Nail Polish and Braids

“Oh! Cyrus, it's you.”

Luna said with a smile, opening the door as she saw who was standing in front of her house.

“Hi!”, Cyrus with his usual grin greeted.

It was becoming a normal thing for the Briggs family to see Cyrus show up at their house regardless of the time. It was not like they do not like Cyrus, it was Harlan who they were surprised at first. For the record, Harlan did not date nor bring anyone home before he started dating Cyrus. Luna didn't even know the name of most of the people Harlan had hooked up or hung out with. It was always referred to as that guy from the club, that one from the party, that one from the gym, or that one with a weird fashion sense, etc, etc. At least, it felt better to see her twin brother trying to get settled with someone— decent. And she thinks Cyrus is more than decent, he's great.

“Harlan is out to the store to get some food and drink, he should be back soon,” Luna told Cyrus as she welcomed him into the house. Cyrus looked like he come straight out of his house, judging by his scrunched-up grey shirt and pants and the fact that it was evening. Luna could smell some scent of air fresher, the one she would get at Cyrus’ house.

“Ah, I see. I’ll wait,” Cyrus replied, sitting down on the couch. He looked around the house for a second before he turn his focus back to Luna who seemed to be struggling with whatever she was doing.

Luna was searching something, pulling out some drawers one by one. She looked a bit frustrated. He noticed that Luna's hair was still in the process of being styled, with strands curling up and looking messy. It seemed like she was in the middle of straightening it before he arrived. She was wearing a rose brown floral print long puff sleeves top with a short pair of white jeans as if she was going for a night out.

"You look great," Cyrus said, trying to lighten the mood, “Are you going somewhere?”. 

That caught Luna from her frustration. She turned to Cyrus, trying to force a smile, “Thank you and yes, Blake and I gonna have a girls’ night out”.

“Cool,” Cyrus said with a hum. Luna was giving up on her struggle, she slumped her arms down, rolling her eyes with annoyance, “Fuck it, I can’t find my hair clip and my straightener is broken!”.

Cyrus chuckled a little, "You could braid it", he suggested. Luna shook her head, “I don’t wanna. I want my hair down, no tie.”

“I meant it like some tiny little braids here and there, They might suit your outfit,” Cyrus replied, gesturing at her clothes. Luna seemed to think about it for a second but then, she shrugged.

“I don’t think so, it’s a little tricky and it would tire my arms out as hell.”

“I can help you,” Cyrus simply offered, “Of course, only if you want me to,” he added with a comfortable smile. Braiding hair was nothing difficult for him and he can gladly help someone trying to get their best look.

Luna hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Actually, that would be great cuz I’m only half done with my make-up."

Then they found themselves in Luna’s room, upstairs, preparing her for the night out. Cyrus stood behind  Luna who was finishing her make-up. He grabbed a brush and a few hair ties from Luna’s desk.

“Okay, let's get started,” Cyrus said as he began to brush out her hair. Luna could feel Cyrus’s hands moving deftly through her hair, dividing it into sections and starting to braid. He worked quickly and efficiently, which was a little surprising to Luna. Cyrus created a beautiful pattern of braids that crisscrossed around her head. After a few minutes, Cyrus tied off the last braid and turned to Luna with a smile. “There you go,” he said, “All done.”