Chapter One: How It All Started

"Hey, Mina!" Shouted a voice from behind Mina. "Oh, hi Yuno. What's up?" "I was just wondering..." Yuno was panting from all his running. "...if...*huff* *huff* ...you can go to the dance with me?..." he exaggerated his huffs and coughs so he doesn't show his nervousness. "Hm.. I'll give it some thought," I replied.

"Really?" Shouted Yuno, jolting up from his crouching position, instantly stopping all his huffs.

"Yup. I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you so much, Mina! This means a lot to me!" Yuno seemed to me stoked at my response, despite not getting a solid one. We grinned at each other, before walking away.

***

My name's Mina. I go to Muji Hanigawa High, and as you've met earlier, Yuno, goes to the same school with me, and I suspect he has a crush on me. I read a lot of books about reincarnation and rebirth, all that fun "life after death" stuff. I have long, brown hair, stretching to my hips. I'm very proud of my hair since it looks all sparkly and shiny, as well as smooth to the touch. I also have blue ocean eyes, which make most of the boys fall head over heels for me. But Yuno is different. He pursues me, offers me for him to walk me home, brings me gifts, and loves to hang around me. He says I give him joy and I make him smile when I'm around.

Anyway, the reason Yuno is unique is that he's not like other boys. Despite his dreamy blonde hair and blazing golden eyes, he doesn't hide his affection for me and doesn't hold back. Other boys just like to have a crush on me but from a distance.

The dance is just how it sounds. Yuno asked me out to prom, and I didn't know how to answer, since no one has ever asked me out before, because all the boys just don't dare to. When I see Yuno, I think I plan on saying yes to his request.

***

It's the next morning. I took a peanut butter container and some bread, dancing dramatically to make it look like a peanut-butter-on-bread boss battle. I noticed I was late to meet up with Yuno, so I stuff the corner of the bread into my mouth, grabbed my bag, and ran to school. But that wasn't too necessary.

Yuno was already waiting for me around the corner, with his oh-so-fancy limo. He even had a fancy breakfast inside it.

"So, Mina. Have you decided yet?"

"Mayyyyyyybe."

"What's the answer then?!" Yuno had sparkles in his eyes as he can't wait to hear my answer.

"Nope."

Yuno was shattered. He fell on his knees, even got a spotlight on the roof of the car, and sobered.

"Just kidding, 'course I'm gonna say yes."

Yuno jerked up, hitting the light as a fountain of blood was spurting from the back of his head. I fell, laughing, with him laughing too through the pain.

The shattered spotlight was just there, dangling. "Wow, the way that's shattered, it could kill someone if it were dropped on them," worried Yuno. The car suddenly jolted back. The driver passed out, causing us to hit a light pole. Everything was crashing, and Yuno was right under the spotlight, the light falling and about to kill him. I suddenly sprinted from my seat, not thinking twice. I pushed Yuno out of the way when everything suddenly went black.

This is how it all started.

***

See you on May 17th, 2023!