Carousel

Saturday       

Tina

Tina groaned and buried herself further under her blankets. She planned on staying in bed for the rest of the day. Maybe forever.

Last night after she'd run out of the theater, she'd gone to the shop next door to use the phone. She'd called her dad and had him pick her up. The whole way home he'd tried to reason that maybe she should've let Zeke explain himself. She'd been too busy crying to listen though.

Now that it was morning she realized it was possible her dad was right, maybe she should've given Zeke a chance to explain.

Tina jerked when a loud tapping sound came from her window. She fumbled her way out of the covers and  hurried over to the window, sliding it open. Standing on the street below was a very out of breath Jimmy Jr.
"Jimmy Jr. what are you doing here?
"I need to talk to you. Come outside."
Tina groaned. "Ok, hang on."
She closed the window and moved to her dresser, grabbing a t-shirt and leggings, and pulled them on quickly.

As she made her way quietly through the apartment, she realized everyone was downstairs working. She felt a wave of guilt, but pushed it down as she crept quietly down the stairs. She opened the door and quickly hurried around the corner and behind the building where Jimmy Jr. was waiting.
"What are you doing here?"
She eyed him warily, waiting for a response, arms crossed defensively.
Jimmy Jr. shifted uncomfortably.
"It wasn't Zeke. It was Tammy and Jocelyn. They told me we were all supposed to meet at the movies. I swear I didn't know what they were planning." He looked at her pleadingly.
Tina sighed and uncrossed her arms, shoulders slumping.
"I believe you."
It was just like Tammy to pull something like that, and for poor sweet, simple Jocelyn and Jimmy Jr. to fall for it.

Jimmy Jr. nodded and pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket.
"Will you please talk to Zeke? I've never seen him like this. He really likes you Tina."
He handed her the paper and she took it, unfolding it and reading it carefully.

             Tina,
       Please let me explain.
     Meet me at Wonder Wharf.
    I'll be there until sunset.

                            Zeke

Tina folded the paper and slipped it in her pocket before looking back at Jimmy Jr.
"Tell my parents I had to do something." He nodded and she hurried around the corner to the front of the building, walking briskly down the sidewalk.

It didn't take Tina long to get to Wonder Wharf. She wandered around scanning the crowd, wondering where Zeke would be. As she neared the carousel, she saw him leaning against the railing, staring out at the water.
She walked over nervously and stood next to him. "Hey Zeke."
He looked up at her, slightly surprised. "You're here."
She nodded, not meeting his eyes.
"Tina, I'm so sorry. I had no idea Tammy, Jocelyn, and Jimmy Jr. were gonna be there, I swear. You gotta belie-"
"Zeke."
He paused, looking at her.
She shook her head. "You don't have anything to be sorry for."
"Doesn't change the fact that I am."
Tina smiled at him. "I know. You're a good person. I'm sorry it took me so long to see that. Maybe that's why I overreacted. I haven't exactly been nice to you, so part of me couldn't figure out why you'd like me in the first place."
Zeke chuckled, shaking his head. "Tina, I like you because you're amazing. You go all out for the people you love. You always try to do the right thing when it's really important, even if it's hard. You don't back down when you really want something. You've got the biggest heart out of anyone I know."
He looked at her and blushed slightly. "And you're pretty too."

Tina stared at him, eyes wide, speechless. Zeke smiled at her nervously and she smiled back.
He reached out and gently took her hand. "So how about we try this date thing again? If you don't mind hanging around Wonder Wharf?"
Tina looked down at the oversized blue horse T-shirt and black leggings she was wearing.
"I'm not really dressed for a date." She giggled.
Zeke eyed her up and down, grinning at her. "You look fine to me."
She smiled back and squeezed his hand. "Well then, it's a date."