forty three. breaking the code

chapter forty threebreaking the code⎯⎯⎯⎯

chapter forty three
breaking the code
⎯⎯⎯⎯

"We're giving him all of it?" Emily asked as the girls stood around Spencer's locker. "Two thousand dollars is a lot of money." she added. "Emily, if he can finally tell me who 'A' is, I would hand over a million." Spencer said. "Yeah, and not ask for change." Aria added. "How'd you get the money so fast anyway?" Josie asked, but Spencer seemed to avoid looking at her friends and looked into her locker. "What? Um... I have a relative." she said, finally looking at them.

"Which one?" Emily asked, making Spencer turn to her. "I promised that i wouldn't say." she said suspiciously, making Hanna and Josie share a look as Emily turned to Aria. "What time did Jonah say to meet him?" she asked. "Six, but, um, look, not all of us are gonna go, it's just me and Spencer so we'll meet up with you afterwards." she said, making Josie frown in confusion. "Why just you two?" Hanna asked.

"Because I'm the face that he knows and she's the bank." she said, tilting her head towards Spencer. "If we crowd him, he's gonna think something's up." Spencer said. "Something is up." Emily said. "Well, we're finally gonna find out who's been torturing us, since Ali's funeral, and hello, I kind of wanna be there for that." she continued. "Em, volume." Josie reminded her. "Hey, Ladies!" Mona said as she walked up to the girls.

"Hey!" They greeted her in sync, creeping her own a bit. "Okay." she said before shifting her focus to Hanna. "Umm, Hanna, can I borrow you for a sec?" she asked and Hanna nodded and then those two walked off. "So, Josie, where is Richie today?" Aria asked. She had noticed his absence. "He's visiting his father, it's his birthday today so.." Josie trailed off sadly and the girls nodded knowingly.

⎯⎯⎯⎯

Josie sitting in her kitchen, her mother was at work, when the backdoor to her house opened, making her jump, startled before she relaxed, seeing Richie coming in. "Hey." she greeted softly as he sat down next to her. "Hey," he replied. She could tell he'd been crying, afterall, it was a hard day for the Myers family. "How are you?" she asked, running a hand through his hair as he rested his head on the countertop of her kitchen island. "I'm... okay, it gets better over the years but... still hurts, doesn't feel the same without him." he admitted, moving his head up.

"I woke up this morning, and for a second I forget he was gone, thinking he'd be downstairs with mom, making a big breakfast but i remembered when I found her on the couch this morning, she had been watching old home movies from when I was younger." he said, his voice shaky, making her pull him into hug as he began to cry softly.

⎯⎯⎯⎯

Later that night, after Richie had gone home to be with his mom, Josie had headed over to Spencers after receiving a message. "So... that's why you were never charged with shoplifting?" Aria asked as they sat around Spencer's room as Hanna paced, apparently Mona had been getting messages from 'A'. "Okay, you know what? Please no jones, no judging." Hanna said, stopping in front of her friends. "All of this was over a pair of designer sunglasses." Spencer said in disbelief, making Hanna give her a look. "I'm sorry, I'm just still processing." she defended herself.