Little Fool 10

Chapter 10
Final Meat

The end of the year just arrived, snow piled up.

Under the eaves of the new house hung snow lanterns1. Jingshan sold the last pig's trotter, grabbed the remaining 5 catties2 of fatty pork and went next to the stove.

The fatty pork was cut into lumps and all were placed into the pot to render the fat and make fried pork lard3. Changgeng loved to eat fried pork lard the most. Ever since he fried some up last time, Little Fool couldn't stop eating it. Everyday he would work the till while he stared at the fatty pork.

Jingshan chucked a few large sweet potatoes into the fire under the stove benchtop4 and started kneading noodles. Tonight, they were making youfa noodles5. Whilst he was busy lighting the fire and cooking dinner, Changgeng was also busy boiling a pot of hot water. That water was for Jingshan to drink after it cools down slightly.

The front of their door was piled with snow and frosted over. The jujube tree had also turned bare. Not a speck of green could be seen around Zhenshang. Winter descended as scheduled. Inside the house was warm and toasty. Changgeng's finger got burnt by the roasted sweet potatoes. He scrunched up his little face and pinched his ears before continuing to busy himself peeling their skins. Caramel yellow sweet potatoes were very sweet. He chomped off a bite and held it near Jingshan's mouth, mumbling, if Jingshan doesn't eat it then he won't eat it either.

Jingshan got some chopsticks and helped Changgeng mix his noodles. The two of them fed each other the sweet potato. You a bite, me a bite and shared it all.

After they were full from dinner, Changgeng washed his face in the house. He water was nice and warm. He scrubbed himself very seriously. Looking at his two hands soaking in the hot water getting red and soft, it made people want to love and protect him. Jingshan sat next to the bathtub and touched his two hands to check them, "Are you cold?"

"N-not cold." After Changgeng washed himself clean, he dociley hugged onto Jingshan, "With Jingshan here hugging me, I'm not cold o-one little bit at all!"

The inside of the house was warmed with a coal brazier. The two nestled in each others arms and chatted on the kang, relaxed and content, talking about recent happenings in Zhenshang.

Changgeng smacked his lips talking about the deliciousness of fried pork lard, still wanting to eat some more. He also listed through which pastry shops were the most scrumptious in Zhenshang. He was fidgeting and wriggling restlessly as Jingshan patiently listened. His two arms wrapped tightly around and squeezed his melon flesh saying, "Be good, let me hug you properly."

Precious melon relaxed. He leaned into Jingshan's bare chest not knowing where to place his hands.

Sandwiched in his arms, he felt that as long as he was together with Jingshan, foods were particularly delicious, pine nut candy was sweeter than usual, his heart felt warm and full. No matter if he was feeding chickens, washing dishes or sweeping, he felt spirited.

"Changgeng," Jingshan hugged him and asked him seriously, "If back then I hadn't come back, what would you have done?"

Little Fool didn't quite understand clearly, hearing this at first he thought Jingshan needed to leave again. He was suddenly anxious, "Y-you have to leave again?"

"No, I'm saying, if back then I hadn't come back, what did you plan on doing? Would you have married someone else?" Jingshan comforted him, massaging his melon flesh and words warm.

Changgeng pouted his lips, and for a second, seemed as if he wasn't a fool at all, "I don't want to marry anyone else."

Little Precious Melon's response left no room to budge.