seven. the homecoming hangover

chapter seventhe homecoming hangover⎯⎯⎯⎯

chapter seven
the homecoming hangover
⎯⎯⎯⎯

The girls were still running around the school looking for Emily. "Emily!" Adalind called out, hoping she could hear. "Emily! Emily!" Hanna and Aria called out as they all rounded a corner into a different hallway. "Em, are you up here?" Spencer shouted. "Emily?" she shouted again before she spotted the lightswitch on the wall next to her, and she turned it on but it kept flickering so she turned it off. "Um, why don't we split up?" Spencer suggested. "Um, why don't we not?" Hanna countered, not wanting to split up, thinking it was safer together.

"Hanna, you can come with me, and Addie can go with Spencer." Aria said. "I don't wanna split up." Adalind said, looking at her cousin. "Fine! We'll split up together." Aria said, slightly frustrated. Aria dialled something on her phone, "Who are you calling?" Hanna asked her. "I'm trying her until she picks up." Aria said, obviously trying Emily again when suddenly they hear a phone ring from the end of the hallway, making the girls look towards the darker corridor wearily before they start walking towards the sound of the ringing phone.

They found her phone laying in the middle of the floor. Adalind bent down and picked it up, before they noticed the science classroom's door was opened. "Emily?" Spencer said as they walked closer to the classroom and when they opened the door more, they noticed it was almost destroyed, the shelves at the back had been pushed down and a chair was lying in the middle of the room. Hanna was the one that noticed the blood on the floor. "Is that blood?" she asked, grabbing onto Spencer who was on her right. "Don't go there." Adalind said to her. "There's a tube next to it, it's probably animal blood for science or something." she added, trying to be optimistic. "Why not? She was with Toby." Aria said, ignoring Adalind's last comment.

⎯⎯⎯⎯

Emily was fine, well as fine as she could be with a sprained wrist and a bumped head. Adalind, Aria and Spencer were already at Emily's when Hanna had gotten there. "It was all in his shrink's file." Aria said as she sat across from Emily while Adalind sat next to her and Spencer leaned against her dresser. "Toby and Jenna had a relationship," Adalind added onto Aria's comment. "Way beyond step-siblings." Spencer said. "Yeah, they were involved," Aria said. "Romantically?" Emily asked. "I doubt I'd call it romantic, I doubt she had much of a choice." Spencer said.

"And that's what Alison saw when she threw the stink bomb into the shed." Adalind said. "Yeah, and she threatened to expose Toby, which is probably why he wanted her dead." Spencer added. "And not just her, us, and you." Aria said but Emily seemed hesitant to believe them. "You don't believe us?" Spencer asked. "I do, I..." she trailed off, not knowing what to say. "I just don't get it," she finished. "If Toby killed Alison and wanted to do the same to me, then why am I sitting in my bed and not in a body bag?" she asked.

The truth was, the girls didn't have an answer to that question, because they didn't know. "I told the police that when I went out for air, I tripped." Emily admitted. "Well, why didn't you just tell them he attacked you?" Aria asked, confused. "I didn't want to say anything until I talked to you guys first." Emily said. "Well, the truth is in the file." Spencer said. "You can tell them everything now." she added. "She can't tell them everything." Aria said, looking over at Spencer. "You have to leave out the file." Adalind advised. "Fine. Leave out the file." Spencer said just as Hanna walked into Emily's bedroom, joining the rest of the girls.