emunene - WxS fantasy

nene was born july 20th, 20XX.

  neither of her parents were in a good financial state, leaving nene to practically raise herself from the age of 7.

one cold, october night, nene sat on her porch with a DS in her hands, shivering through her thin sweatshirt yet refusing to re-enter her home.

  her mother and father argued frequently, whether it be over their soon-to-be-due rent, or unfaithfulness, and nene rather freeze for a little longer than have to return to the fighting.

  suddenly, a bright green leaf fluttered over and blocked the screen of her DS, causing her character to die. she groaned, yet soon her noises came to a stop when she realized that the leaf, (which was abnormally green for the leaves this late in october,) had a strange marking on it.

  on the back of the leaf, which had landed right
side up, left a thin, barely indented, yet still deep enough for her to see, arrow pointing left.

  she looked up. left, was the woods behind her house at the back of the neighborhood.

  it was late, and she should be returning home, yet she couldn't rip her eyes away from the patch of trees directly across from her.

  the wind had stilled, yet the leaves still fluttered in a seemingly inviting way, which prompted nene to leave her DS on the old wooden bench they had and slowly crept into the forest, leaving the sinking sun behind her.

  the leaves seemed to motion her along, and the farther she went the greener the grass got and the more alive the plants seemed.

  finally, the breeze had finally stopped, and the leaves that had begun to swirl around her body and head dropped to the floor. in front of her, lay a large pool of clean, blue water.

  she stepped forwards, preparing to see her reflection. instead, inside the clear, light blue water, she saw the eyes of the stars reflecting above her head.

  she could not see the bottom of the pool, yet no matter how close she leaned down, her reflection never came into view.

  her nose was almost to the water, and in anticipation and curiosity she leaned closer and closer to the water, before something popped up directly in front of her face.

  she screamed, launching herself backwards before catching her breath and eventually slowly creeping back up towards the pool to check if what she had saw was real.

  the upper half of a young teenage girl sat right where nene's body should have been.

  the young girl waved when she saw nene return, giggling at her perplexed expression.

  she opened her mouth, yet no sound came out. she grinned, expecting nene to respond, yet the light green haired girl shook her head in confusion.

  the girl with short pink hair frowned, seemingly thinking of an idea. suddenly, she gasped, (or nene assumed, as she made a suprised face,) and turned to the side, motioning for something. soon enough, a blonde boy showed up beside her and waved.

  he too, opened his mouth, yet no words came out. once the two saw the girl could not hear them, he motioned for nene to come closer.
  reluctantly, she leaned forwards, wide eyed and excited.

  closer, they motioned.

  her nose was almost touched the water, yet still closer they urged.

  she closed her eyes and took a deep breath preparing to plunge her face under the cool water.

  yet when she did, not only was she not wet, but she could breathe, and she was falling .. falling .. falling !

  " ah ! "

  " ehehe , wonderhoy ! " the pink girl grinned,
and only now that nene sat on the lush green grass next to her did she realize she was dressed in some sort of -- extravagant show costume.

  the pink tight shirt that hugged her figure expanded down into a lacy skirt, with knee high white socks and a high collar with puffy sleeves. the boy beside her was also dressed very fancy.

  " you're finally here ! we've been waiting for you , nene-chan! " the pink girl happily said, clasping onto nenes shoulders. " i'm emu , otori emu ! this is tsukasa , and rui is around here somewhere too ! " the girl, emu, said.

  " i -- i don't understand ! i have to get going , it's getting la -- " only then did nene look up and realize the clearing they were in was not , infact, dark and cold , yet bright and filled with sunshine and warmth.

  " hehe , what're you talking about , silly ? let's go preform a show ! everyone's waiting on us ! " emu held her hand gently and pulled her up , revealing the fact that she had somehow transformed into a frilly stage costume too , yet the teal-green contrasted to emu's cute pink color.

  " well , i suppose i could always return home later .. " nene said to herself. " perhaps it could be nice , to have a couple friends , "

˚ ⋆。˚ ☾ ˚ ⋆。˚

  nene would return to the world with her friends almost every night , sneaking off into the woods and dipping her nose into the cool water, finding the rest of her show members waiting for her.

  then, they would run off and hang around someone's house, perhaps perform a show for the local townsfolk , before it got dark there too and nene ventured into the woods to return to her own home.

  every night, she dreamt of the warm touch of her friends, the laughter that echoed around the living room they hung around in, the joy she felt when they practiced their songs and emu's happiness radiating off of her, especially memories of emu ..

  yet, every morning, she would still awake to her own small, dirty home in the poor suburbs. she would suffer through chores, screamed lectures, failed school assignments and her drunk father, all because she knew that somewhere out there, there was a place for her.

  a person for her.

  a warm, bubbly, happy, sweet person for her.

  and every day, that person made life worth living, because she made nene smile to the point her cheeks hurt and was exhausted, yet happy nonetheless.

  emu, was nene's person.