6 - wolves

August 1890:

I love the way that the sun bounces in the summertime, how the house seems so much more alive and dynamic. Even though the days are much longer, I can't be too mad about them, since they're always so pretty. Finally, I've received a postcard from Italy from my Father, he's in Venice and sends his love and prosperity. Summer nights are often sleepless and stuffy, but the servants decided to spend some of the evening outside over at the folly, where Jack told us horror stories. They began tame, but he told this story that really freaked Hetty and Sheila out.

"Have you ever heard of the Wolf Boy?" He began, an owl hooted as Hetty and Sheila wrapped their blanket around them, "They say an infant wandered into the woods and got lost inside. There, in the darkest part of the forest, he came across a pack of bloodthirsty wolves."

"Did they eat him?" Sheila asked.

"Some would say he had a worse fate. They chose to keep him, and raise him as one of their own," he continued, picking up the lantern placed next to him, "Over time, the boy learned how to move, howl, hunt, even think like a wolf, until he forgot he was ever human to begin with. Now, he roams the forest with his pack, his soulless eyes searching for their next kill."

Instantaneously, we heard the sound of a twig snap, we all rose in unison, turning towards the origin of the snap.

"I didn't imagine that." I said, my fingers curved over the crook of his arm, his energy echoing onto me. I took the lantern out of his cold hands, pointing it towards the source of the sound.

 I took the lantern out of his cold hands, pointing it towards the source of the sound

"Whoever's there, show yourself." Hetty said, stepping forward, waiting for a reply.

"It was probably a deer. Come on, let's call it a night." Jack said, taking the lantern back from me, I felt a light pressure on my lower back, t'was Jack, again. I walked forwards towards the house, listening to Hetty and Sheila ramble on about how there's someone watching us.

----------

The next morning, us girls were in the kitchen polishing, placing, and perfecting the family's extensive cutlery collection.

"A rabid boy who eats raw meat - please, say it's only a tale!" Lizzie cried, drifting across the kitchen in worry.

"Whatever it is, something's definitely out there." Hetty commented.

"Don't worry, you'll hear his tortured howls first and then you should run as fast as you can!" Agnes added, poking fun at Lizzie's genuine terror. The footsteps of Brody put an end to Agnes's fun.

"Lizzie, I need you to watch over Constance," she started, the master bedroom bell rang, "The nursery maid is out with Mrs Calendar and the baby." 

"I'll go." I whispered to Agnes. She nodded and I made my way up to the master bedroom. To my surprise, it was Mrs Calendar.

"Yes, Phillipa. I just wanted to ask you if you could change the sheets in this room and mine." 

"Of course, milady."