LOVE'S IN NEED (OF LOVE TODAY) | 04

FRI, MAY 6TH, 2016...

"Hey, you dropped the kids off yet?" Siddiqah's dulcet voice, a complete contrast of her twin sister's rich one, came through loudly on the speaker of Carnation's car.

Usually, if she wasn't working over the weekend, she was spending time with her best friends. It took some time getting used to not having the kids on weekends because she was so used to her those two days being occupied, time taken up by caring for her children.

"Yeah, I just left Michael's house. Why, what's up?" Carnation should've known that they were up to something. They always were.

"Me and Saaki are on our way to your house. How far are you from being home?"

Carnation's eyes narrowed in suspicion, but she still answered as if undoubtful. "About forty-five minutes. The roads are pretty clear right now."

"We'll be waiting when you get here," Siddiqah said.

"What's the occasion?"

"You'll see, girl. You're gonna have to change if you don't got nothing cute on though," she added. Her tone wasn't at all telling, so Carnation hadn't a clue of what to expect.

"What in the world are y'all plotting?" she questioned apprehensively. Siddiqah and Saaki would never put her in a situation where she was uncomfortable or disliked whatever was going on—intentionally—but Carnation still couldn't help but worry. Her friends were truly unpredictable.

"It's honestly not bad," Sid reassured her, "I think you're gonna enjoy it. Jus' hurry."

Exactly as promised, when Carnation pulled into her driveway, her friends were sitting in Saaki's car as they waited on their friend. As she got out of her car, the twins were jumping out of their own with Set It Off by Boosie Badazz playing loudly from their radio. Saaki, being the unapologetically spirited woman that she is, was throwing her ass in a circle as soon as she was out of the driver's seat, turning the music up just a bit more. Carnation deadpanned and cocked her head to the side in faux disappointment, but it was impossible to hold her straight face.

"Don't act like you weren't the same way in your twenties!" she exclaimed as the song ended.

"I wasn't! I had a baby on my hip by the time I even hit twenty. You're just ghetto," she joked with Saaki. They had the kind of relationship where they could insult each other and there were no ill feelings towards one another. "Are y'all gonna tell me why y'all are posted outside my house like you have a warrant for my arrest?"

"Just go get dressed," Siddiqah said once she came around the car as Saaki was reaching inside to turn the music down. "Wear something real sexy but not too revealing."

"Why? Where are y'all tryna take me?" She trusted her friends but knew they were up to something. She knew solely by the way they wouldn't answer any of her questions and went out of their way to dodge them with more questions.

"Can't tell you yet, it's a surprise. Unlock your door so we can get you out of these bummy ass clothes," Saaki said, closing her car door and locking it up with her key. The twins urged her to let them inside and forced her upstairs.

They foraged her closet as Carnation hopped in the shower, figuring she may as well since she had to get cute. As she was combing through her hair, prepared to flat iron it and save herself some precious time instead of engaging in a long battle with her grain, she saw Siddiqah and Saaki bickering over what they felt would be a cuter outfit, each one portraying their own vibes.

Siddiqah went for a more mellow, reserved look. She chose an umber pair of leather jeans that she knew would still hug nicely around Carnation's thighs and curves. Her shirt was a bronze sleeveless mesh shirt, and of course a white bra to put under it since the black one was too noticeable. To match, she had a pair of black open toe heels out and some jewelry she found on Carnation's dresser while she was still in the bathroom, handling her business.