Chapter 10: Rescue Mission

Cold.

In more ways than one, I was cold.

Sitting outside at night when the seasons were gradually changing towards winter definitely wasn't the best, but it was one reason why.

The night air kept me rooted beneath the tree I had picked despite the cloak around my shoulders.

I had plenty of time to think things over by myself without interruption.

Torture wasn't a line I condoned crossing, for myself or others. However, this was extreme. This situation, couldn't be remedied by reasoning alone.

Didn't mean I liked it at all.

My heart felt cold with this newly discovered information.

That was the next reason.

"Olivia." Hanji's voice met my ears like a sharp wind breaking my peace. "He won't talk, we need your plan. Eren's life depends on us right now."

I scoffed quietly and brought my knees closer to my chest.

"Get his buddy, and set up a fake story. You've worn Sannes down significantly as is. You've gone this far, might as well break him." I hissed bitterly, digging a hand into my shortened brown hair.

"Look, I'm sorry. This situation probably reminds you of what happened with your father, but-"

"It's bigger than us. This isn't the same. It's not about me. I've heard it all. I don't know what's worse Hanji, the fact that I'm not helping, or that I'm letting it all happen. Either way, it's bad. Eren has my support, but this situation... It can burn. You have my idea, so take it. I need time to cool off." I spat sarcastically, looking at my dumbfounded friend.

They were silent in shock for what seemed like forever. "Thank you. Your idea will help us."

"Don't.... Don't thank me for this. I'd rather kill someone than subject them to this." I bit back coldly.

It's true.

I'd rather show someone mercy by killing them, than letting them suffer. It just... Wasn't right.

"Okay. I'll come check on you later. Don't let yourself freeze for too long." Hanji murmured softly, taking their leave from my side.

Doubt it. Too much is going on. And if we get answers... Well. You won't be checking on me.

I glared at the ground as if it had some sort of fight to pick with me.

This was all because of some stupid political struggle, and of course, no one could handle the situation like a grown adult.

They had to pull children into the mix. How vile.

On top of it all, they had the belief that ignorant bliss was better than the truth. Blind, the whole lot of them.

If I were even a little bit religious, I'd say they all deserved to be purged, but that was a toxic way to look at it all.

Very toxic.

There was a fine border between the lines I was walking. I had to be careful, or else I'd be no better than those corrupt politicians.

I couldn't let myself drop to such darkness.

Why does our political system have such large flaws?

A particularly loud scream from the basement launched my mind into a panic, sending loud and explosive memories through my head.

My father stood above me, bloody chains in hand and a menacing smile stretched across his lips.

Cold blue eyes stared me down with such malice that it sent my heart racing like it used to way back when.