Chapter 7 - Taylor

I'm not sure how much time passes, I just know it's long enough that the rising sun is bright enough to see the street

I'm not sure how much time passes, I just know it's long enough that the rising sun is bright enough to see the street. I half lean out of my window, bow in hand with Miss May next to me, ready with arrows if I need them. Looking around I don't notice anything, so I let out a long shrill whistle until I have no more air left in my lungs. Part of me is screaming this is a stupid idea, the other part of me is loving the adrenaline rush I'm getting from this. After waiting a minute uncomfortably in the window, I see a zombie come around the corner. I pull the arrow back, take a second to aim, and then let it fly. After another few minutes, I don't hear anything so I move back inside with Miss May.

"Okay, well go out now," I tell her, picking the last of my wooden arrows up. I shove what I can into my quiver, then stick the rest halfway down the side of my leggings. The tight form-fitting fabric should hold them in place. "Aim for the head," I said getting up, grabbing my favorite black beanie from my end table. I pull it to my head and tuck my pink hair behind my ears before pulling the beanie down farther. Hopefully, it keeps my hair out of my face. Turning to Miss May I say. "Try to let me kill things first, distance is best."

We both made it out of the house, arrow and bow at the ready for me, a tire iron held like a baseball bat for Miss May.

Moving down the same side of the street towards Miss May's house I stop about five feet or so from the zombie struggling to crawl on its arms. Miss May steps up before I can pull back my bowstring. "I can do this."

Her voice is wavering as she gets closer. Just before she's in reach of its grabbing hands she brings the tire iron up and slams down into the head of the zombie. She drops the tire iron with a clatter, jumping up and away from it and the zombie. I ask her. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." She says non-convincingly. I watch around us as she shakes her hands and then picks the tire iron back up, looking a little green as she does it.

"Which house was it?" Miss May asks and I look between the two we are standing between.

The one to the left isn't directly across the street from me, it's next to the house directly across the street from me. The one to the right of it is next to the one directly across the street from Miss May's house. They are both one-story houses, with big windows in the front. One has a considerable amount of shrubbery out front, the other is minimal. The one on the right I knew was the house to one of the kids I babysat a few times.

"We'll check left then right." Miss May settles and I don't argue.

We go up to the front door and I motion for her towards it. She moves to it, tests the door, and then looks back at me. When I give her a nod, pulling back the string of my bow I let out a deep breath to steady my hands that want to shake. When she opens and pushes open the door, nothing runs out to grab us. I take another steadying breath before taking a few steps until I'm just inside. Sweeping my bow around the open room I don't notice anything at first glance. Nothing moving anyway.

I do notice it's a mirror of the other house, one I've been in a handful of times while I babysat Kyle. The front door leads right into the living room, the kitchen right behind, only separated by a dining room table and the back of the couch. To the right, there's a hallway that leads to the bedrooms, I move my bow towards it. Miss May follows me into the house, close to my back. Moving down the hall I use my foot to push open the first door that's cracked open. This room, a bedroom is a complete mess, clothes are thrown around, a clear space on the bed. I think someone packed a bag in a rush and then left. I didn't notice a car in the driveway, but there was a garage on the side of the house.

I turn my back on the cleared-out room and face the next door. Miss May opens it this time, pushing in the door and I peek into it. This room, which would be the second bedroom, is empty of anything living or dead. It's just an office area, a small twin bed I'd assume would be the guest bed. I'm pretty sure the only person that lived here was an older divorced man. I didn't really know him, he was more of a shut in.

"Clear?" Miss May asks me.

"There's still a bathroom, but I think the guy who lived here left in a hurry." I let my bow down but keep the arrow ready in my hand.

Miss May checks the bathroom and I wander around the house, checking out the kitchen mostly then peek out into the garage. The car is gone, and there's only a few things in there. Maybe once we figure out what that light was, we can come back for the food and whatever else we deemed important.

"Ready?" Miss May comes out of the other rooms to the front door where I'm waiting now. I give her a nod and lead her around to the next house. I pull my bow up as she reaches for the door, but she doesn't have to open it.

I really think I am about to have a heart attack as the door opens and the thought of zombies being able to open doors makes me want to off myself. But when a new voice speaks I deflate, my shoulders falling from their tense position. "Taylor, don't shoot!"