Mallory

Eve had said she knew of some caves we could stay in for a bit before we have to climb over the mountains to reach the Capital.

I don't really trust her, considering she did try to kill me for absolutely no reason, but Cedric does. Symmarilian's cut responded well to the paste I made, and he's healed and able to trek through the forest with us. Kelpies are such convenient creatures considering they can also walk perfectly fine on land.

Ash sits above us in the trees, flying ahead from oak to willow, from sycamore to alder, whenever we catch up. I'm not comfortable around Eve's dragon. She may be beautiful, with shimmering amethyst scales and large, flawless wings, but she can kill just as easily as I, or even Ash can. Celene is a rather enormous creature to be accompanying such a short (and axe-wielding) girl. Eve's a nighean tuagh, whether or not she likes it. I was thinking of asking her to keep her dragon away, but I eventually decide not. She'll take that as a sign of weakness.

So we continue walking in silence.

The forest is my home, my place of comfort and familiarity. These mainland forests are similar to my Staelinhurstian ones, but they're different in a subtle, but not subtle enough way. I can navigate to where Eve suggests we go easily and quickly. I'm even able to gather berries, herbs and freshwater to quench our thirst and satisfy our hunger. When we get to the caves, I vow to hunt something large and delicious to share. The thought of food keeps me going. I expect we'll make it there by sunset.

Unless Cedric keeps tripping over tree roots.

'Gille iasg, it's not that hard,' I mutter, sighing at his poor attempts to walk quietly and smoothly. 'The roots are pretty clearly there, can you not, you know, step over them like a normal person?'

He shoots me a look that says he's trying his best. 'Anyone want a conversation?' he offers politely.

'A conversation where our nighean bhogha keeps complaining about your clumsiness ?' Eve asks, looking up or the first time. 'I'll pass.'

'I was thinking we could use this trek as a chance to know a bit more about each other,' Cedric says. 'All I know is that you two aren't Nauticalian, hate each other and have animals of legends companions like me.'

'I think that's all you need to know, gille iasg,' is Eve's answer. A pained grimace surfaces behind Eve's calm mask, but she pushes it away, flicking a strand of brown hair out of her face.

'I'm from Staelinhurst.'

'Is that why your arrow points are made of cavernite bronze?' Eve says sharply.

'I knew someone who worked in the mines and would occasionally give me some metal if I traded some game or stole stuff from ambassadors for their family. Other than those occasional words, I've never had a conversation with humans for years,' I add.

Cedric and Eve whip their heads around to look at me.

'Stop looking so judgemental!' I hiss. 'I'd bet you my bow you don't live in some grand mansion happily with your parents.'

'I got kind of got banished from my tribe by my father because I'm not the perfect son he wanted...' trails off Cedric, he had an uncharacteristic look of contempt on his face. Despite having his eyes focused on the forest floor, he trips up again, almost flying face-first into mud. His sandals are definitely more suited to beach walks instead of hikes through woody terrain.

'Someone's got daddy issues,' Eve mutters, earning a scowl from Cedric. What was up with him and his dad? I would love to even have a parent.

'Don't be so harsh, leanabh tuagh.' My tone is on edge. 'What happened to you, left on the side of a cliff when you were born because your tone and attitude were too offensive? Let me guess, raised a wild child by dragons?' I scoff. 'That would explain your manners.'

'Shut up,' Eve growls, her dragon copying her defensive body language. 'I didn't get thrown of a ship for being too seasick.'

'CAN YOU PLEASE STOP ARGUING?' yells Cedric suddenly, raising his trident. 'You will be the death of me. And don't.'

'Don't what?' Eve asks.

'Don't ever talk about my father like that, Eve,' Cedric replies, as he storms off I thought I saw a tear fall down his face but when I looked back it was gone.

'stad air coiseachd, gille iasg,' I say as a shadow towers over Cedric. He turns around in confusion and I nod toward the monster standing discreetly behind him.

'Get out your trident,' I command through gritted teeth as I ready my bow, 'if this goes wrong.'

Cedric obeys, turning around once again to stare into the nightmarish eyes of a forest elemental.