Chapter 1 - Purpose

The sun had set an hour ago, the sky now a dark murky color as the clouds hid the moon from exposure. In an abandoned gas station located just a bit away from racoon city Y/N rummaged through the already scavenged store, hoping to find any useful supplies.

"Shit, nothing good at all.." Y/N sighed.

It had been 2 months since the T-Virus spread to the city. The population was either infected, killed, or managed to escape. Most were infected, and Y/N had been one of the lucky ones to make it out alive. During the start of the apocalypse she had been out with her best friend Lia, a girl who had been there with her since a child she had just finished up the semester for her first year in college and was celebrating before the crude and quiet attack caused by the T-Virus.

Y/N kicked the moldy cans in frustration. She had been separated from her best friend Lia during the middle of all the chaos and after waiting for her outside of the city for a week with no response, she took it upon herself to go back in and find her.

"The police are utterly useless" She muttered to herself. She had a feeling the reason there wasn't much being done about the city was because the police were being told from some source to standby, but of course nothing could be confirmed. She kicked another pile of empty cans, and her leg hit something hard.

"Aha." She picked up the red can and wiped the dust off the label

"Great, I guess I'll be having cold tomato soup for dinner" She groaned, I really need to find Lia and go eat some real food soon.

She packed the can into her bag, a small flimsy bag she took from a looted house. There wasn't a lot of space, so she had to pack sparingly with just a sweater and a couple granola bars. Her only weapon had been a knife that she used to sneak behind zeroes to kill but was definitely more dull than it was a couple weeks ago. Since she had to resort to melee during combat the best plan was to stealth around the zeros so as to not cause attention and so far it had been working well enough for her to survive as a college girl with zero survival experience, or killing for that matter.

The Raccoon City Police Station was her next destination, as Y/N suspected if there were any survivors left, they would probably be trapped inside together with the infected lurking out and about. It was also her last hope, but she wouldn't dare say those thoughts out loud. She zipped her bag up and left the desolate place.

✦✦✦

"Here we are." Y/N announced to herself, exhausted from her endeavor. "Raccoon City Police Station." She pushed the gate open which was unattended, something she was not thrilled about.

"Come on Lia, there's no way you actually died, we still have so much to do together".

The hinges of the door were already broken, meaning someone forcefully broke in to access the building. She hoped it was a survivor, she was not in the mood to be killed by some weird monster again. after all the effort of staying in an abandoned city she was not about to go down so easily. A shower and a nice hearty meal was all she hoped for when she got out of here.

She pushed open another door past the first door and revealed a long and tall main hall, with stairs leading to the second floor. On a couch laid a bloody man who wore the RPD Police Officer uniform his skin looked sickly and he seemed to be breathing in and out of consciousness.

"Sir.. are you okay?" Y/N asked, walking slowly towards the man. She was unsure if he had already turned as his movements were slow and janky.

"I'm okay." The wounded man heaved with effort, though it was clear that he was lying with through the skin of his teeth. "What are you doing here? I thought all the civilizations evacuated months ago."

"I'm here to find my friend. We got separated during the initial attack."

"Well kid, there's not a high chance she'd be here. She's either dead or out of racoon city."

"I know the odds. I'm here anyway."

"...How old are you kid?" The man asked as the door on the left suddenly flew open.

Another RPD officer appeared.