𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐖𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐲

IN THE FOLLOWING day of her walk around London, Polaris could barely think

IN THE FOLLOWING day of her walk around London, Polaris could barely think. She didn't know what it was but after having the Weasley family over she had to rethink some things. The young woman could barely concentrate and she didn't know why. Sirius must have picked up on it because the man seemed to give her sympathetic glances around the whole house, something that annoyed Polaris greatly. The woman was never looked at with sympathy and she didn't need to now. It was a Friday afternoon when Sirius decided to talk to her about it.

"Polaris, can we talk?" Sirius' voice held a firm tone of concern as he asked her and Polaris worried what it was about.

"Sure, what do you need?" Her response question was spoken with caution, as though Sirius was ready to attack her.

"It's just, it's nothing too bad. I just noticed that you seem... off since your walk yesterday. I just want to know what's going on?" Sirius's eyes held a glimmer of understanding in them as he spoke. It was like Sirius understood her without needing to ask what was going on.

"I don't act off, Sirius and nothing is going on." Her reply was sharp and Sirius knew exactly in that moment what was happening to her because years ago, the sams happened to him.

"Really? So, you are just as concentrated as before the Weasley's came around? You can read and mesmerize the books you read just the way you did before?" Sirius' voice wasn't hard to be right, it was sensitive and Polaris was quiet. She didn't want to admit he was right but she also didn't want to lie to him. "Polaris, when I first went to James' family, the Potter's, all those years ago, I felt the same way after. I also didn't know what was wrong, but I have the theory that it was because you witnessed firsthand how a real family works. Sure, they all didn't agree with each other all the time and they fought but you know that they would die for each other in a heartbeat."

His words had an effect on the young woman. She had that theory as well, especially after her walk but she didn't say anything. "I know what it feels like to come from something that's not a real family to actually see how one works. It's alright to be confused, Polaris, that's nothing to be ashamed of. I remember that I was so confused when I first saw the Potters but it takes time to get used to it." Sirius went as Polaris looked at him, a vulnerable glint in her gray eyes, "It's not even something that's your fault. You can't do anything for the fact that your, our family is the way it is but we can work around that."

Polaris was still quiet after he talked and Sirius knew he had to give her time. "I'd like that, working around that I mean."

Polaris' heart warmed at the small smile that graced Sirius' face. She didn't know it but it meant a whole lot for Sirius that he's able to help his niece. When Sirius first met her he already felt bad enough as soon as he realized she was really his niece. He didn't even know his little brother had a girlfriend, let alone that he got married and became a widowed father. But then he met his niece, who was fifteen years old at that point and he realized that he missed it all, missed her. Not only had he, because of his own stupidity, missed raising and seeing Harry grow up, but he completely missed his little brother's life and family. Sirius felt even worse when he couldn't do anything to help which is why he gave the house for the Order in the first place but couldn't do more than that as well.