Chapter Sixteen

SAPPHIRE'S POV

I braced myself mentally as the FBI Detective approached me, knowing that their presence often heralded unwelcome news. Her piercing grey eyes and imposing demeanor were all too familiar, and I immediately recognized her as Detective Brown, the very same woman who had been instrumental in my imprisonment. Despite her shock and astonishment upon seeing me, I could not bring myself to give her the satisfaction of complying with her demands.

I stood before her, almost unrecognizable from the person she had put behind bars years ago. My appearance had changed significantly since then, with a hardened expression and a ruthless glare that could easily intimidate anyone who dared to cross me. As I met her gaze with unwavering ferocity, I took pleasure in the way she visibly winced under my withering stare.

"What brings you here?" I demanded, my voice cold and callous as I addressed Detective Brown. She remained stoic and unflappable, much as I remembered her from before. Stubborn and vile, she had always been a thorn in my side, and I had no intention of making things easy for her.

Despite the passage of time, Detective Brown had not changed at all, still the same unyielding figure that I remembered from years ago. As I stood there, facing her down with all the force of my resentment and anger, I knew that our conversation would not be an easy one. But I was ready for whatever she had to throw at me, and I would not let her break me again.

Detective Brown brushed past me and made her way to the window, seemingly ignoring my presence. A sneer crept onto her lips as she surveyed the bleak, lifeless view outside. "Quite the scenic vista you've got here. Weeds and dead grass as far as the eye can see," she remarked, her tone dripping with cruel derision. I felt a surge of anger rising within me, my fists clenching tightly at my sides.

"What do you want?" I growled, my voice low and dangerous as I repeated my question. Despite my seething resentment towards her, Detective Brown remained frustratingly silent, her gaze fixated on something outside. It was only when she handed me a plain beige envelope that I realized the reason for her visit.

I took the envelope from her, my fingers tracing the raised edges of the paper as I tried to gauge its contents. "What's in here?" I demanded, my eyes fixed on Detective Brown's face as I waited for her answer. She remained silent, but the tense set of her shoulders told me everything I needed to know.

As I slowly opened the envelope, I could feel my heart racing with anticipation and dread. What could possibly be inside? Detective Brown watched me carefully, her eyes gleaming with a hint of satisfaction as she waited for my reaction. But I was determined not to give her the satisfaction of seeing me break. Instead, I forced myself to remain calm and collected, despite the turmoil of emotions raging within me. Whatever the envelope contained, I would face it head on, with all the strength and resilience I could muster.

I opened the letter and it read:

"Dear Ms. Sapphire,

We are writing to inform you that new evidence has come to light in your case. This evidence has proven your innocence beyond a reasonable doubt.

As a result, the District Attorney's office has decided to grant you amnesty. You will be released from custody immediately and all charges against you will be dropped.

We apologize for any inconvenience or hardship this situation may have caused you.

Sincerely,

The District Attorney's office"