05 - liar

"Y/n? Can I speak with you for a moment?"

You turned and saw Tokoyami standing with his hands clasped behind his back. 

"Uh," you said, voice nearly catching in your throat. "Sure." The bell sounded for lunch. 

"Somewhere quiet and dark, if that's all right. I'd like to make it so we can include Dark Shadow in the conversation." 

You swallow. "Yeah, of course. I'll be there to join you guys in a second, Ashido." You waved to the rest of the group. 

The halls were quiet as students filtered out of their classrooms, meeting up with their friends and enjoying the sun smiling down on them in the courtyard. 

But there was no sun in this dim hallway, here. There was only Tokoyami and the solemn look of Dark Shadow behind him. Both of their eyes were glued on your timid frame, one set glowing yellow. 

But those terrifying eyes seemed to bore into your soul. 

"Did you two need something?" You awkwardly rocked back and forth on your heels. 

"I wanted to ask you about something. Since our bout yesterday in capture the flag, Dark Shadow has been..." Tokoyami gave a thoughtful glance to the shy creature. "He's been awfully quiet. Has refused to talk since then. As you know, we're two entities with the same mind. If that makes any sense, then you should know I shared a dream with him last night. And that dream was you. I know that sounds odd, thank you for listening thus far, Y/n. But I wondered if Dark Shadow would react if we were to confront you." 

"What...was the dream?" 

"Experiments. In the few words he's said in the past twenty-four hours, Dark Shadow was in extreme pain and fear. And he's been exceptionally weak. The dream was you, and it was blurry to me, however Dark Shadow said he saw it all as if it were real." 

You gulped. "I'm...I'm sorry to hear that." 

"No need for apologies, Y/n. But he personally wanted to say some things." 

You breathed in a shaky breath. "Yes, Dark Shadow?" Your gaze clashed for what felt like the first time. 

"I'm sorry...to ask this of you. But what did you do to me?" Dark Shadow's voice was like gravel, and it had a strange echo to it, as if his voice was constantly stuck in an empty corridor. 

"What do you mean?" You rolled your shoulders back and stood straight. Stood proud. 

"What have you done to me?" The demon's voice was shaking. 

"I haven't done anything to you." 

"But you have, Y/n. You have stolen a part of me, and I feel sick. I have felt sick every second since you took it from me. I'm missing a little bit of...me." 

You clenched your fists, your nails leaving imprints of crescent moons on your palms. "I don't know what you're talking about." You turned your gaze to Tokoyami. "I'm sorry, Tokoyami. But I don't know how to help you or your friend." 

You dipped your hand into your bag, fiddling with the vial. How would he react to this? You unscrewed the tip. A sudden chill swept through the hallway, hovering over the three of you. 

"I'm sorry to have disturbed you, Y/n. I'll go see Recovery Lady soon. I'm sure she'll be able to help. I'm sorry to have taken your time." 

"Of course―" 

"She has it!" Dark Shadow lunged at you just as you screwed the lid back on the vial, keeping your hand secluded in your pocket. The demon, uncontrollable in the dim light, was pinning you down, sharp fingers on your wrists. "She has it!"