Stirring Embers

London - 1842

It was gloomy in Bran's study. He was sitting at his desk staring into the distance while he smoked his pipe, oblivious to the fact the fire had burned low and there was only one lit candle.

'I had to read the same story to Mary and Merry four times before they'd go to sleep,' I said, crossing the room. 'Apparently I was doing the voices wrong.'

He jerked as if he hadn't realised I was there.

I traced my fingertips along the edge of his desk, it was amazing he could find anything amongst the heaps of books.

He stared at me. 'You're beautiful.'

I smoothed the front of my deep green dress then tucked a loose curl behind my ear.

'You're always beautiful,' he said. 'I don't tell you enough.'

'Given you take every opportunity to list all the ways in which you think I'm perfect, I'm sure I'll survive the blow.' I drummed my fingers on the corner of the desk. 'Mortal though it is.'

He lowered the pipe.

'This has to stop, Bran,' I said, quietly. 'Letting them arrest you wasn't just foolish, it was dangerous. I'm bloody furious.'

He closed his eyes and turned his face away.

I leaned towards him as much as my corset allowed. 'I understand why, Brandon, but it stops. Now.'

'I –'

'We have children, they need their father. Another act like that could get you, or someone else, killed. I swear to God, I might just kill you myself if you do it again.'

He chewed the end of his pipe.

'You've saved me and you've saved other people. You need to start saving yourself.'

He put the pipe down on its rest. 'The world has changed. I don't know what to do.'

I sighed and straddled his lap, despite the disagreement of my many-layered skirt. 'I can appreciate that.' I slid my hands inside his open shirt and rested them against his warm chest. 'I won't let you get lost.' My nails bit into his chest, blood trickled.

He hissed and his hands clenched on my hips.

'Sorry.' I inspected my bloody nails, the scratches on his chest were already healing. 'Claws.' I flexed my fingers and they retracted.

'I like it.' He made to kiss me.

I tilted away and sucked blood from the end of my thumb. 'I thought you didn't want to play.' I got off his lap and headed to the door. 'Don't stay up too late.'

Bran caught me and we banged into the door so hard it rattled. He pressed against my back and kissed my neck.

I grinned and turned to him. 'Changed your mind?'

'I love you,' he whispered.

'Very wise.' My nails scraped but didn't break his skin. 'You have made me very angry.'

He caressed my face and traced my lips with his thumb. I bit it, tasting blood citrus sharp with energy.

He lifted me up, I wrapped my legs around him and he stumbled into the corridor. We banged into the bookcase opposite. He ripped my bodice and kissed the tops of my breasts over my corset. I scored his back with my claws.

We both glanced towards the stairs, the bedroom was such a very long way away. He gave me a look he hadn't given me in months.

I grinned. 'Yes, please.' I kissed him so hard my fangs split his lip.

It didn't take long before he was resting his face against the curve of my neck and breathing heavily. A minute, if I was being generous.

'Sorry,' he murmured.

I wasn't sure if he was apologising for brevity, foolishness, or both. I dug my hand into his hair and tilted his head back. 'Stop apologising, Brandon.'

The front door opened and Josef came in. He paused then shut the door as if he hadn't walked in on anything.

Bran turned red; his hair was loose, his shirt hanging off, and it was only my legs stopping his trousers from falling down.

'You're home early, Sef,' I said, still breathless.

Bran put me down and I stepped in front of him while he fastened his trousers and tugged his shirt back onto his shoulders.

'The company wasn't very entertaining.' He hung up his hat and coat. 'Not a problem you've had, I see.'

I made to close my bodice but it was a lost cause. 'Should've stayed and partied with us.'

He gave me a suggestive look.

I sighed. 'You know what I meant.'

He chuckled and I slapped his chest lightly.

'I'm going to get a drink.' He headed for the library sword stick in hand. 'A big one. Can I tempt you?' His smile was wicked.

Bran gave him the disapproving look I'd been encouraging him to use and Josef looked chastised. I smiled.

Little feet ran along the corridor upstairs. 'Daddy!' Mary practically bounced down the stairs and jumped into his arms.

'At least my tiny terror is pleased to see me.' He kissed her cheek with an exaggerated 'mwah'.

She squeezed his neck tight and gave him a kiss on the cheek with an even more exaggerated 'mwah' making him grin. 'You gotted do story 'cause Mummy don't do voices proper.'

'That's terrible,' he said as if it was the worst thing that ever happened and it was my turn to shoot him a disapproving look.

He ignored it and handed me his cane. Living with small children he didn't like to leave it lying around in case they figured out how to pull the sword out. I wouldn't put it past them.

'Yes!' She gripped his cravat. 'Speshly dragon voice. Everyone know dragons got deep, boomy voices 'cause they're big.'

He nodded, completely absorbed in the conversation, and smiling that smile he only gave the children. Even I had to admit it was a lovely smile. 'Well, obviously.'

'Mummy can't do deep boomy voices 'cause she's small.'

I opened my mouth to object that I was simply bad at doing voices.

'Then I think we should let her off.' Josef nodded solemnly. 'You know which story you want?'

'Merry's got storybook.' She clapped.

He carried her upstairs and once they out of Mary's hearing I said, 'I never imagined Josef being a good daddy.'

'You imagined him being a daddy?' Bran looked like he was holding back giggles.

'That's a fair point.' I held the library door. 'Drink?'

He inclined his head. I slapped his rear as he went by and he laughed. We could get through this.