IV

Oh how her eyes wandered! Everything seemed so spectacular to her. It was as if a long-hidden dream had finally come true. She was suddenly a part of the life she always wished for. Tempted by her boss, it was as though she had been transformed into Cinderella at her first ball. Leaning back in her chair and raising her Martini glass as high as her arm could reach, she made a toast to Speakeasies, Gin and to Oliver Everett. It didn't occur to her, in that moment, that she was behaving far from her normal self. She was fully and happily ensconced into the lifestyle she had longed for all her life!

Suddenly the secret door burst opened, and the Speakeasy filled with police. "Raid!" someone shouted, followed by the hysterical screaming of women's voices. Panic consumed the room as chairs and tables tipped over; glass shattered as people began to rush to find an exit. Pandemonium broke out as the Keepers of the Peace drew out their Billy Clubs to subdue the unruly mob. Pru felt a hand grasp her elbow as Mayor Everett pulled her through a sliding panel behind their obscured table. Within moments, they were in a dark back alley. Moving swiftly from alleyway to alleyway, they eventually emerged onto a side street where a black car was waiting for them.

Climbing inside the back of the car, Mayor Everett told the driver to get going before draping his arm around Pru's shoulders and leaning back with her into the seat. "Not to fear, my dear," he exclaimed in order to calm his shaken companion. "You are safe with me."

Instead of showing fear, Prudence's eyes sparkled with glee as a peal of laughter escaped her lips. The whole episode was more fun than anything she had experienced before. Grinning widely while patting his companion's bared knee, the Mayor joined in with his own hearty merriment. Despite this young woman's outward show of caution, she was as reckless as he was himself. He was delighted beyond measure.