2

The sound of cries and police sirens can be heard from a distance as the crowd gathers around the crime scene. The flashing of red and blue lights illuminates the area as people gather around, trying to catch a glimpse of what happens. A man in a beige trench coat approaches the scene, and the onlookers begin to move out of the way.

As he arrives at the location, his senses immediately kick in as he inspects every inch of the place. A young boy lies on the ground lifelessly.

"Stay back," he tells his colleagues firmly, "we can't contaminate the area."

The detective pulls on a pair of gloves and approaches the body, lying just a few feet from the tape. It's that of a young boy, not more than sixteen or seventeen, dressed in a hoodie and jeans. The boy's skin is a sickly shade of grey, and his eyes are open, staring sightlessly at the sky.

He crouches beside the body, his eyes scanning every detail with a keen sense of observation. The boy's face is contorted in pain, his clothes torn apart as if he is dragged for several yards. The pool of blood around him has already started to coagulate, casting a dark shadow on the lifeless form. The young boy's body is cold, and the bruises on his face show signs of a struggle.

The ground is rough and uneven; sharp rocks dig into his knees as he begins his inspection. His focus stays on the victim as he notes the position of the body, the wounds, the clothes, the injuries. The contents of the pockets, anything that can provide him with any leads.

He feels a sharp pang of sympathy for the victim. He can only imagine what the boy is going through in those last moments, fighting for his life against an unknown assailant. It makes him want to find the killer even more.

"Dispatch for detective Mingyu, do you copy?" His walkie-talkie comes to life with the voice of a fellow cop.

"Go ahead," Mingyu replies, his voice steady.

"Forensics just reports that they find some blood on the ground of the apartment as well."

"Thanks for the update." The detective rises from the ground and heads in the direction of the blood, followed by his assistant. "So he kills the boy here?"

"He does? Then why does his body be found on the street instead?"

"Who knows? Maybe the killer wants to let everyone see what he does."

"The killer's a freak."

"We're going to have to put out a call to the missing persons unit," Mingyu states to his colleague, a young fresh-faced officer who looks a bit nervous.

"Why is that?"

"This kind of trauma doesn't happen with random acts of violence. Check his pockets for any evidence of identification, will you?" As he says that, the latter kneels down and starts scanning the area for clues.