three | homesick

three | homesick

Dr. Spencer Reid was nervous. Derek had been watching his eyes continue to dart between the clock and the top drawer of his desk for the past four hours. "Hey, kid, you alright?" he finally asked on his way back from the coffee pot.

"What? Yeah, fine. Why wouldn't I be?" he said quickly, eyes continually darting towards the drawer of his desk.

Derek slowly set his mug down on his desk before coming to stand beside the younger agent. He held eye contact for a moment before darting his hand out towards the drawer. Spencer moved to stop him, but wasn't fast enough; Derek had already snatched a small bag which held a present he was saving for someone special.

"A New York candle? Who are you buying a candle for?" Morgan said just as Spencer grabbed the gift bag back out of his friend's hands.

"None of your business. I have to go," Spencer said, moving towards the door as he threw his shoulder bag over his chest.

"What, you got a hot date or something?"

The pair passed JJ on their way out of the bullpen. "Morgan, leave Spence alone. He's just going to his therapy appointment," she said easily, offering Spencer a small smile before continuing towards Hotch's office.

Derek's expression turned knowing and Spencer immediately held up a hand to stop him. "Save it."

"Your therapy appointment... with little Brooks?" Derek said suggestively.

"I'm leaving now," Spencer said as he stepped into the elevator.

"Hey, tell Goldilocks I say hello! Or, no, you're probably gonna keep her all to yourself!" Derek teased. "Have fun, Pretty Boy!"

Spencer said a silent thank you when the doors of the elevator finally slid closed.

<3

"Five minutes early as always," the kind receptionist said to Spencer when he came to check in. "You know the drill. Dr. Brooks will be with you in a moment."

"Thanks," Spencer replied, pressing his lips together awkwardly before moving towards the velvet, orange couch.

Megan's office door opened a minute later and Spencer immediately clocked that something was wrong. "Hello, Spencer. Welcome back," she said extra-brightly. Conversely, Spencer's eyes narrowed slightly as he took her in. Her hair was tied back in a messy low-ponytail and there was extra concealer under her eyes as if covering deep bags. Her outfit--comfy, checkered pants and a chunky crew neck sweatshirt with a collared shirt underneath--was clearly chosen for comfort more than style and she'd forgotten the statement earrings that usually accompanied her looks.

"You look like you got hit by a bus," Spencer said.

Meg sighed. "And you really know how to charm a girl." As soon as he was in the office and the door was closed behind them, she groaned. "I really thought I was holding it together! No one's noticed all day-" Meg accepted the gift bag Spencer thrust into her hands. "What's this?"