Unexpected News

Paz walked anxiously to the medical bay. She felt a mix of emotions as she thought of all the possibilities that could be making her sick. She hadn't eaten any strange food recently or been around anyone that has had an illness. That is another positive about being on Pandora, there are not many viruses that spread so easily as they do on Earth.

However, without fail Paz has been sick to her stomach every morning. There was one possibility that she knew could perfectly well may be the cause of her morning sickness, but pushed the thought aside. Not because she didn't want that to be the case, but at this stage of her life she is not ready. As a marine pilot, Paz is a planner. Every decision she makes is calculated and she keeps in mind the consequences that could result from her decisions.

"Paz Socorro?" A doctor in a white lab coat draws Paz out of her trance. "Follow me please."

"Alrighty Ms. Socorro, after reading your symptom chart I have a few questions for you," Paz nodded nervously and let out a sigh.

"Have you eaten anything unusual in the past few days?"

"No."

"Have you come in contact with any of the indigenous recently?"

"No. I see them sometimes when I'm flying my airship but never up close."

"Perfect. Ok, and when was your last cycle?" Paz looked up at the doctor and gulped.

"Uhm, I – I think it was about a month ago?"

"Are you late?"

"Yes." Paz stared at the floor in shame. "Actually I believe it has been closer to two months ago."

"Ms. Socorro this is nothing to be ashamed about, it is simply nature, I'll just run some tests and we'll see the results. Now if there is a possibility you may be pregna-

"I am not pregnant! I can't be!" Tears welled in Paz's eyes. She hoped Pandora's low gravity would be the culprit of her body's confusion. She was still holding onto a sliver on hope as the doctor led her into the ultrasound room.

As the doctor started the exam, Paz turned her head away from the screen, anxiously awaiting her fate. "You can look at the screen if you wish, Ms. Socorro." The doctor observed that Paz had her eyes shut in anticipation.

The doctor continued to glide the probe around her stomach. "Well Paz, it looks like you are in the clea- huh? Wait a minute. I hear a heartbeat." The doctor smiled brightly at Paz.

"Well I'll be damned, this baby will be the first human child born on Pandora."

Once Paz arrived back to base, a scramble of emotions and a thousand thoughts flooded her brain. What would her squad think of her? Would she still be able to do the thing she loves most – flying? Would she be sent back to Earth? And perhaps the thought she had the most, 'Will I be a good mother?'

And Miles. Miles. What will he think? As head of security for the RDA, he has thousands of other things on his mind. Nearly 50, being a father isn't exactly in his life plan. Even Paz knew this. But she also knew she had to tell him. Even if it is not his responsibility to be a father.

The doctor had sent Paz to get a care package. Even though no woman on base had yet to become pregnant until this point, the RDA was still prepared. Things like this are bound to happen. The main RDA office where her package was waiting for her was right next to the AVATAR Program Lab. Curiosity struck the young pilot as she walked out of the mail room, care package in hand. She had always passed the lab when heading to base but she never saw what was inside.