Prologue

I stand to the side, invisible and silent as I watch two figures, one a boy and the other a girl, running from an unknown enemy. I quickly recognized them as my two jerk cousins, Logann and Kyden. They looked extremely frightened; probably because they were sprinting down the length of a slippery pier under the dark cloak of midnight towards certain doom. I don't really know how they ended up here (I don't care, either), seeing as I always appear about a minute before the end. I sigh, watching Kyden slip and fall; that was his big mistake.

The enemy, a shadow of a vaguely humanoid figure, walked at a brisk pace, following my idiot cousins footsteps until it reached where Kyden lay, shaking and shivering. It bend down and touched his forehead. His eyes immediately rolled into the back of his head and his breathing came to a stop. He was long gone.

The silence what deafening for the next few seconds but was fiercely interrupted by a bloodcurdling scream; Logann stood at the end of the dock and started at her brother's motionless body with pure terror etched onto her pale face. She slowly backed up until her heels were teetering on the edge of the pier, and she looked down to see the inky black water lapping up against the rotting wood beneath her. The shadow righted and continued its walk until it was only a foot in front of Logann. She stood there frozen and her eyes resembling golf balls. It pressed its index finger to her forehead once again and she fell back into the freezing lake with an audible splash. No one ever saw her again.