Bro (Romantic) (Aoita/Todoita)

A/N: Hiya! I apologize for not posting sooner, given that I was actually cleared to post it last November, but it’s here now!😂
This is one of two fics I had the pleasure of writing for "Citrus" an AllYuuji Zine, a zine centered on Yuji Itadori love (romantic and platonic, sfw and ns/fw), and I'm excited to finally share it with you all (before anyone asks, the second is ns/fw and will not be posted here. It is however on my ao3)
In any case, I hope you all enjoy!! This fic is a no curses au of Jujutsu Kaisen, based upon the idea that Toudou's fake memories of he and Yuuji in junior high really happened.

♡♡♡♡♡♡

It's just like every other morning since the two became friends. Yuji sits against the chain link fence around the perimeter of the school roof, flipping through the pages of a manga—this morning, it's the first in a new series in the sports genre about a ping pong club—and Toudou stands beside him.

"The new series is pretty good."

"Oh?" Toudou takes a wide stance, bends his knees, and hovers over Yuji, likely attempting to look at the pages.

Well, it's almost like every other morning. Toudou is genuinely interested in what Yuji is reading, as usual. They're together on the roof, waiting for class to begin. However, this morning, when Yuji feels Toudou's presence at his side, an odd feeling creeps up into his throat. It's almost like a fingernail is trailing up it, pressing harder against his throat by the moment. There's a hitch in his breath as Toudou leans over him.

Yuji feels it when Toudou shifts his attention away from him and to the yard of the school. He feels it in the way his breathing resumes and a lump forms in his throat.

There's something wrong.

Well, not exactly wrong, just not right.

Even after a few minutes, Toudou says nothing, so Yuji swallows hard and resumes reading the manga. He tries to keep from glancing over at Toudou, and the two stay silent until the first bell rings.

~

Yuji stands up almost immediately as the last bell of the day rings. 

Finally.

School has felt almost suffocating these past few days between schoolwork, others constantly asking him if he's found a date to the school dance, and that weird feeling he's been having around Toudou.

It really is weird.

It's not as if they're avoiding each other or anything. They still spend their mornings and lunches together, they still partner with each other in class, and they even walk home together. Still there's this...distance.

But if I had to… If I have to guess…

Yuji's eyes catch onto a poster that's taped to the wall opposite the door as he exits the classroom.

The poster is a simple one. The navy blue poster board is covered in pasted on white stars, reads "Written in the Stars Dance Friday!", and also details the date and cost per ticket.

That's right. Yuji sighs. The school dance.

That weird feeling has been around since Toudou brought up the dance.

The posters had been set up less than two weeks in advance, but Yuji hadn't really acknowledged them. He’d glanced at them, but because he couldn't find it in himself to care, he'd pretty much forgotten there was going to be a dance in the first place.