XII - Blurry

Things were starting to get confusing. We had been attacked by unreasonably sizable force out of nowhere and now this? Ian should have been safe behind the lines, and his death adds more to the peculiarity of the situation.

"You figure someone did this on purpose?" Red asked me after we walked out of Grace's room.

"Yea. Like we had waves of tangos as if they know exactly where we were and what we had. We had them rolling in with technicals and stuff. Someone must've tipped them off,"

"Tom?" she asked again.

"I think there is someone else, and I won't like it if it's who I've been suspecting,"

"Who is it, then?"

Sergeant Major came out of nowhere all of a sudden, with a very disappointing look on his face. He seemed to have disagreed with someone and argued.

"Ah, there you are. The Colonel is looking for you guys. He's just outside the door,"

"Yes, Sergeant Major," we said almost simultaneously.

We went outside and saw the Colonel looking uneasy. I guess he was the one Sergeant Major argued with. He took out a cigarette and lighted it up before he turned towards the door and saw us.

"There you are. Gather your team and get over here. I have a situation," he said, taking a drag of his cigarette after.

Red went on towards the guys while I stayed with the Colonel. They joked around and laughed while resupplying themselves with ammunition. Red decided to resupply too while she's at it. As they walked towards us, I tried to talk to the Colonel.

"What is it, sir? Are we moving out again?"

"No. Not us. Just you. You'll be assisting a platoon I'm sending out,"

"Were you arguing with Harris just a moment ago?"

"Yeah. He forced me into that,"

"Well, that would drive us away from our objective, sir,"

"About that," he paused, taking another drag, "He thinks the Marines are more valuable resource for the defense," he said as he exhaled the smoke. That reason is very questionable.

"But sir,"

"It's okay, son. Just this once,"

"Here we are, sir," Red said as she came up to us.

"Okay, so here it is. I'm relieving the base's command from the Major. I sent a squad to check on those tree lines, see if they can find anything. We're sending you guys to assist them,"

"Assist, sir?" Ryan frowned.

"Yes. You'll be on their left flank,"

He proceeded to tell us how he personally didn't want to send us out, but he decided to yield. Sergeant Major already briefed the squad they were about to send out.

"You'll be alright, it's just a lookout,"

"Yes, sir," we said, reluctantly. I don't want to fail another objective as Ian was already killed. The thought of losing the other three bugs me real hard, especially without me being around. We had orders, however, and we had to do it.

"Ryan, switch up with Kris. You take his SAW, give him the GPMG. Split from Mark, too," Red commanded. They traded weapons as instructed, before resupplying ammunition in the nearest supply depot. For this mission, for the first time, I figured we need hand grenades.

As we prepared to move out, the squad was already waiting on us. The sergeant, Staff Sergeant Harrison, briefed Red and I about what we should do.

"You see that vehicle on the left? Go past that and face the tree lines. Stay there until we go back," he said as he checked his rifle again, "Spread up behind the car. Take its machine gun if needed,"