Trinidadian Dance

Dance and movement are sacred in many Indigenous (and non-Indigenous) cultures. Whether it be ceremonial or not, dance and movement are protective, healing and liberating, and connect us to our ancestors, mother nature and our communities. In this sense, dance is often spiritual and affects how Trinidadians interact with others. Among other reasons to dance, dance is a profound cultural aspect of Trinidadian communities!

Encompassing the cultural traditions and fusion of African, Indigenous, Asian and other cultures and peoples, Trinidad has a variety of enriching dances that celebrate community, liberation, joy, health, and much more. These dances are acceptable for people of all different identities to learn about and participate in (respectfully)!

Limbo Dance

This traditional Trini dance, popularized by Julia Edwards in the 1950's, has become a well-known traditional Trinidadian dance that pulls from traditional African culture! This beautiful dance signifies the emergence from death into life, and the goal is to pass beneath a bar as low to the ground as possible.

Watch a video:

Calypso Dance

The Caribbean Calypso dance is an Afro-Caribbean style of dance (with African and European roots). Mostly recognized in Trinidad today, (primarily Black) enslaved peoples in the Caribbean came up with this dance as a method of communication with its own instruments incorporated into the art.

Watch a video:

Kalinda Dance

This fantastic dance is a form of martial arts as well as war dance and folk music combined. This dance originated in the 1720's and was developed by Native American & African enslaved peoples in Trinidad at the time. Heavily based in Indigenous war dances, Kalinda freed dozens (if not more) of enslaved Trinidadians.

Watch a video:

Wining:

Wining (also spelled as Whining) is a traditional Trinidadian dance move involving a the intricate circling of your waists! It's often used when dancing to Soca music, or during Carnival, but it's very popular to dance to even when you're playing your favorite beats at home.

Watch a video:

Bélé Dance:

Bélé dance is a combination of African traditional dance and Caribbean culture, environment and musical instruments. Its origins go back to Benin in festivals, a ceremonial cultural experience that relates to mating and fertility, which had strong influence from male and female Creole dancers and culture. This evolved form of dance is popular in Trinidad and other places around the world!

Watch a video:

Trinidadian Dancers

Out of this exquisite culture, dozens of Trinidadian dancers have rose to fame. The talented and powerful dances of Trinidadian culture have bred some of the strongest dancers of any generation. Trini dance is a form of freedom, expression, art, liberation and community love! These dancers hold this truth close to home as they share their skills and share their dance with the world; Here's a small list of influential Trinidadian dancers to learn about!

Julia Edwards - Also known as the "Queen of Limbo" or the "First Lady of Limbo," Edwards popularized the form of Trini dancing known as Limbo during the '50s and '60s, and even invented some new forms of Limbo that she showcased on stage. Born in 1933, Edwards lived a full, lively life and in 2017 with a crown on her head. Edwards was also known to be a great choreographer and opened up her own dance company, Julia Edwards Dance Company, which is still running and teaching others the power of dance today.
Support the Julia Edwards Dance Company here - https://www.facebook.com/people/Julia-Edwards-Dance-Company/100064503883413/
Watch this video of the Julia Edwards Dance Company in 1995:

Kieron Dwyane Sargeant - Kieron is a famous Trinidadian choreographer. He's known to be a "Trinidadian-born interdisciplinary artist, choreographer, dancer, and dance researcher emerging out of the African-Caribbean tradition." Focusing on Black Trinidadian dance, he shapes Trinidadian dancers of this generation.
Read more about Kieron Dwyane Sargeant here: https://virtualdance.studio.uiowa.edu/people/kieron-dwyane-sargeant

Molley Ayhe - This dancer and educator earned her PhD in Performing Arts, and she even won the 1980 - Trinidad & Tobago Hummingbird Medal Gold (for Dance). She performed between 1952 and 1965 at Little Carib Theater, and after she went on to educate others about Caribbean dance and hosted dance classes. She was born in 1933 and died peacefully at the age of 84 in 2018.
Read more about Molley Ayhe here: https://thejenelle.wordpress.com/molly-ahye/

Find more influential Trinidadian dancers - There's so many notable & talented Trinidadian dancers in the past and today! Learn more about them here: ww.bestoftrinidad.com/dancers.html

Want to learn more about Trinidadian dance?

Watch these videos on Trinidadian dancing: