002

୨୧ ━━━ # !
CH. TWO
THE BEGINNING
( ꜰɪꜰᴛʜ ʏᴇᴀʀ ) ft. a flashback into ( ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ʏᴇᴀʀ )

Warning: This content may not be fit for all audiences.

"DRAW A MONSTER. WHY IS IT A MONSTER?"*

The Rage was a creature her father had wrestled with all his life. Like a dragon breathing fire down your neck no matter how far you ran, the Rage was equally as relentless and shared the venom of a snake, sneaking tendrils of poison that spoiled your blood with white anger.

It was more than just emotion. It crowded your vision, left you blind and reaching through a never-ending red haze.

The Rage wasn't a monster by itself, it turned you into one too.

Juno was thirteen. They'd all just gotten back from a trip to Hogsmeade and a visit to their mother.

(Looking back now, this was the beginning of the end—the mark of the Rage's control and the origin of Jailbreak Juno, a crude nickname she'd been granted.)

Achilles sucked on a butterscotch candy as his eyes scanned the contents of his copy of A Tale of Two Cities. Meanwhile, Juno grasped the back of his jumper to make sure he didn't run into any people (or walls for that matter) as they made their way down the corridor.

"You know, most people look where they walk," Juno said.

Achilles glanced up briefly before replying, tone flat. "I trust that you won't let me fall on my face."

"And if I do let you trip?"

"Then you'll take me to the Infirmary. Either way, you're stuck with me."

Juno rolled her eyes at him but kept her hand at the neck of his jumper regardless. He was right. She wouldn't let him—she lurched forward to keep her brother balanced.

Achilles stumbled as an extended foot tangled with his own. He hadn't completely tripped (Juno had caught him), but the crowd of laughter echoing from a group of boys made it clear it didn't matter if he fell or not. His surprise (and the landing of his novel into a discarded half-full drink) was entertaining enough.

"C'mon, Juno! Ditch your loser brother and go on a date with me." Tittering snickers resumed at the loud confession.

Marcus Belby was a stocky boy with a couple inches and years over her. He was a rowdy Ravenclaw (how he made it, she couldn't tell you) in the same year as her who'd been pestering her for a date since the beginning of the term, but Juno was far from impressed.