5. The plight of a mother

SPENCER
Anderson took Y/N from us and took her to interrogation, while the team and I walked up to the conference room.

"You look like you found something." Emily smiled.

"I did indeed. This is Y/N's phone, correct?" She pushed the black phone across the large round table, watching as it stopped in the middle.

"Yes. The police gave it to us after they frisked and fingerprinted her." Rossi nodded.

"Well, they sent it to me. I connected the phone to my system and downloaded every single thing that is visible on the phone. All her emails, texts, call history, photos, etc." Penelope started.

"Okay?" Morgan asked.

"When I tried to unlock the downloaded files, I was greeted to a blank folder." Penelope exhaled.

"A blank folder? You're saying we've got nothing?" I groaned.

"No, no, boy wonder. I may have been greeted to a blank folder, but that was a smokescreen. I, Penelope Garcia, back-hacked the phone and discovered a lot more than just a blank folder." She smiled, putting up photos, videos and other files up on the screen.

"So, Y/N used a system or some software that hid all of her secret data?" JJ asked.

"I don't think it was Y/N that did this. I think that Y/N's working for someone and whoever she's working for is the one who used a special system or software." Penelope shook her head.

"That's one theory. What exactly was on Y/N's phone?" Hotch asked.

"Okay, so this isn't exactly Y/N's phone. There's no personal touch added. No family photos. No contacts that would lead to family or friends. No personal photos, nothing. This phone is most likely a burner phone, or a work phone." Penelope explained further.

"There are two recent messages from a contact simply named M. The second message, the one that relates to the most recent murder, is a file that contains details that she needed in order to kill without detection." Penelope pulled up the file, shocking everyone.

"This person...they told Y/N that the Norton's didn't have any security. They told her that the Norton's had a puppy that was easily distracted." JJ looked at the file.

"She knew that the front door would be locked and the flywire door wouldn't." Rossi raised his eyebrows in shock.

"What was the first message?" I asked, confused.

"The first message from M, is the message that I think will interest you." Penelope pulled up the second message.

"Proof of life? What does that mean?" Morgan asked.

"There's an attached video." Emily noted, watching as Penelope pressed play.

For the next few minutes, the team and I watched as a little boy sat on a mattress. He looked pale and very sleep-deprived. He looked as if he hadn't had much to eat.

"Do we have any idea as to who this little boy is?" I asked, confused.

"None. The video is too dark. There's only enough light to briefly see his face." Penelope shook her head.

"He looks no older than 5 years old." JJ furrowed her eyebrows in sorrow. Having a child that's similar in age, JJ felt sick, knowing that the little boy in the video wasn't safe.

"JJ, are you okay?" I asked, worried.

"I can't imagine how I'd feel if Henry was in this little boy's position." JJ exhaled, trying not to cry.