one.

ONE
MISSED BUSES

     She didn't mean to miss the bus, no matter how her teacher had made it seem on the phone call with her father

     It had been a particularly rough day, more so than every other day. Her school-appointed grief counselor had suggested that she needed to make friends, and that eating her lunch-ables in hallway by the art classroom was not at all appropriate. She had nearly flunked her surprise math quiz, and her history teacher had seemed more dick-ish today than usual, and in her feeble attempt to stand up for a girl being bullied, Delilah had turned into the target for their attack. It was a not-so-great day, at all.

     Then she listened as her math teacher implied that she had missed the bus on purpose, with the intention of making her father leave work to pick her up, and get him all pissed off in the process as a way to gain some sort of attention. Again, most of her teachers had decided to be dicks together on some random day.

     It was a shit day . . . and Delilah wanted nothing more than to rant to her mom and bake some cookies with her.

     It was all she could really think about as she sat outside the high school, and relished in the semi-warm January air, while she awaited her father's arrival. For a few minutes, her teacher had sat with her, and muttered something about being responsible for the minor, but had given up after about ten minutes. Delilah knew it would be at least another ten before her father arrived on campus.

He did, in less time than what Delilah had allotted for him. His familiar truck had pulled into the half circle designated drop-off in front of the main doors. He didn't honk, or roll the down the windows; Delilah just stood from the bench and scooped up her bag, and approached his truck.

As she climbed into the front seat, and discarded her bag on the floor, no words were shared between she and her father. It was slightly awkward, but Delilah preferred it that way . . . their relationship had been tense for the last (almost) three years. Most days, it felt like they were just ships passing in the night, only communicating when truly needed.

     "I didn't miss the bus on purpose, you know. My math teacher is just a major dickbag."

     "Delilah," Bobby scolded softly, just for the use of her language. "You know better; besides, I don't care that you missed the bus. It's alright to call me if you need a ride."

Delilah nodded; she knew that, full well too.

     Silence fell upon them, like it usually did. She pulled her foot up to the seat, and leaned her head against her knee. She didn't care about the dirt on the seat, she left her mind empty as she watched out the window, the buildings that passed by them as her father merged on the interstate.

It took about five minutes until Delilah realized she didn't recognize any of the buildings they passed. She furrowed her brows before she lifted her head and looked at her father.