Chapter Twelve: Care to dance?

I nervously stand in front of the tavern. Markus and Lucifer are poised next to me on each side. Markus stands to the left, and Lucifer stands to the right. I hear slight complaints from anyone trying to go in or out of the old tavern because we block the doors. It feels like we have become bodyguards with how straightened our back postures are.

"So, the end of our quest," Markus acknowledges. Lucifer keeps himself silent for a moment, and I nod.

"The money is going to be nice to have." Lucifer eventually says, "I could buy myself some new fabrics with that and get to sewing them together."

"My blade will never see a dull day," I comment, touching the hilt of my sword with a nervous shake. The quest's end had rapidly approached us, and I didn't expect it to be right in front of me behind the tavern door.

I knew the ending goal, so why am I shocked? I wanted to scream at both of them often, but now I'm so emotionally invested and want to open up in ways I hadn't been able to do in the past. Since they will eventually backstab me, I shouldn't, but I want to take this risk. Markus reaches his hand towards the tavern door until I feel my mouth moving without any thought behind it.

"It doesn't have to be the end of our adventures!" I shout, startling them. Lucifer gives me a confused look while Markus holds back a grin.

"Are you trying to say you want to stay with us?" He says; I can tell he seems giddy, practically jumping in place. Lucifer has a slight smile on his face.

"Yes, I don't want to lose complete contact!" I shout again before lowering my voice, realizing I don't need to be so loud with what I say, "I enjoyed our quest, I hate to admit it because both of you had annoyed me incredibly at the beginning, but yes, I liked it."

Markus cheers, practically bouncing on his toes as he pumps his fists. "I knew you warmed up to us; you can't get rid of us now! Especially me; I'm stuck with you like a blood-sucking parasite."

Lucifer nods but rolls his eyes at what Markus has said about the parasite, "We would love to keep helping you out with future quests; at least, I know I would like that."

The moment is so peaceful. My heart is next to a cozy fireplace wrapped in a snug blanket. I wish to hold onto this feeling forever, but I cannot. I must go in and get this quest over with.

Afterward, I will decompress from the stressful moments that have piled up in the past few days.
Markus happily opens the door again, and the tavern looks like it did before.

Fredrick wipes at the bar counter while making a face at a few goblins who seem to be obnoxiously loud in the right direction. Once he looks away from the few of them, he spots the three of us and gestures for us to come over. I hesitantly do so as Markus sticks by my side; perhaps he was on the nose with that parasite comment.

Lucifer is the first to make it over to the counter, waiting for a proper response to escape the mouth of Fredrick. Instead of saying anything, he gestures to one of the tables near the band. The cloaked man sits, face unseen, as he sways slightly to the loud band.

The band this time is different; it's a bard playing the lute while a half-dragon is playing the drum, tapping along with a gentle tune as the bard keeps an energetic movement with his fingers on the lute.

They must have been playing for a while; sweat glistens from their faces, and the bard's fingers are slightly red with irritation. The bard doesn't immediately capture my eyes; my attention is focused on the half-dragon.

Half dragons aren't common around here, and I have never seen one so joyful to be playing a backing tune to the bard. The ones I met wanted to be the center of attention; they would get incredibly aggressive if they weren't hogging the spotlight. This is a nice change of pace. I hold back a smile and look toward Markus and Lucifer.