2. 𝙷𝚘𝚖𝚎

✯ [ 𝚜𝚘𝚙𝚑𝚘𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚑𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕] ✯

"𝐻𝑖 𝑇𝑜𝑏𝑦!" I approached him with a smile on my face, giving him a big hug.
"H-𝚑ey, [Y/N]!" he said quietly, smiling and hugging me tightly. While in his embrace, I could hear the cracking of his joints as he twitched. I looked up and kissed his lips gently.

"Hey, are you okay?" I was concerned about the texts he sent me the night before:
" I want to just stop existing ", along with other upset texts.

I wasn't sure if he was being his usual "emo and angsty teen" self or if this was something serious, which most of the time it was. 

"I just hate it th-there... I h-hate my parents. My dad makes fun of me for my t-tics and stuttering. My mom l-lets him hit me. They are constantly bickering, yet she won't divorce him. And Lyra is never home anymore to de-defend me." He responded.

Toby always had a rough home life. It's the main reason we always hung out at my house and had dinner there.
"I'm so sorry, Toby... maybe if you want you could stay at my house for a few days and relax. It'd be like an extended sleepover!" I suggested cheerfully.

My parents loved Toby.  In fact, they were overjoyed to hear the news that we were going out. They thought he was smart and a good kid. They were used to him staying over; he's done it since we were younger.

"Yeah, I'll s-see. My dads probably too drunk to care, so I'll probably j-just get my stu-stuff after school and come o-over."

Toby was used to coming over for the weekends to avoid staying at home for too long. My parents were cool with it, as long as we were being "smart and responsible".

•    •    •

I walk out to greet Toby with a hug and kiss, then walk over to Lyra's car. Toby doesn't drive because his parents don't have the time or the money to teach him.
"Hi Lyra! How are you?"
"[Y/N]! It's so awesome to see you! I'm super good, how about yourself?" She asked politely. We made small talk for a while, then she had to go home and get ready for work. Lyra was gorgeous, with dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes, the same as Toby. I saw her as an older sister; hanging out with her was always fun.

"Hello Tobias!!" My parents called in unison. "Hello sir, h-hello Mrs. [L/N]. I-I brought cookies for dessert.." Dad shook his hand and my mom hugged him. "Oh that's perfect! You're too sweet!" my mother exclaimed.

We ate dinner and my parents left us alone to work on homework and watch a movie.

"D-do you think th-they likes my co-cookies? I think I m-made them too sweet..." he questioned. He was always doubting himself.
"Toby, they were perfect. I've never seen my dad eat that many cookies at once, like, ever. They love your cookies." I assured him.
"Are you almost finished with your homework? I wanna watch a movie together!" I exclaimed softly.

"Y-yeah, are we w-watching it in the living r-room or yours?" he asked.
"Well, we can watch in my room if you'd want, my parents won't mind...", my voice trailed off. My parents didn't care, but anytime we were alone in my room they'd give me a talk about being "responsible".

I led him to my room and I put on a movie. I pat the spot next to me, inviting him to sit on my bed with me. He scooched over to my side, leaning his head on my shoulder, twitching every few minutes.

"You should lay in my lap so I can play with your hair." I say, smiling. He puts his head on my lap and I run my fingers through his thick hair.

"Th-thank you, [Y/N].." he murmured sleepily.
"You don't have to thank me for anything, Toby. If you're sleepy then sleep, love."