Chapter Fifty-Four

˚₊໒🌙꒱Sunwoo₊˚

Sunwoo's entire body froze when he saw his brother standing beside Jihyo. He had tunnel vision. Beomseok was... Seojun? How had he fooled Sunwoo so easily?

He'd masked his scent well. He'd never once thought it was his brother that left the pack decades ago.

It surprised Sunwoo how well he'd kept it from him. He hid his face until the right moment, changed his name, and Sunwoo never suspected anything.

So he could sweep the rug out from under Sunwoo. He'd done a great job.

"Brother?" Jihyo asked, looking between the two of them. She tossed her head back dramatically and laughed. "You're joking? This is your brother?" she asked, looking at Sunwoo.

Sunwoo gave her a clipped nod. "I told you I had a brother, I just didn't realize he was this person. Obviously, I didn't think my own brother would attempt to  take him down the pack that raised him."

Jihyo cringed. She'd slept with his brother. The knots in his stomach twisted and made him feel ill. He watched Jihyo bend down to her knees, fall back on her butt, and laugh.

"This just keeps getting better and better."

Sunwoo cleared his throat, trying to weigh his options. He hadn't seen his brother since he abandoned the pack long before. He always thought he hated pack life and took after their mother. But he was stewing in the fact he wasn't the alpha all this time.

He resented Sunwoo for taking the position when it was Sunwoo's to take.

"Are you surprised?" Beomseok asked. "Because you look surprised."

Sunwoo glanced at Jihyo who looked grossed out and pissed, and shrugged. "I guess so. I didn't think my own brother would betray me, but oddly enough, now looking back, I guess it isn't far out of character for you is it? You left the pack without a peep. Those are characteristics of a coward, so why wouldn't you gather an army of rogues to destroy the only home you've ever known?"

He chuckled. "On the contrary, brother." He pointed at jihyo. "This was my home before she found you. Somewhat. I lived with Jihyo for a few years, ya know. That reminds me," he said, looking over at Jihyo. "I went by the apartment and rent is due. I'll need your share soon."

Sunwoo felt his wolf skim the surface, begging to be set free to kill Beomseok. He wanted to kill his own brother.

"Calm down," Beomseok said. "It was all a coincidence that I met her. When I realized she was your mate, it just made my plan so much easier. I'm surprised you changed this one. She seemed content  living a life with me, away from the pack. I guess true love really does beat all."

Sunwoo felt some of his pack members making their way closer. They'd followed his scent as he asked. Nayeon finally listened to him and gathered everyone quickly.

"So what's your plan, Beomseok? Kill me and take over the pack? do you plan to kill Dad? Mrs.Lee? I know you're this big mean pack killer, but I don't see you doing it."

Beomseok's face turned serious. "You'd be surprised at what I've learned to live with, Brother. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. I know the pack is on the way, and my friends are nearby. you give the pack to me, and I'll let Jihyo live. You fight me, and she'll be dead within ten minutes."

Sunwoo hadn't seen his brother in years, decades, and he didn't know what he was capable of anymore. Would he kill Jihyo, or try, he didn't know.

But he couldn't risk it.

The alpha inside of him, though, would not let Beomseok win this. Sunwoo's wolf howled, and pawed, in desperation to get free. "You think you're stronger than me?" Sunwoo asked with a laugh. "Have you been hitting the gym, because we both know that you weren't growing up?"

Walking a circle around them, Sunwoo sized his little brother up and down. Something he knew he hated. "Don't look any bigger than before. Are you sure this is going to go in your favor?"

Beomseok's fingers curled into fists at his sides. "You're the same asshole as before," Beomseok laughed.

Sunwoo shrugged. "All alphas have  a little bit of that in them." He stepped in front of Beomseok, all his pent-up anger boiling to the surface. "But you wouldn't know about that, would you, Beomseok?"

Sunwoo watched Beomseok fight his wolf. Sunwoo eyed Jihyo, hoping she caught his hint for her to make a run for it when this started. He still couldn't get through to her with a mind link.

"Don't get scared now, Beomseok. I'm ready to show you why I was chosen as the alpha."

Beomseok snapped quickly, his body shifted into his wolf, and he landed inches from Sunwoo's face, teeth bared.

Sunwoo watched Jihyo scurry up to an upright position and run for the woods like he wanted her. He felt his heart tugging to follow her, but he needed to end all of this.

Sunwoo shifted and faced his brother for the first time in decades. The passive part of him wanted to feel sorry for Beomseok, blame it on Mommy issues, dig deep, and find out why Beomseok had gone down this path.

The alpha inside of him wanted to taste his blood for threatening his pack.

for threatening his mate.

For putting him through hell.

Memories of them playing in the woods surfaced.. He wanted to shake him, make him remember all of the things they went through together. How Sunwoo comforted Beomseok when their mother abandoned them.

He made sure Beomseok had everything he needed for school.

And that he made friends on the pack land.

Sunwoo never knew he resented him for becoming alpha. He felt the tension in the woods, his wolves squaring off with Beomseok's, and he sent up a silent prayer that Jihyo made it to safety. That she ran into her father or someone that would take care of her.

Beomseok would either give up or die trying, either way, Sunwoo was ending this once and for all.