The Plan

"So, being for real, what do you really think lives in that house?" Angel asked, her gaze yet again drawn to the house on the hill.

Ryan shrugged and readjusted Brianna, who was currently piggybacking on his back, asleep. "Who knows? Maybe there's nothing up there except a bunch of wild animals, and the village leaders are just trying to show us how in control they are. Again."

"Ryan, hush, If Brianna were to hear how you're talking right now, you'd know what she'd say." Angel lightly scolded.

"I know, I know. With her father being a leader and all, it's hard to know what I can and can't say anymore." He sighed.

"I know what I want to say," Angel muttered. "I want to say that I want to go up the hill and explore those old house ruins, just to prove to everyone that there's nothing to be afraid of if you're careful."

"Angel, how could you even think about doing that? You know what happened when Genevieve went up there."

"Don't remind me of my sister." 

"I'm sorry, Angel, but it had to be said. Your sister was the most careful person I ever knew, and the fact that she wound up just like every other kid that was foolish enough to go up there tells me everything I need to know."

Ryan doesn't look at Angel again, but she still responds, "If you won't go with me, I'll get Brianna to go with me."

"Brianna isn't stupid enough to do that."

Angel sighed, annoyed now. "Then I'll go up there anyone and if anything happens to me, it'll be because you chose to bail on me." She knew it was a dirty move: guilt-tripping. She did it anyway.

Ryan slowly turned to look at her, again adjusting Brianna on his back. "You wouldn't dare."

But they both knew she would because that was the way that Angel was. She glared at him and replied, "Yes, I would. I'm going there tomorrow. Either you can come, or you can be an idiot and get me hurt." And on that final note, Angel started to walk away.

"You're playing dirty here, Angel! Real dirty!" He called out to her. She simply ignored him. She had her plan. The plan.