Chapter 1: New Beginnings

"Hey Cody, I'll see you when I get home!" Zack yelled to his twin brother as he started walking to the park. It was finally Friday in Boston and there nothing else to do but enjoy the weekend. It was the beginning of May and school would be out for the summer soon.

"Okay, I'll see you later," Cody returned. He finished saying bye to Zack and Tapeworm and got on the bus to go back to the Tipton. Zack was on his way to go to the park with Drew and some of his friends. Zack and Cody had a rough start with Drew and the Drew Crew near the beginning of the year but as the school year went on, Drew stopped picking on Cody and he became friends with the twins.

The bus dropped him off at his stop and Cody made the one block walk to the hotel. He said hi to Norman once he arrived and walked in to be met by Mr. Moseby. 

"There's one hooligan missing I see," he joked.

"He'll be here later Mr. Moseby." Cody replied.

"Mmmmmm," Mr. Moseby said in his posh voice as he walked back to his desk. Cody laughed at him and made his way to the elevator. As he was about to hit the button to go up to the 23rd floor, he heard Maddie call him over to the candy counter.

"Hey, Cody!" She said. Cody turned around. 

"Hey Maddie," he said.

"I saw Keith and Carey in the lounge earlier, looks like they're getting pretty serious," she said to him. Keith worked at the country club down the street as Club Manager on Thursdays and weekends, and then on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, he worked at the Tipton as a Concierge. 

"Really? What makes you say that?" Cody asked. 

"They're always smiling when they're together and they started having lunch with each other."

"That's great, I'll have to tell Zack!" Cody said. He's met Keith a few times when their Mom brought him back to the suite and Cody thought he seemed pretty nice; he even brought back gifts sometimes, like comic books for Zack and a rock collection for Cody.

"Yeah, It's good to see Carey getting out there again." Maddie said in return.

Cody nodded and then ran up the stairs to go to the elevator. Once he arrived on the 23rd floor, he walked to the suite and opened the door.

"I'm home!" He called out.

"Hi honey, where's your brother?" Carey returned.

"He's at the park, he'll be back in probably an hour."

"Okay, perfect. I made you boys a little dinner, I'll be heading downstairs for Friday's show rehearsals in a little bit."

"Okay."

"Oh, and Keith might come up here this afternoon. He has the late shift today and he starts at 6PM today, so if he gets here early, you can let him in." Carey said. 

"Alright," he said as he dropped his backpack in his room. He looked at the clock above the stove; 4:25PM. He sat down on the couch and started doing his homework for the weekend. He always did his weekend homework Friday afternoon so he would have Friday night and the rest of the weekend to hang out with his brother. As 4:45 approached, Carey got ready to go downstairs.

"Alright Cody, I'll see you later. If you need anything, I'll be right downstairs as always."

"Okay, See ya later!"

Carey closed the door and went downstairs, leaving Cody in the suite. He continued working on his homework after she left. Around 45 minutes later, he was finishing the last of his science homework when he heard a knock at the door.

"Coming Zack!" He yelled. He made his way to the door and opened it. It was Keith.

"Hey Cody!" Keith said once he saw the younger twin open the door. He took his hand and ruffled Cody's hair. "Is your mom home?"

"No, she said you can come in though. She's at rehearsals." Cody said. Keith walked in and closed the door to the suite behind him. He went to go sit at the table as Cody went and sat back down on the couch to finish his homework.

"Whatcha workin on over there pal?" Keith asked.

"My science homework."

"On a Friday?" He asked.

"Yeah, I usually get it done early so I can hang out with Zack on the weekends." Cody said.

"Ooooh alright. You always were the responsible one weren't ya?" Keith said with a chuckle.

"Yeah."

A ringing noise started coming from Keith's pocket while he was at the table. He took out his phone and looked at it.

"I gotta take this pal, I'll be right outside."

"Okay," Cody replied. Keith went out in the hallway and began talking to whoever was on the phone with him. He was out there for around three minutes before he came back in. 

"I'm back," he said as he went back to the table. He put his phone in his pocket along with something else he returned with from the hallway.

"Where's your brother at, anyway?" Keith asked.

"He's at the park. He should be back in like twenty minutes."

"Oh, he's not in his room?"

"No. When he gets back though, we're gonna go down the game room!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, that is if Mr. Moseby lets us." Cody said. Keith let out a chuckle.

"Good ol' Moseby," he said. He then stood up and went to the main room where Cody was. He went over to his couch and sat down right next to him.

"Do you need any help with the homework?" He asked Cody.

"No, actually I'm just about finished. Now I'm just waiting for Zack." Cody said back to him. He put his homework sheet in his folder and got ready to take it back to his backpack in his room before Keith grabbed his arm.

"Hey, uh Cody?" Keith said. Cody noticed his eyes looked, different

"Yeah, Keith?"

"I just um, wanted to tell you th—" he bagan.

"I'm back!" Zack yelled as he swung the suite door open. Keith instantly let go of Cody, pretending nothing happened. 

"Oh, hey Keith," Zack said once he saw him sitting on the couch. He turned to look at his brother.

"Is Mom at rehearsals?" He asked him.

"Yeah. She'll be back later. She made us dinner." Cody said as he put his folder back in his bag. 

"Sweet!" Zack cried. He dropped his backpack near the kitchen table and plopped down on the chair near the couch.

"Hey Cody, it's 6! Wanna go down to the game room?"

"Yeah, sure Zack." Cody said. That was when Keith finally spoke again.

"It's 6PM? Welp, I should get going," he said to Zack. "Cool talking to ya Cody!" He yelled to the twins' bedroom as he made his way to the door to the hallway. After he left, Cody came back into the room and sat on the couch across from his brother.

"Hey, Zack?" Cody asked.

"Yeah?"

Cody thought about telling him about Keith grabbing his arm. He's never felt worried like that before; especially after seeing Keith's eyes.

"Ehh, never mind. You ready to go downstairs?"

"Yeah, Let's go!" Zack said.