Chapter 18

(Chapter song ‘My Way’ by Limp Bizkit)
ADAM

I drive into the hot desert to answer a call from Oliver that had me trying to figure out how what he has is even possible. 
My engine rumbles as the desert sun beams down on me. 
On the heat waving horizon, I see a dark figure standing at the side of the road. 
As I get closer, I watch him adjust his sunglasses and open his pack. 
He steps closer to me and I dismount.  I glance at the mountains off in the distance across the lake of sand. 
As I try to read him, I stop and hook my thumbs in my black jeans.  “I’m surprised you called.” 
He steps closer and lifts his chin.  “I am too.”  He glances at the sun.  “It’s a hot one.  I didn’t think you’d show.” 
“I only come out in it for friends.”  I mutter. 
He raises a brow.  “Oh.  We're friends?” 
“Depends if you have what I need and are willing to hand it over.  It also depends on if you are willing to join me.”  I say. 
“Join you?”  He smirks.  “You mean like fighting that lycan asshole?” 
I look him over.  “You’re…skills are what I need…along with that.”  I motion to the pack. 
He reaches into his bag and pulls out what I’ve been craving to hold for so long.  
“Where did you find it?”  I ask.
He puffs his cigar.  “Not important, but something told me you should have it.  I don’t think the rogues should so…”
He looks at it then tosses it to me.  I catch it and spin it around in my hand.  It’s black eye sockets connect with mine and I feel the connection form. 
I gently run my hand over the smooth cap of the black skull.  Memories of it flood my brain and the reason it exists fills me with regret.  I wish I never said yes.
The black skull haunts my thoughts so much, I almost didn’t hear Oliver speak.
“Why do you want that thing anyway?  What’s it to you?” 
I walk to my bike, stuff it in my saddle bag and throw a leg over the seat.
He walks to me.  “You gonna tell me?”
I glance at him.  “It’s mine.”  I say low.  I look at him over my shoulder.  “Meet me in Phoenix.  Two days at sundown.  That’s when we'll begin.” 
“Begin?  Begin what?”  He smirks.
“Two days.”  I grumble and hit the throttle on my bike.  I leave him in a dust cloud and think about the sense of relief I feel having the skull in my possession. 
Now, for the others. 
I searched out the names of my friends and they all made sense now. 
Quinn.  Had I had my memories earlier, I would have approached him sooner, but now is just as good. 
“You want me to what?”  He leans on his desk with his arms crossed.
“I need you to join me in the fight against Lefu.”  I say.
He scratches his nose.  “Ok.  Why me?  Why not the unit?”
I lift my eye to him.  “You are significant.”
“How do you mean?”  He raises a brow as he questions. 
I shake my head.  “I promise I’ll reveal everything.  Meet me at the unit the night after tomorrow.  Sundown.  All your questions will be answered.” 
“Uh…OK…” 
I blurred out of the group home and ran.  My travel time is limited.  I need my speed.  After catching a few meals along the way, I arrived in Falcon Ridge a day later. 
I walk up to the pack house and knock on the door.  Wes Andrews.  Shifter with nymph powers.  A very talented friend.  Heroic and saved my life more times than I can count. 
The door opens and Wes crosses his arms. 
“Wes.  I’m sorry to just show up, but it’s important I speak to you.”  I push past him into the house. 
“Hold up.  First of all, I’m Grey.  Can none of you people smell the Alpha?”  He scowls.
I turn and eye him.  “No.  I can’t.  Where’s Wes?” 
He groans and walks to the stairs.  “WESLEY!”  He yells. 
I stand and study the clean white contemporary room and think about how it doesn’t seem to suit the Alpha standing with me.
“Grey, I swear to God…”  He comes down and slows his descent.  His sneaker hits the first floor and a puzzled look crosses his face.  “Adam?  What are you doing here?” 
“I need to speak to you in private.”  I flick my eyes to his brother.  “Please.”  I meet his eyes again.
“Dude.  If this is about the knife…”  Grey crosses his arms and tries to act important.
“No.  It’s not.  Wes?”  I arch a brow. 
He floats his eyes between his brother and me.  “My office is this way.” 
He leads me into a hall and stops at a door that had ‘Beta Wesley Andrews’  on it. 
I walk in first and inspect the conservatively decorated room.  This seems more like Wes. 
“How can I help you, Adam?”  He walks around his desk and sits.  He laces his fingers on his desk and looks up at me. 
I approach and place my hands behind my back.  “As you are aware, Lefu is gathering large numbers.  In order to beat him, I need people with a certain skill set.”
“What skills?”  He questions.
“Yours, in particular.  I have others, but I need you to join me in this fight.”  I say as I stare at him.
He blinks a few times and then starts to chuckle.  “What?  No!”  He shakes his head and leans back in his chair.  “No.  I’m not fighting Lefu.  Are you nuts?” 
I lean my hands on his desk.  “Tell me.  Do you love your mate?” 
He eyes me suspiciously.  “Yes.  Of course, I do.” 
“What if I told you, by refusing, Lefu peels her skin from her body inch by torturous inch with the help of his allies?”  I narrow my eyes and I see his change.
“Artemis.”  He breathes. 
I nod.  “Is that what you want?”
“No.”  He mumbles.
“Then fight.”  I grit.  “Don’t fight for me.  Fight for your family, but I need you, Wes.” 
I can tell he was weighing his options.  He looks up at me.  “I’m gonna get shot, aren’t I?” 
I shrug.  “Maybe.” 
He scrubs a hand down his face.  “Ok.  I’m in.  When?” 
I stand straight and stuff my hands I’m my pockets.  “Tomorrow at sundown.  Meet me at the Phoenix Unit.  I’ll explain everything.”
“Alright.”  He breathes and I blur out. 
My travels don’t end there. 
I stopped at a small town outside of Falcon Ridge. 
Cass Raven.  Newly formed cosmic being.  His archery skills are unmatched.  I chose him specifically for his heart.  It knows no bounds and reaches far.  He was a good advisor when my vampire side couldn’t see past logic. 
After explaining to him how needed he was, I was surprised it wasn’t him that answered.
“We'll do it!” 
“Em.  Shouldn’t we discuss this.  Our job’s a little backed up.”  He smiles at me then turns to his mate.
“Cass.  This is an opportunity to save the world.”  She flips her red hair over her shoulder.  “Think of how world saver would look on the resume.”  She smirks and back hands his chest. 
I arch a brow as I flick my eyes between them.
He rubs his nape.  “What happened to lovers not fighters?” 
She crosses her arms.  “Do you not know me at all?”  She says sternly. 
He ticks his head.  “Ok.  You gotta point.”  He turns to me and nods.  “If you need our arrows, you got ‘em.” 
I nod.  “Thank you.” 
I gave them the same message and left. 
After running for an hour, I stopped at a clearing.  I stepped into the sun and eyed the village on a hill on the other side.
As I approach, people run.  Women grab pups off the hills and pull them under the cover of trees. 
I get to half way up the hill, when Lucius comes out of the darkened entrance with Wren. 
I stop and stand with my thumbs in my pockets and a leg kicked out. 
“Adam?  What are you doing here?”  He scowls as he approaches. 
“Nala.  Where is she?”  I respond. 
A roar of a big cat comes from the trees.  Her large tiger runs out of the village entrance, around Wren and toward me. 
Her lips snarl as her ears fold back.  She hisses and takes a swipe at me.  I don’t move. 
“Nala!”  Lucius growls. 
I hold a hand up to her.  “Nala.  I only want to ask a question.  Your instincts are getting in the way.  Please shift.”  I eye the tiger as she growls at me.
“Baby, shift.” 
I glance to Curtis who’s joined Wrens side. 
She shifts and fixes her curly brown hair.  Her Brazilian beauty really is stunning. “I apologize Adam.  With the way you've been acting lately…” 
“I know.  I realize I present myself as a threat, but I assure you, I only need you to tell me how to locate someone.”  I say. 
“Who?” 
I pause because this may hurt.  I’m not sure if she has contact with him or not.  “Nathaniel.” 
She cinches her brows and steps to me, folding her arms.  “How do you know that name?” 
“Nala?  Who’s Nathaniel?”  Curtis asks. 
“No one I wish to speak of, my love.”  She doesn’t turn from my eyes. 
“Where is he?”  I whisper. 
“Why?”  She asks. 
“I need him.  He’s important to me and I must have him by my side…for guidance.”  My tone may hold no life, but my plea is felt. 
“I will have to contact him myself.”  She says.
“If you wish.  Please hurry.  Tell him it involves the demon, Lefu.  He will understand.  Tell him to meet me tomorrow night.”  I instruct. 
“I will.  He will be exposed.  Will you protect him with your life?”  She gives me a look that only a worried mother could have.
“Always.”  I bow to her. 
She nods back and I leave. 
With six of the seven collected, I needed one more. 
Graham Mitchell.  He’s only half of what I needed, but I believe that he will be what’s needed with the Kitsune.  I’ll have to recruit them both if this is to work. 
By the time I got back to Falcon Ridge, I had to stop in my tracks. 
My eyes couldn’t register what I was seeing. 
The gigantic monster moved on Security Unit as wolves attacked its large, thick legs. 
I watch as it lets out its loud, prehistoric roar. 
“BRING IT DOWN!!” 
Shots are fired, but it was useless.  The dinosaur moved onto the chained gate.  My vision honed in at its head and something gleamed in its teeth. 
I sensed it. 
The Reaper.
I rush through the fight and leap into the air.  My claws extend and slam into his side.  He roars and I look up.
Something flew through the air and was like a bug around its head.  The dinosaur swiped its long neck at it and I held on to its rocking body. 
I climb onto its back and I watch the white furry fox land on the back of its head.  I see the nine tails flick around. 
The Kitsune. 
She bites the back of his head and the animal cries out.  She flies around his head as it starts to turn ice blue. 
I follow her path, watch her fly through his mouth and grab the Reaper. 
“Shit!”  I let go and fall to the ground.  I try to follow her and stop when the ground begins to shake. 
I look behind me and see the beast frozen solid.  His body begins to crack and bright colored lights explode from the them. 
I have to shield myself as my skin starts to burn.  The intense rays almost blind us all. 
The creature almost whines.  A high pitched wail fills the air and then his body rips apart in a great explosion.  We all hit the ground and my skin feels like it’s on fire.  I grind out a cry of pain and cover my head with my jacket. 
The heat dies down and I uncover my head.  My brows stitch up in confusion as I stand and watch six colored balls of light rise into the air where the dinosaur once was.  They spin in a circle for what felt like a minute then shot off in different directions. 
I have no idea what just happened, but judging from the cheers that rose from the soldiers, that shape shifter is not coming back. 
My amazement is broken by my mind recalling the Kitsune.  I run through the celebration and stop on the edge of the people.  I was there just long enough to see Graham disappear with a woman in his arms. 
“Damn it!”  I growl loud and slam my hand into my hair.  I look around and blur out. 
The next day, Phoenix City was bustling with people as I entered it.  I ran to the Unit to find Graham.  He must be here. 
As I approach the council room, he came out.  His light is solid, bright and cosmic. 
Him and the Kitsune stop in front of me as I act like a wall in front of them. My scowling face has them concerned as they should be.
“Adam?” 
I side eye him.  “We need to talk.”
“Ok.”  He arches a brow at me and talks with caution.  He pulls the Kitsune behind him. 
I look him over.  “You are complete.” 
I had suspected that he wasn’t as in tune with his power before, but now he is. 
The bridge keeper is pinnacle to the team I’m building.  His skills helped many get to safety and saved us from impending doom. 
“I guess you could say that.”  He answers as he looks to the woman. 
“Good.  You’re skills will be useful.”  I look him over. 
“Useful how?”  He furrows his brow. 
He steps closer.  “I was born to bring Lefu down.  You will help me.” 
He starts to nervously chuckle.  “I can’t fight Lefu.”
“You can and you will.”  My unmoving expression clearly makes him uncomfortable. 
“I’m not ready.”  He grumbles. 
“Get ready.  You don’t have much time.  You will be ready to fight with me or I will kill you myself.”  I raise my chin and look down on him.
“Who the fuck are you to threaten me?”  He growls.
I get close to his face.  “I’m the mother fucker who’s saving the world…again.”  I snarl.  My eyes flick to the Kitsune.  I throw my hand to her.  “My blade!  Now!”  I demand loudly as my eyes glow.
“I…uh…”  She stutters.
I glare at her.  “Don’t lie to me, Kitsune.  I saw you take it from the shape shifter.  My Blade!!”  People in the hall stop and look our way.   
Graham looks to her and nods.  “If you have it, hand it over.” 
She holds out her palm and the blade appears in it out of thin air.  “Please, forgive me.  I just wanted to keep it safe.”
I reach out and wrap my fingers around the hilt.  I raise it in front of my face and look it over like a new birth.  The weight of it played on my emotions.  “It’s alright.  You’re young.  You didn’t understand.”  I say quietly. 
I take the blade and stick it inside my leather jacket.  “I have to see the others.  Be ready for my order.” 
I turn and walk out the council hall.  My hand holds the blade through my jacket.  Everything is coming together. 
My prophecy will be fulfilled and I will end this. 
End it for good.  No more.  This is the last trip.  I’m not doing this again.  I’m joining my friends in death and it will be over.  The rest of them can rot in hell. 
I throw open the door and run down the steps to the unit. 
I look up and see the group of people who will fight with me waiting in the lot. 
I slow my pace and join them. 
Oliver, Ezra, Nathaniel, Cass, Ember, Deacon, Jenny, Quinn, Wes and eventually Graham.
All skills matched all that I had when I started this nightmare.
“Okay.  We're here.”  Oliver grumbles.  “You gonna tells us why you picked us?”
I nod and take a deep breath. 
I raise my head and stare at the nine pairs of eyes staring back.
“My name…is Adam Spencer.”  I start.  “I’m part of an elite squadron of soldiers from the year 2630.  We're known as ‘The Regenerators’.”  I stare at their blank faces.
I lower my head.  “My squadron consisted of specially genetically designed people.  12 of us signed up and of the 12, I’m the only one left alive…”
I slowly raise my head and try to contain my emotions.
“And I need your help.”