➸ CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

NOW PLAYING ...
Leaving Tonight • The Neighbourhood

! AUTHORS NOTE !
70K reads?! that's awesome! i appreciate you all a lot, i apologize for taking an extra long amount of time on this chapter, i was in the middle of taking exams. i had expected to finish this way earlier than now, but just hold on a little longer, we're almost there. :' ) literally at vacation finishing this up

! AUTHORS WARNING !
description of injuries, blood, gun violence, and death.

꧁♚————————{♛}————————♚꧂

"He's still alive?" You groaned in annoyance, referring to the maniac dressed in black shooting people in the street. You, Arisu, and Usagi had sprinted towards a white van and ducked behind it for cover, leaving Niragi and Chishiya hidden underneath astray cars.

"Yeah," Arisu huffed, "The only blimps left are the King of Spades and the Queen of Hearts. Anybody who's left is gathering in Shibuya now that they've seen the blimps."

Usagi nodded in agreement, her face disturbed at the mass violence just a few feet away. "We can't go further unless we take him down."

An explosion went off, making you flinch at your hearing sensitivity. Though, you forced yourself to peek your head out and check where the source was. You immediately checked Chishiya's car, which was still the same as you left it, but other people hid behind it. The King was shooting at the car doors and windows, making you nervous on whether he'll catch the man underneath or not.

You ducked back down, wincing at your leg injury as you did so. Usagi had covered your blind spots when you were observing your surroundings, dissecting every person in a huge swarm of people flooding into the city. "Wait, Look!" She pointed out something to Arisu, though you weren't aware of what you were supposed to be looking at.

On that note, Arisu waved his large gun in the air to flag down people. "Kuina! Ann!" You finally were able to catch two women changing their line of direction over to your group, one being familiar to you.

"Arisu!" The unfamiliar girl called out as they both dived behind the car, dodging the flying bullets right at their feet.

Ann kneeled down next to Kuina and kept her head low from the top of the vehicle. "It's been a while." She said, then gave you a small nod in acknowledgement from your previous meeting.

"It's good to see you again," Kuina beamed, then focused on you. "Who's this?"

Arisu and Usagi both looked at you, and you just sat there awkwardly. Thankfully, Arisu volunteered to introduced you in the not-so-perfect environment you all were in, avoiding any awkward silence. "Oh, this is Y/N. Chishiya's girlfriend, I guess."

In sync, Ann and Kuina whipped their heads towards Arisu in shock. "Girlfriend?"

You smiled nervously, staring at the ground silently at the sudden attention put on you. "Long story," Usagi chimed into the reunion, "But we have bigger problems on our hands!"

Everyone quickly became serious again, which allowed you to release the breath you had been holding. "Right," Ann stood up slightly to take a glance at the King's whereabouts. "Looks like the King of Spades wants to settle things here."

On cue, the King in question aimed his gun towards Ann and began spraying bullets. Ann wasn't hit, but the car was denting in towards them, making everyone keep their heads low and completely covered. Various people ran around the car to hide from the lunatic, but none were left unharmed. That's when you all took your chances and split up, running in different directions to different new barriers.

You and Ann headed roughly in the same direction, though you were struggling to keep up with her speed due to your leg injury. The King was quick to notice how easy you were compared to the rest, so he fired at the moving target. You felt a sharp pain in the center of your spine, making you fall forwards onto the cement. You quickly rolled over on your back to face the King walking towards you, holding his machine gun only in his right hand. Before he could shoot, Ann pointed her own gun at him and pulled the trigger, it only skimming his shoulder. His attention directed to the other woman, trying to shoot back at her from behind a flipped car.

You used the distraction to yours and Ann's benefit, jabbing your foot at his ankles to make his body fold to the ground. As he crumbled at the impact, his gun fell out of your hands, and then you moved on instinct. He was quick to recover and look up at you, who had a hand on his gun. Instead of fighting you for it, he stayed low as he darted down an alleyway, most likely to receive another gun delivery from the blimp above. Although he fled the scene, Ann didn't hesitate to follow behind him, signaling the rest of the group to follow her.

Not you though, you couldn't force yourself to get up off the ground. Your limbs twitched at every wave of pain that washed over you, feeling like a pulsating heart of agony in the center of your spine. You could feel everything in your body, including how your bones rattled beneath your skin and the blood flowing through your veins. You couldn't tense up your muscles, not able to make a tight fist with your palm or flex your calves. You planted your hands on the ground to push your limp body up, back muscles aching as the bones poked out from the right skin layer. And still, the intense effort left you helpless, plopping back on the ground out of breath.

You laid in a pool of your own blood, the waterfall sourcing from your torso and your re-opened wound in your leg. The King had landed a bullet through your spine and out your stomach. Your nerves system was all sorts of messed up, only left with tingles in your upper body while the lower was numb.

You were losing breath, hopelessly gasping for more, but it was like the world had kept it from you. The streets were finally quiet, the ringing in your severed ear was only faint in the back of your head. Your head pounded with the beat of your bleeding heart, but that wasn't your main concern. No, you needed to go to your other bleeding heart, the one who you left underneath a car. You don't even know if he's still there, waiting for either you or the King of Spades to show up. You need to make sure he sees you, that you see him, even if the King turns back around.

But, you're tired. You're so tired, you're using up all of your energy to keep your eyes open. You desperately searched for the car you hid Chishiya under from your corrupted view, only really seeing unrecognizable dead corpses around you. You strained to lift your head up ever so slightly, but just enough to look over people's shoulders and examine the cars in the background. That's when your eye caught with the car, the only car that was familiar to you. He had to be under that one, but the question still stands if he's breathing under there? Is his heart beating as slow as yours is right now? Do his muscles tingle and twitch as he lies on the cement? Does he struggle to keep his eyes open while he searches for you? Does he still...

Your head drops.

꧁♚————————{♛}————————♚꧂

THANK YOU FOR READING!