Chapter 10: The Generals

Celeste made her way to Brim's office, observing from the shadow for a few moments before jumping out and startling him.

"What are you doing, woman!?" he caught the ink bottle just before it spilled all over the papers. "You still have your free time."

"I know, I had to tell you something."

"Now? Can't it wait?" he didn't even look, just picked up the papers and continued to read.

"Maybe, but I might forget." She moved to the front of the office so she could see him. "Your lover keeps telling people that she has you dancing around her little finger."

"What?" he laughed. "I told you it was none of your business."

"To prove it she will get you to buy her a dress."

"You can't be serious. Are you inventing all of this on the spot?"

"She is a tall brunette with locks for days, eyes like a fawn, and has two gossipy best friends that like to giggle behind pillars in the arena?"

He shifted in his seat. "Right." no longer was there a smirk on his face.

"Also she is engaged, but hopes to become your Queen, thinking you will be a better catch and her fiancé won't be able to confront you because you are the King."

Brim stared blankly at her for a while, his fingers kept playing with the padding on the armrests of the chair in which he was sitting. "She said all that?" his voice was unusually calm.

"Yes, but you don't have to believe me, wait until she asks for the dress."

"She already asked, two days ago."

Celeste grinned. "Oh."

"Don't be so happy about it!" he jumped to the window and flung it open leaning over the sill. "That pillar over there?"

Celeste joined him. From there he had a clear view of the entire arena, and three women really were still in the same spot. "Yes. Did you watch the brief fight?"

Brim nodded, still murdering people with his glare. "It was brief. I must admit I was unsure whether you'd win."

"I'm fast." she shrugged. "Your mistress is the one in the middle. Their collective giggle is pretty irritating. Also, she might ask you to get rid of me."

"Why is that?"

"Because I am a woman, and she feels threatened even though we've never met."

"She said it?"

"Her friends did."

"You are pretty chatty for a bodyguard."

"I'm chatty in general." Celeste tried not to move too much. The burns were making it really hard to focus on anything else.

"And your fight with Denarian?"

"Ah, of course, you saw that, too."

"I've heard about the Illuminators fighting and capturing your kind. I've never seen that happen with my own eyes. But using magic was cheating, I must admit."

"Right?" she grinned.

"And the kiss was the right strategy. Works against all men." he winked at her.

There was a knock on the door. "Your Majesty, the meeting is about to begin, you are needed."

Brim stood up, straightened his back and as he was passing by Celeste whispered. "Watch over the meeting, tell me later who seems suspicious."

"Are you sure you want me to hear it?"

"People can't see you, right? And are you loyal to me?"

"At the time."