𝐢𝐢𝐢. big brother

the 72nd hunger games—

THE MINUTE the cold air hit Makara's face, she could feel the quaking sinkness in her body. Her heart panicked at the sound of the loud echoing voice that counted down.

As she looked around, it was bright, but freezing cold. Her thin jacket was not helping as she could feel her legs shaking beneath her, though she couldn't tell if it was nerves.

Where was Wells? She muffled, hiccuping with anxiety as she looked around in the circle of the tributes. In the middle of them stood a tent with supplies and she already knew what she was going for.

"3,2,1." Makara immediately sprinted towards the tent, the snow slightly slowing her down as she eyed the sword. She looked around her to see all of the tributes fighting, but all she could do was run.

She grabbed the sword out of the scabbard, before tossing it over her body. Before she could go anywhere, a large body appeared in front of her, pushing her backwards. Not until then did she see his body drop. "Let's go!" Wells said, grabbing her wrist as the two ran.

"Go! Go, go," Makara yelled, grazing one of the victors legs with her sword that ran toward them. She didn't even think about it until the girl hit the ground, screaming in agony.

They ran into the woods, silence taking over them, until it was just the sound of their feet hitting the ground.

"Wells," Makara deeply breathed, trying to catch her breathe as she fell into the tree. He immediately stopped, turning back towards her, "We have to keep running, Kara. That's what Beatrice said!"

"No! Beatrice said to fight! We are gonna run into nothing in a minute. I need to breathe!" Makara struggled holding her heart. Wells looked at her in confusion, shaking his head, "Are you asthmatic or something?"

"Wells I— get away from me." Makara demanded harshly, making him put his hands up in defense. "Sorry, kiddo. Should've grabbed an inhaler on your way out."

"Run to the edge, dickhead." She demanded, pushing past him as she continued to walk up the hill.

Makara winced at the rough breeze that almost pushed her over, looking at the long fall that she would've took. Her heart felt as if it stopped, not harder than how she felt when her name was announced.

She remembered the heartbreaking look on her fathers face, shaking her head at him not to say anything. God, that's all she ever sees. How she could basically see him crumble when her name was shouted.

"So, who are you seeing when you go home? Family?" Makara rolled her eyes at him, "My dad. You?" She sighed, knowing she had nothing better to do. "My baby sister. You remind me of her a lot."

Makara looked back in confusion, "How?"

"Well, your bitchy— no offense. You've got the hair, your sweet when you wanna be. Like that time at training. That really reminded me of her." Wells explained. "I can tell you love her. Is she all you got?"

"Yeah basically. Moms dead, dads dead. If I wanted to count anybody else I could count my neighbor." Makara chuckled, "Neighbors make the best company when they're not annoying twats."

"Right?" Wells smirked, before hearing the faint chatter. Makara turned around putting a hand on her lips as pointed to the voices. He looked toward his far left, seeing two of Districts 12 tributes.

"We need to go." Makara demanded, shooing his backwards. "What? No, we need to fight! This is the safest place we found yet." Wells argued, "I don't care! Turn around and walk down the hill. Do you wanna die?"

"Do you wanna die is the question?" Makara grunted before realizing the soft sound of chatter was no longer there. And neither were they.

Makara let out a scream as she was lifted off the ground and tackled, Nadia immediately trying to stab her but she dodged it quickly. Makara head butted the girl making her fall backwards, before she quickly sent a kick her face.

"You little bitch!" Nadia got up once more, grabbing her knife at the sight of her running. Nadia looked around, her body circling in confusion as she looked around, "Come out, Makara!" She taunted.

Makara's throat tightened, squeezing her eyes shut as she looked to her left. There she stood a knife in her hand and a smile on her face. "You can't hide forever!" She screamed and she was right.

She reached to her side, pulling out her sword as she charged towards her, only for the stronger girl to take advantage of this dodging her completely as she sent a stab to her leg causing her to cry out in pain as she was pushed to the ground.

"Your so young, so weak," Nadia chuckled, going in circles around the girl as she held in her leg, "You should've known."

Nadia tried to stab her in the throat, but it was her turn to duck, twisting her arm backwards and grabbing the knife out her hand. Nadia shouted, stumbling to the ground as she hit the snow.

Makara let out a piercing scream as stabbed her multiple times in her chest, her whole body feeling as if it was on fire and all she saw was red. She didn't stop until her arms grew tired, letting out loud sobs between each stab, before she was grabbed. "No!" She screamed, turning around to fight.

"Hey! Hey! It's me!" Wells eyes traced to the dead body, "Get off of me!" Makara continued, punching his chest. He tried to grab her wrist, only wincing at the pain in his chest.

"Fucking stop! It's me!" He now yelled, placing two hands on her face as Makara's eyes traced his face. The girls vision was blurry and the sight of him was like seeing her brother finally return home. "I know." Wells nodded, pulling her into his chest.

Makara tried not to cry, squeezing him tightly. "Can you walk?" He asked, pulling away. She didn't even answer, just staring at the bloody snow around her. "No? Okay."

She winced at the feeling of being lifted up, "Your heavier than you look." He chuckled trying to lighten the mood as she laid her head down on his shoulder.

Makara was shocked at his need to take care of her. She never had a brother to take care of her. And she couldnt help but love the feeling. She felt six years old again waiting at the door for her dad to return even though everyone else in the house knew he wasn't.

So, as she squeezed him and closed her eyes she felt safe. Wells held her closer to his body, looking around as he walked. He was determined to let this little girl win.

She had to win.