"Father... how come you're not in your workshop?" Nicky couldn't resist asking.

Nicholas Sr looked up from the paper, fixing his ice blue eyes on his eldest son. "I wanted to spend a breakfast with my family — is that such a crime?"

"Not a crime; you just never do it." The words were out before Nicky realized.

A long silence followed Nicky's words.

Noel looked anxiously between Nicky and their father, neither of whom were breaking eye contact. Their mother, Jessy, continued to eat her breakfast. She was used to the stilted atmosphere that surrounded her eldest son and her husband.

Finally, Nicholas Sr spoke. "I know."

Nicky took a sip of his coffee and waited for his father to continue.

"Today I think you are both old enough to see what goes on in my workshop," Nicholas said.

Noel's mouth dropped open. "Really, Pa?"

Even Nicky felt a bloom of excitement blossom inside of him. He and Noel were always explicitly told to keep away from the Workshop. They had tried to peek through the stained glass windows before but the glass wasn't clear and they would only see blurred figures.

Nicholas Sr nodded. "It's time, boys."

The Workshop looked like a humble barn from the outside. There was one large window looking inside, but it was stained glass, showing an image of Father Christmas giving a gift to a young girl. Nicky always wondered who that girl was, but he doubted Nicholas would give him a true answer.

The man in question reached into his trouser pockets, pulling out a set of keys. They were bronzed from rust. He slipped one of them into the lock, twisted it once and the doors swung open.