Chapter III

This couldn't be happening, they were just dreams . . .

I wished my eyes deceived me, but they didn't. The monster from my dreams was in the distance, coming for me. He was everything I feared and more.

I could recognize him anywhere; the stature of a giant, dressed for battle, and weapons in hand. He could not only bring me down to my knees in submission, but burn my village to the ground.

The familiar soldier sensed my anxiety. If there was any chance this was somehow the boy from my dreams, he would know why I feared the monster that approached. "Do you remember him?" he muttered. "Yes," the answer fell from my lips without a thought. My reality was crumbling by the second. I didn't understand how all of this could be real. That day began like any other, but I had no idea it would be my last.

I turned to the familiar soldier, my senses completely lost now. "Please don't let him hurt me," I pleaded. "I'll do as you ask!" I reached for the soldier and fell into his arms. His armored body tensed, his breath hitching in his throat, but the soldier held me close. Under his touch my heart slowed down, my own breathing becoming somewhat normal. I felt safe and protected in his embrace, a feeling I wish I could deny it.

"Prince Zuko," the monsters voice sent a shiver done my spine. The soldier held me tighter, shielding me from my worst fear. "Do we have a problem here?" I heard the small army stop in their tracks, awaiting orders from their commanders. My thoughts wandered of their plans for my village . . . their plans for me.

The soldier that they called Prince Zuko was hesitant with his answer but when he spoke, I was left surprised. "I found something I liked, General," a chuckle rose from his throat. My heart sank . . . had I been wrong about this man? Or was this a tactic to save me? "There will be a change of plans."

There was a moment of concentrated silence. My thoughts ran wild with anxiety. "If I may, my lord," the snow beneath the monsters feet crunched. "We came here with a task to complete." I could feel his eyes burning through the back of my head, Prince Zuko's embrace growing tighter.

Without warning, I was snatched by my hood and ripped from the soldiers grasp. I clawed at my collar in the panic, it choking me as the grip on my hood grew tighter. "What the hell do you think you're doing!?" Prince Zuko lunged toward the culprit, anticipating my release. I was immediately released, falling face first in the icy snow and wished to stay there, commotion unfolding above.

"What do you want with that water tribe bitch," the monster growled. I kept my face to the ground, praying that he would ignore my presence. And then, realization hit me. They were arguing, enraged with one another . . . Distracted; this was my chance to escape. I began to inch through the snow on my hands and knees, the mens voices growing louder. It wasn't long before they noticed though. The monster shouted and before I could rush to my feet to run, I was snatched by my hair and spun around to face him.

In that moment, I felt numb, I couldn't even shed a tear. I was too terrified to react to the monster. He glared at me with the disbelief Prince Zuko wore, but with cold, dead eyes. A scowl crept onto his lips and a sob stalled in my throat. "I understand your change of heart, Prince Zuko," the monster chuckled. "So, this is where you've been all this time daughter?"

I kicked him. Hard. The monster released my hair and fell to his knees groaning in pain. He signaled his soldiers to me but Prince Zuko used himself as a shield, protecting me from their wrath.

"I warned you, Zhao," amusement lingered in his voice. "You will not lay another finger on her, or there will be hell to pay." The prince presented his hand, a flame rising from his palm, the real fire burning in his eyes.