Chapter 6

"Oh my, what a wonderful year indeed!" Ryx called gleefully as Andario finally made it to the fourth floor of the Training Centre. Ryx's comment was ill-timed, Andario paying him no mind as he blew past the aquatic-like man, Gabria dominating his thoughts. He had to find a time to apologize. To correct what he'd done.
    After Gabria stormed off, Lydia and Osman chased after her, while Mags and Abriz remained with him. It wasn't until Abriz began yanking him off the chariot to get their design back that he'd surfaced from his pit of despair. The stylist and mentor guided him to the elevator as he felt all tribute eyes on him. Whether it was of envy or amusement, he couldn't tell.
    "Wait!" Abriz called from the elevator. "I need those clothes back!"
    Andario ignored their urgency, his matter weighing as significantly more important. He raced around the floor, weaving through people wearing all-white clothes, opening every door he saw. Finally, he spotted Lydia and Osman at the end of the final hallway, both sharing hushed whispers forming a conversation he couldn't hear. As soon as they spotted him, though, they split ways, Osman aggressively pushing towards him and Lydia worriedly following behind.
    "What did you do, boy?" Osman shouted across the hall, his footsteps heavy as he stomped his way towards Andario. Andario met him with the same aggression, glaring at the old man inches away from his face.
    "I did nothing," he spat. Although he knew he was in the wrong, Andario refused take the disrespect from Osman.
    "Let's settle down," Lydia said, attempting to put herself between the conflict. "We don't want more issues to deal with. We just need to fix the one at hand."
    Osman flicked his arms down to his side with a frustrated grunt. The mentor went back to the door and leaned against the wall, anxiously waiting. Andario wanted the fight to go on, needing the excuse to vent his frustrations about the man, but Lydia dragged him away from Osman and back towards the elevator.
    "How are you doing, dear?" Lydia asked, concerned.
    "I'm fine," he muttered. "Where's Gabria?"
    Lydia sighed. "She locked herself in her room as soon as she got up here."
    He knew it. He'd messed up big time. For once they'd been working together as a team. Now Gabria would have even more reason to resent him. To glare at him each meal. To curse him out to the world. He had a chance to win her over, and he blew it.
    "The poor Avox," Lydia continued as they rounded the final corner. "He didn't know what hit him before she forced him to show her where her room was. His arm was red from her grip..."
    "I need those back!" Abriz exclaimed as soon as they were within eyesight. "What is wrong with you, boy?"
    "A lot, apparently," he responded. He felt angry that Gabria had blown up like she did. Had she genuinely expected him to kiss her like that? Just on a whim at her demand? He also felt defeated, as he knew even in the moment that it would send their popularity rating sky-high. He'd lost their momentum they worked so hard to gain. He felt like a fool. But there was another feeling, one he couldn't place. Like a gap that opened in his heart. It was all too confusing for him to understand.
    "Let's get you cleaned up," Mags stated. "And get Abriz their clothes in the process."
    Mags and Abriz nearly carried him down the hall to his quarters, as in his sad nature his feet refused to walk on their own. They guided him to a room, his room, but he wasn't able to register much. They tore off his clothes, Abriz folding them neatly on his bed, and both mentor and stylist threw him into a similar shower to the one he'd used aboard the train. They quickly shut the door, calling out to make him aware they'd be just outside. He slumped down to the floor, the warm water pelting down from above.
    It meant nothing. Absolutely nothing. Gabria knew that. He knew that. So why did he hesitate? Why did he freeze? He smacked the back of his head into the tiled wall of the shower, pressing his palms into his eyelids. What he also didn't get was his reaction. Why was the hesitation such a disaster? Why did he feel like this? Why did Gabria's allegiance matter so much? One of them had to kill the other eventually. So why did it feel like such a loss? He smacked his hands into his forehead, then allowed them to drop to his side. He stared at the light, the only thing he could register being the water hitting his skin and running down his crunched up body. He felt numb, like he frequently did, but this time it was different. The numbness was sadness, not out of a need to protect himself. And the sadness wasn't in relation to Albarus, like it always had been. He was just numb.
    He watched as droplets trickled down the strands of hair that fell in his face, slowly collecting up into a bead at the end before the tension released and gravity sent the water plummeting to his knees. He recoiled from reality for a while, sitting and blankly staring. After what seemed like an hour, Abriz knocked on the door, beckoning for him to join them. He sat for another minute, heavily contemplating staying on the cold shower floor, until he took a deep breath and heaved himself up, pushing through the fog that had settled over his mind. He decided to clean himself a bit further before exiting, clicking random buttons that spurted out one lotion or another. He didn't really care what it was or where it went, he just wanted to feel like he'd accomplished something. Finally, after he'd rinsed out the citrus-smelling shampoo — or what he'd assumed to be shampoo — he tapped a few more buttons until the shower shut itself off. He was dried from the heated panel he'd stepped on as soon as he hopped out, and proceeded to fool around with many other devices. One completely smoothed out his hair, another applied what he assumed to be moisturizer, and a strange little one near the sink simply gave a motivational quote each time it was clicked. After hearing his third quote, he wrapped a towel around his waist and decided it was time to join his mentor and stylist.
Mags stood in the centre of the room, remaining incredibly still and calm. Abriz, on the other hand, sat on Andario's bed, looking bored and impatient. When the door slid open, they both jumped to attention, watching as he entered the room. Abriz silently pointed to a panel attached to the wall, and Andario swiped through the endless closet choices. It was fairly silent for a while as he swiped through the selections, finally settling on green slacks and a black button-up. He got changed behind a Capitol-imprinted folding screen and had just begun to put on the brown belt to tie it all off when Abriz spoke up.
"Are you going to explain what happened?" The way they said it was blunt, yet Abriz held a soft tone. Andario acknowledged they were trying to show concern or create a safe space, even if the execution wasn't the greatest.
"I fumbled," he shared, clipping on his locket Abriz had left on a small stand for him.
"Fumbled?" Mags inquired.
"We were contending for first. Gabria had an idea that would have made us the talk of the Capitol, and I couldn't do it." He cleared his throat in the following silence, feeling uncomfortable.
"What was the idea?" Abriz asked. He'd hoped that they'd leave it unasked, but he knew it wasn't probable the moment he shared.
"She wanted to kiss," he mumbled abruptly. Mags pressed her lips together, while Abriz raised an eyebrow. They both seemed to be piecing together the benefits and reasoning.
"I suppose the Capitol would have enjoyed the tragic lovers act," Abriz said. "But how they'd take it during the games would be questionable at best."
"Especially if you both separated, which you probably would given the gap in skills," Mags agreed. Andario didn't appreciate his mentor sharing that there was a gap between his and Gabria's skills, but he knew she had a point.
"I guess, yeah," Andario said.
"It would have helped currently, though," Abriz threw out. "Would have drawn the audience to your interview and your training score numbers."
"I know that," Andario huffed. He marched over to a plush chair next to his bed and slumped down into the velvet cushion.
"What's done is done," Mags concluded. "We should be focusing on what's to come now. How well do you think you did in the opening ceremony?"
"Aren't we going to see it aired in a bit, anyway?" He was confused as to why she didn't just wait to see herself.
"Give me an estimate."
He took a second to think. Jade and Brass's clothes were astounding, similarly with Alice and Link. The Capitol citizens obviously considered their designs captivating, as all eyes trailed the District 1 and 3 chariots. The outfits Abriz and Lydia made for them garnered attention, but it was Gabria and Andario's acts that pulled them into the runnings. The Capitol loved their energy, their look, and their supporting of one another. It could have easily pushed them up to first, but he doubted they'd been able to reach that spot.
"I'd say third," he replied, "with Districts 1 and 3 ahead of us."
"That's a strong start," Mags stated. Abriz seemed disappointed it hadn't been first, but Andario knew they were confident with their design. He also knew their work was astounding, unmatched even. If the Capitol hadn't retained a limited attention span from their wealthy lifestyles, they would have been less drawn by the shininess and more drawn to the best design, allowing for an easy District 4 win.
"We'll watch the replay later, but for now we have to talk about training," Mags continued, guiding along the conversation. "These next few days will be crucial for your chances."
He nodded along, listening intently. Andario had to work hard during the training days, as he hadn't gained many skills throughout his life to survive the Games.
"I want you to focus on trying a variety of weapons the first day," she stated. "Find ones that you're comfortable with, and keep them in mind. You're already behind, so you need to find what you can use to defend yourself."
"Right," he agreed.
"You also need to learn more survival tactics than just fishing," Mags advised. "Learn about plants, traps, camouflage, knots, whatever you can."
"Any I should prioritize?" He asked.
"Anything you can remember or have a talent for," she suggested.
Abriz was bored, sitting and listening to their conversation while flattening out their dress. "Make sure you look good, too," they nonchalantly huffed. "Training is as much a social-political event as it is a physical and mental one."
Mags looked to them in agreement. "It's the time to build relations and decide on allies, if you do decide to go that route. It's also where enemies can be made, and you should avoid the negative attention at all costs."
Andario wanted to ask more questions, but a knock on the door interrupted his thought as soon as he opened his mouth. Ryx opened the door after they'd audibly welcomed him in.
"Dinner is served!" He said cheerfully. Then, he rushed off as fast as he'd arrived, his bouncing steps flapping his artificial fins against his hair. Andario followed Mags and Abriz to the dining room, his mind preoccupied.
He knew that he had fishing down, and he had some experience with a spear. He wanted to make sure he had at least one other weapon he knew how to use. He also needed more survival tactics. He wanted to dabble in a bit of everything the first day, find what he was good at, and work on them the second and third days. He knew that both him and Mags had registered he'd have no skills he'd be able to hide from his competitors. It was a hinderance, to say the least, but overall it was a better hindrance than going in with his current set of skills.
Andario also questioned what the atmosphere would be like. He wondered which tributes would form allegiances and which ones would steer clear of one another. Many of the tributes this year seem to have some form of close relation to their District's other tribute, which would be hard to wedge into for anyone. He knew Jade, Brass, Tizona, and Gladius would form a group, and Gabria would most likely make an attempt to join them. He figured Link and Alice would stick together, as well as Kellett and Deccan from District 6. He also saw Teff and Thresher sticking together. Beyond those pairings, everyone else felt unpredictable. He'd have to work his way around each tribute and see who he could forge alliances with. He'd also take that time to assess who posed a danger.
As soon as the dining room came into view, he scanned around for Gabria. She hadn't arrived yet, though, as only Ryx and Lydia sat at the table, with Osman nowhere to be seen. He questioned why her absence disappointed him. She would have given him a death stare all dinner. Now he could enjoy his meal in peace. Yet even as he sat down, guilt and sorrow washed over him.
    Young people dressed in all white outfits silently rushed around their table, serving food and stealing away empty dishes. They continually brought more and more food, most often a meal Andario had never seen. He had been right, the Capitol was trying to wean the District 4 team off the sea-based dishes they'd known and onto Capitol-dominated dishes. If it wasn't for the artificially enhanced flavour, Andario would have enjoyed the food. Tender meat that fell off the bone, fresh and nutritious plants, soft loaves of bread, and smooth tasty drinks. He filled his mouth with food he couldn't even describe, each bite a new and interesting experience after bracing for the richness.
    "So, Andario," Lydia said. "How are you liking the Capitol?"
    Andario had to refrain from laughing. Only a Capitol citizen would think to ask such a stupid question. "It's wonderful," he lamented.
    "Isn't it?" Ryx continued, clearly oblivious to the situation, as usual. "I think it's a wondrous place. If only everyone could live here!"
    "If only," Andario mumbled, suppressing his amused smile. The conversation was ridiculous, that was for certain. The well-off Capitol citizens asked a District boy suffering at the hands of their government how much he liked the place. He was being sent to die for their entertainment, and they made this kind of small talk. He knew it wasn't Ryx and Lydia's fault, as it's how life has been probably since they were born into their wealthy little lives. But still the comments rubbed him the wrong way. How Capitol citizens had such privilege to ask a question to someone they were escorting to a slaughterhouse. He felt like a scrawny pig as they tried to fatten him up and profit off of his corpse.
    What's more, although Ryx easily stated his support of everyone living in the Capitol, Andario knew the man hadn't meant it. For one, the District people were considered animals to them, filthy beasts who would infect their paradise. Their implementation would instantly be regarded with disgust and fear by the Capitol people. Not to mention it would imply that many more Capitol people would have to abandon their whimsical livelihoods to sustain themselves in District-dominated industries, which nobody would be happy about.
    In the awkward silence, Andario watched the people in white move in and out of the table, not even communicating as they coordinated themselves to keep the table full with food. He admired their ability to understand others and work around them. He thought it must have taken them an insane amount of time to develop the skill, and was throughly impressed. The Capitol must have paid a high price for them to tend to twenty-four tributes and their respective teams.
    "How's Gabria?" Andario asked to cut the silence.
    Lydia sighed, her lips pressed together. "She's doing her best, I'd say."
    She was doing her best, Andario knew. He'd known her for many years, and he knew she was restraining herself to the best of her abilities. Based on Lydia's expression and Gabria's absence, though, it seemed she was furious at him for his mistake. He slouched a little lower in his seat.
    The rest of the dinner went quietly, Ryx and Lydia sharing the majority of the small talk that struggled to hold back the dead atmosphere. They ate a sweet red cake that Andario found delectable, and he went in for seconds as he waited for the others to finish their pieces. Finally, Ryx called out to everyone, jumping up and scurrying over to the television mounted on the seating area wall, frivolously clapping his hands. They all joined him, Andario dragging over his cup of hot chocolate, a delicious creamy Capitol beverage.
    They sat in the semicircle of plush velvet seats as the anthem blared from the speakers. Andario took this time to sink into his own cushions and sipped from his mug as he let it warm his hands. The Capitol seal vanished from view, and it was instantly into the opening ceremony, with District 1's chariot pulling out of the stadium. Andario's suspicions about the Capitol's attention span was confirmed as soon as he saw Jade and Brass's outfits, which sparkled and flashed every second they were on screen. They resembled a mound of shiny gold that glinted in the sunlight, immediately drawing your eye, only the glint was perpetual and blinding. He did have to admit, though, the stylists did a good job.
    Tizona and Gladius looked plain, but they made themselves even more forgettable by sporting unamused faces, providing no interaction with the crowd or even so much as a strong stance. Alice and Link's outfits rivalled that of District 1, with small lights intricately placed along their clothes that could instantly change the design. For the majority they lit up as sound waves, but the versatility lended itself to the Capitol's short attention span just as well as the sparkly gemstone outfits.
    And then came Gabria and Andario. They looked even more beautiful than he'd realized, the gemstones reflecting the sunlight in a way that made them resemble a typhoon crashing forward. Gabria was right, he did present his sheepish smile at the start. After he'd corrected himself, though, everything seemed seamless, both of them exuding confidence and grace.
    "That's our tributes!" Lydia called cheerfully.
    "Did you even have a doubt given our designs?" Abriz muttered, rolling their eyes.
    The rest of the tributes, Andario noticed, had been in the same boat as Tizona and Gladius, each outfit looking somewhat bland on the wearer. Saudamini and Sturm from District 5 wore some form of ancient thunder god costume, with what seemed to be an artificial cloud hanging around each of their waists. They received a modest applaud from the crowd, which was more than could be said about the majority of the tributes that followed. Kellett and Deccan from District 6 were decorated to resemble the whole of Panem, but it just looked like blue and green clothing. Ash and Alder from District 7 wore an amalgamation of metal, probably in an attempt to reference chainsaws and axes. Satin and Chevron were covered in loose fitting fabric that beautifully danced behind them, which garnered them an applause similar to that of District 5. Yew and Samson were simply dressed as butchers, with not much else extraordinary about the look. Tamari and Huck looked beautiful, both sporting flowing clothes made of vines, leaves, and moss. They looked like gods of the orchards, and would have came in third place had they not resembled the winning design of two years prior from their own District. And Galena and Magnus were completely naked, coated in coal dust and shivering from the exposed skin. This was typical of District 12, and nobody really batted an eye at it.
    Andario continued watching his and Gabria's performance, impressed by the person he saw in front of him. The way he spun her, the way he caught her, the way he handed her the rose, it exuded confidence and tenderness at the same time. Their hand holding was sweet, showing a careful support for one another. Their waltz as they rounded City Circle was breathtaking, like something out of a fairytale. His inexperience didn't show, either, as Gabria had expertly navigated teaching him in the moment. They seemed separated from the world, a small pocket in space where only they resided. Even the way they danced as the chariot continued to round the City Circle seemed fake, as though it was overlayed on the image. Finally, they watched the final moments, where Gabria pulled in close to him, where they stayed, where he froze. The crowd cheered on, yet he knew they would have cheered louder had he gone with Gabria's plan.
    "That was brilliant!" Ryx exclaimed. "You did wonderful, dear hero!"
    "Yes, you did good, given your skill set," Abriz nonchalantly added, inspecting their heavily manicured nails. Lydia nodded along with their words, having nothing more to share.
    Andario looked over to see Mags's reaction. He knew she'd be the best judge. She'd know exactly how much he'd have to work to pull it all around. But as she turned to meet his eyes, she gave a gentle smile. "You did good," was all she said.
    Andario's heart skipped a beat. He hadn't expected the words, but it was exactly what he needed to hear.
    "I think no kiss worked," Abriz threw out. "It left it open."
    "A kiss!" Ryx screamed, flabbergasted.
    "What kiss?" Lydia asked.
    "I agree," Mags stated, ignoring Lydia's question. "It held a longing quality in the air. Made you both seem like a mystery, almost like you were tragically forbidden. And longing has so much more potential for sponsors than fulfillment."
    Longing? Andario hadn't seen it that way. He saw uncomfortable tension. But he couldn't see from an onlooker's perspective, so he opted to trust their judgement. But if they hadn't flopped at the end, and if the audience would enjoy their "longing," where did that place them? Were they able to claim first place after all? The most popular tributes in the eyes of the Capitol?
    "You should head to bed now, Andario," Mags said. "You have a long day ahead of you."
    "How do you think we did?" He inquired. He knew if he hadn't asked, he'd be laying awake in bed thinking about the very same thought.
    Mags considered the question before answering. He watched as she ran the numbers, the cogs turning in her head. "I would say you scraped by with second place, but had a longer lasting effect that left the Capitol needing more," the older woman stated. "You didn't take first, but you unintentionally gave yourself the advantage for the interviews."
    He nodded in agreement. That was better than he'd been anticipating. He excused himself following Mags's suggestion, heading towards his quarters. As he rounded the corner, though, he silently pumped his fists. He'd helped Gabria by not following her plan, and he no longer had to feel guilt over the moment. They would be fine, and their interviews would garner them even more attention. He'd won the political portion of the Games. A smile spread across his face as he slid his door open, the last thing he heard from the seating area being Ryx and Lydia grovelling for any indication of what they meant by kiss.
    A scrawny boy no older than him stood waiting for Andario in his room. Andario jumped, not expecting anyone to be there when he entered. He observed the boy's hazel eyes, his short black hair, his freckled face. They could have easily passed for cousins, Andario thought. The boy quickly met Andario at the door, holding out a fresh pair of silky black pyjamas that contrasted his own rough white clothes. Andario then recognized him as one of the people who served them their meals.
    "Hi," Andario said while accepting the pyjamas. "Do you mind me asking how you all are able to work so well without communicating?"
    The boy vigorously shook his head, standing incredibly still.
    "Do you mind telling me your name then?" Andario asked.
    The boy continued to shake his head, adding in a cross motion with his hands near his neck to indicate his refusal.
    "Okay, then..." Andario walked over to the folding sheet to change, perplexed. He didn't think asking for someone's name was that big a request. He wondered if it was considered disrespectful in the Capitol to ask someone for their name. If that were the case, though, he'd have already insulted Abriz the first time they met, and Abriz didn't seem the type to mask their annoyance. He chalked it up to the boy's personal preference, or maybe some form of client-worker confidentiality.
After Andario had changed, he gathered up his clothes from the evening and intended to set them next to his bed for tomorrow. As soon as the boy caught wind, he rushed over, holding out his hands towards the clothes Andario was holding.
"You want these?" He asked.
The boy seemed hesitant, but began to nod cautiously. Andario handed them over slowly, still confused by the entire interaction. The moment the boy felt the touch of fabric, he hurried out the door, leaving Andario lost as he looked onward to where the boy had disappeared. He thought that had been the strangest interaction he'd had since he'd arrived in the Capitol.
Andario brushed the boy out of his mind and tucked himself under the sheets. He thought of life back home, wondering how everyone was faring without him. Had Seb and the Captain continued their playful banter? Had the Dulses continued to bake tirelessly? Had Atlanta continued her training, and did Anguilla step in as her instructor? He felt the hole in his heart left by his absence from District 4, which had remained relatively hidden up till now due to the demanding days he'd been wandering through. He missed his sister, his crew, his home. He missed the smell of the sea, the taste of fish, the familiarity of the surroundings. He remembered the smell of his sister's strawberry perfume. Had she been watching him? Was she proud of him, like she'd said? He gripped the locket tightly as he pondered.
After a few minutes of reminiscing, Andario passed out, the day's events having drained him beyond relief. He hadn't noticed how tiring it had been until he settled in, when the fatigue instantly rippled out to every inch of his body. This time, his sleep didn't harbour any dreams, and he was gently awoken by palms rocking his arm back and forth. He opened his eyes to see the boy had returned, still wearing the same all white clothes.
"Hi," he croaked, still groggy. "Did you need something?"
The boy shook his head.
"Are you here to wake me up?"
The boy nodded.
Andario pulled himself to an upright position with a yawn, stretching his tight limbs. He noticed the boy had laid out an outfit for his day, which slightly resembled the one he'd worn the evening prior.
"Thank you," Andario said, gesturing to the clothes. As if terrified, the boy rushed out of the room, leaving Andario confused yet again.
Andario decided to have a proper shower unlike yesterday, taking the time to read each button and determine which one did what. He did try out a few of the extra features, such as scents and massaging sponges, enjoying the experimentation. The Capitol had such ridiculously lavish features, it was almost comedic.
    Once he'd washed himself off, he changed into the clothes the boy provided to him. He recognized he'd have to change after breakfast, as the blue slacks and white button-up did not provide much in the way of mobility, but he wore them in appreciation nonetheless. It was a small gesture, but he wanted the boy to know he welcomed it. He also enjoyed being able to dress up in expensive clothing, feeling the need to indulge himself in a high-end look whenever he could.
    When he arrived in the dining room, he saw Mags at the table, already slowly eating at small chunks of fruit and taking sips from a mug. She smiled and nodded at him, Andario returning a good morning. They sat and ate as they discussed his strategy while in training, as well as what he should keep an eye out for in terms of other contestants' skills.
    "Watch for what they steer clear of," Mags advised. "Sometimes mentors will have tributes stay away from their best skill, so that they can have the upper hand in deluding the other tributes."
    "But what if they're doing what I'm doing and trying everything?" He asked, digging into an egg and lamb stew. He'd stacked his plate high, but he also made sure to not overeat, as he didn't want to be sluggish in training.
    "Then keep an eye on what they're most comfortable with," Mags explained. "There will be some skills they'll seem to pick up naturally. Make note of them, as it'll probably be what they use in the arena."
    "Got it," Andario stated through a mouthful of food.
    Just then, Gabria rounded the corner. She instantly caught his eye, but turned away as soon as he smiled at her. His eyes lingered as she settled into a chair and began loading her own plate before he dropped his face down to the food in front of him. She was still mad, but she'd cooled herself down enough to not strangle him on sight. He supposed that was an improvement, but her reaction left him disappointed. He'd hoped the efforts they'd made in the opening ceremony would have bridged their old friendship back together in some way. Perhaps it wouldn't be possible, though. They might have been too far gone from the beginning.
    "Wonderful display yesterday," Mags said. Andario knew she was addressing Gabria, but he didn't hear any acknowledgement, let alone a response.
    The breakfast passed silently, the three eating at their food and hiding away in their own thoughts. Andario grew increasingly grateful that Gabria wasn't present for last night's dinner, as otherwise he'd have enjoyed it about as much as he was enjoying this meal.
    Near when they all had cleaned their plates, a Ryx Andario had never seen before emerged from the confines of his quarters. He looked terrible; his hair disheveled, his silk robe lazily strewn over his body, his face sapped of energy. "Coffee," he mumbled over and over again as he approached a steaming pot and poured himself a mug. As soon as the man took a sip, his flattened fins jumped up, and he instantly gained his regular liveliness. Andario supposed even the cheerful and ignorant Capitol people found it hard to keep up the act sometimes.
    Ryx ate a light meal, claiming he was following a "new diet" that was circulating around the Capitol. The concept sounded ridiculous to Andario, so he left the table to change into clothes that suited the day of training ahead. He selected light sweatpants and a lighter shirt, both completely black with no design. He needed them for their function, not their look. He quickly changed and headed for the elevator, where Gabria stood waiting for him and Ryx. The District 4 escort waddled over to the elevator, balancing his second cup of coffee, and they were off to the basement level of the Training Centre.
    Andario watched as the Capitol buildings grew larger the further down they went, the sun barely reaching over the high-rises. The windows glinted in the early morning light, reflecting a beautiful pattern of colour he'd only barely seen in the windows of the Lily. If he weren't sent here as a spectacle to die for the citizens' amusement, he might have spent more time enjoying the metropolitan of luxury. He was so enthralled with the light show, he didn't see the doors open, nor was he able to anticipate Gabria's silent mutterings directed at him. "Keep your distance."
Andario and Ryx stood in silence, watching as she left. Andario wasn't surprised by her words, just disheartened. It'd been the only words she'd spoken to him since the chariot entered the stables, and he'd hoped that it would have been something more friendly.
    "Well, good luck to you, dear hero!" Ryx said it supportingly, but Andario picked up on the uncomfortable undertone. He took the hidden message and stepped off the elevator, leaving Ryx alone, watching as the sea green man lightly sipped on his coffee while the doors closed. He was truly left alone now. He had to do his best to develop skills, information, and potential alliances. It was all up to him, and his survival depended on it.