Edgar Allan Poe's Complete Poetical Works

COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS ***

Produced by Clytie Siddall, Charles Aldarondo, Keren Vergon and the Online Distributed Proofreading Team.

THE

COMPLETE POETICAL WORKS

OF

EDGAR ALLAN POE

BY JOHN H. INGRAM

PREFACE.

In placing before the public this collection of Edgar Poe's poetical works, it is requisite to point out in what respects it differs from, and is superior to, the numerous collections which have preceded it. Until recently, all editions, whether American or English, of Poe's poems have been 'verbatim' reprints of the first posthumous collection, published at New York in 1850.

In 1874 I began drawing attention to the fact that unknown and unreprinted poetry by Edgar Poe was in existence. Most, if not all, of the specimens issued in my articles have since been reprinted by different editors and publishers, but the present is the first occasion on which all the pieces referred to have been garnered into one sheaf. Besides the poems thus alluded to, this volume will be found to contain many additional pieces and extra stanzas, nowhere else published or included in Poe's works. Such verses have been gathered from printed or manuscript sources during a research extending over many years.

In addition to the new poetical matter included in this volume, attention should, also, be solicited on behalf of the notes, which will be found to contain much matter, interesting both from biographical and bibliographical points of view.

JOHN H. INGRAM.

CONTENTS.

MEMOIR

POEMS OF LATER LIFE: Dedication Preface The Raven The Bells Ulalume To Helen Annabel Lee A Valentine An Enigma To my Mother For Annie To F---- To Frances S. Osgood Eldorado Eulalie A Dream within a Dream To Marie Louise (Shew) To the Same The City in the Sea The Sleeper, Bridal Ballad Notes

POEMS OF MANHOOD: Lenore To one in Paradise The Coliseum The Haunted Palace The Conqueror Worm Silence Dreamland To Zante Hymn Notes

SCENES FROM "POLITIAN" Note

POEMS OF YOUTH: Introduction (1831) To Science Al Aaraaf Tamerlane To Helen The Valley of Unrest Israfel To----("I heed not that my earthly lot") To----("The bowers whereat, in dreams, I see") To the River---- Song Spirits of the Dead A Dream Romance Fairyland The Lake Evening Star Imitation "The Happiest Day," Hymn. Translation from the Greek Dreams "In Youth I have known one" A Pæan Notes

DOUBTFUL POEMS: Alone To Isadore The Village Street The Forest Reverie Notes

PROSE POEMS: The Island of the Fay The Power of Words The Colloquy of Monos and Una The Conversation of Eiros and Charmion Shadow--A Parable Silence--A Fable

ESSAYS: The Poetic Principle The Philosophy of Composition Old English Poetry

MEMOIR OF EDGAR ALLAN POE.

During the last few years every incident in the life of Edgar Poe has been subjected to microscopic investigation. The result has not been altogether satisfactory. On the one hand, envy and prejudice have magnified every blemish of his character into crime, whilst on the other, blind admiration would depict him as far "too good for human nature's daily food." Let us endeavor to judge him impartially, granting that he was as a mortal subject to the ordinary weaknesses of mortality, but that he was tempted sorely, treated badly, and suffered deeply.

The poet's ancestry and parentage are chiefly interesting as explaining some of the complexities of his character. His father, David Poe, was of Anglo-Irish extraction. Educated for the Bar, he elected to abandon it for the stage. In one of his tours through the chief towns of the United States he met and married a young actress, Elizabeth Arnold, member of an English family distinguished for its musical talents. As an actress, Elizabeth Poe acquired some reputation, but became even better known for her domestic virtues. In those days the United States afforded little scope for dramatic energy, so it is not surprising to find that when her husband died, after a few years of married life, the young widow had a vain struggle to maintain herself and three little ones, William Henry, Edgar, and Rosalie. Before her premature death, in December, 1811, the poet's mother had been reduced to the dire necessity of living on the charity of her neighbors.