Phantoms

Kinetrius, Minevi and the Eradros made their way out into the city. It was deadly quiet all throughout. The masked men had to be right outside of the gates according to Gavhelus. They weren't sure what the men were going to do next, but it was best they get in front of it as soon as possible. Aela stood at the front of Jorrvaskr, watching as they made their way to the front gate.
Aela: Good luck to you young master,...We will not interfere as this is your quarry!
They were a good distance away; and to spare the town anymore unnecessary noise, they simply waved and continued on. Eradros noticed that all of the guards were still on post.
Eradros: This doesn't make any since,...
Minevi: Whats wrong?
Eradros: If the men are close by, how has none of the guards seen them?
Minevi: ...Strange indeed. They were given a description of the men I presume.
Kinetrius: Maybe they're just good at hiding,...what's the matter all of a sudden?
Eradros: It's possible we're dealing with an enemy adept in Illusion magic. Minevi, you know the guards exit to the city yeah?
Minevi: A passage through the front walls yes.
Eradros: I want you to take it and meet us outside of the city. I'll take the high ground and let Kin walk out of the gates alone. If anything moves within the area between us we'll have our prey.
Minevi: How do we know they won't have eyes on us already.
Eradros: We don't, but they still haven't made a move. So the goal is to create the opportunity for them.
Minevi looked at him for a moment. She nodded and made her way to the gates passage. Kinetrius looked around the immediate area for anything peculiar or strange. Everything seemed to be normal. The guards walked their posts, even the cats and mice moved about like usual on a quiet night. That alone was a bit suspicious given the events earlier today. Kinetrius made his way to the gate. He looked at the two guards who only nodded as he walked past. Eradros went to the top of the gates in secret as not to be seen by them, but something made him stop dead in his tracks. He then jumped to the nearest rooftop and yelled out.
Eradros: Kin, the guards!!!
Kinetrius turned around after he heard the shout, but it was too late. He saw one of the guard smirking. Then he was immediately snatched up by one of them as their disguises dropped. After grabbing Kinetrius they both teleported through the gate and out of the city.
Eradros: Dammit!!! Hang on lad!
He began running and jumping from rooftop to rooftop, making his way to the front gates. The rooftops were not close together, but Eradros was very nimble. He cleared building after building until he stood atop the fronts gates of the city. He looked down to see one of them appearing outside still holding the boy. He raised his bow and drew it back.
Eradros: Not another step!
The man paused for a second, but then Eradros heard a voice from his immediate flank.
Voice: Makin' threats like that,...
Eradros turned to see the other masked man charging him with a sword in hand and in the other was a fire spell ready.
Masked man: You're gonna make me angry y'know.
He launched the spell at the ground near Eradros's feet. The blast kicked up dirt and rocks, impairing his vision. He raised his arm to cover his face from the debris. Once he looked up he saw smoke and a figure still coming toward him. The masked man leaped through the cloud of smoke with fearsome strikes. Eradros defended against each blow using his bow, but he was nearly blinded due to the fire blast and this was forcing him backward. The man swung once more at him. He deflected it and knocked him back right before losing his footing. Eradros tumbles backwards but lands on his feet and in battle position. The masked man readies himself for another attack.
Masked Man: You might as well forget about the kid for now,...it's just you and me.
Eradros: Kinda romantic when you think about it.
The man did not find his joke amusing and proceeded with yet another attack. They both immediately locked into a dance of blades atop the Whiterun main gates.
Kinetrius was locked tightly in the mans arms just outside of the gates. The man tried to move forward with him but the boy struggled. Suddenly his breathing became more focused and intense. His adrenaline had begun to rise. This gave him the extra strength needed to break free from the masked man's clutches. He yanked himself away from the man hurling him toward the ground nearby. Once he broke free, the masked man appeared to be surprised. He stared at Kinetrius for a moment, looking him up and down as the boy stood up. Then he realized...
Masked Man: Redguards,...this must be the heightened instinct we were warned about.
Kinetrius takes the shield off of his back and into his hand. He then summons a bound sword to his other hand and lowered his stance. The boy didn't speak a word, his eyes appeared feral, and all that came from him was the sound of slow yet powerful breathing.
Masked man: Fighting for your life ey? Commendable,...Lets see the power that killed two of our brethren five years ago.
Kinetrius launched himself at his opponent almost faster than what could be seen. Before the man knew it, Kinetrius's blade was almost at his throat. The man dodged the swing making it a near miss. He counters by kicking the boy away from him and drawing his blade. But before he could assess the situation, Kinetrius was back on the attack. He took numerous swings at the man. They were fast and precise, leaving him little room for error when dodging and blocking. The masked man counters again with an even harder swing from his sword. Kinetrius blocked it with his shield, using the momentum to spin himself and bring his blade back around to the mans neck once more. The masked man had to use his entire upper body to dodge this time. He rolled away from Kinetrius to create space and gain his bearings.
Masked man: Its just as the True Lord says,...you really are dangerous. Come! This time I won't underestimate you youngling.
Kinetrius charged in again, but before he could make it to his opponent his legs began to give out. He stumbled to one knee, stabbing his sword in the ground to catch himself.
Kinetrius: Why,...why am I so tired all of a sudden? Dammit,...I almost had him.
The boy took a moment to catch his breath for it was all he could do, but the masked man approached slowly knowing his adrenaline had worn off. The man charged up an ice spell. Ice particles circled his hand and formed a large ice cycle. He cocked his arm back and began to take aim.
Masked Man: You are an abomination that must be purged.
Right as he launches the the ice spike a figure runs toward them expeditiously, jumping over crates and sliding under low overpasses.
Right before the spike reached its target, it was intercepted by a shield. It was Minevi who had jumped in front of the attack right before impact and shattering the ice. Eradros was still battling the other cultist on top of the gate, but suddenly the man disappeared as he took a swing at him with his bow. He then appeared down behind the other masked man.
Cultist 1: You go too far, he was nearly killed by that!
Cultist 2: The True master's going to kill him anyways. I'm just speeding up the process.
The man charges up another spell while raising his hand up high. Minevi raised her shield and got ready to defend again. Kinetrius brought himself back to his feet still unable to raise his arms.
Cultist 1: I said you go too far,...
Suddenly they all heard the gruesome sound of flesh and bone being impaled. The mans ice spell dissolved and his arm dropped to his side. His partner had taken a soul gem and thrust it into his back using only his hand. He turned his head to his partner with the little strength he had.
Cultist 2: What,...is the meaning of this betrayal?
Cultist 1: We have clear orders not to kill him. You are jeopardizing the mission. Therefore you should be eliminated. But don't worry. I'll make sure your soul is still put to good use.
The soul gem placed in his back began to glow brightly. The glow could even be seen from in front of him by the others. Then, the man's soul energy began to rise out of his body and flow into the arm the other cultist had in his back. The more the energy flowed from him, his body shrunk in size. The man let out a blood curdling scream as his corporal form withered. As his body shrunk, the other masked man seemed to grow larger until it was only bone left under his robes. The body fell to the floor, and his murderer stood with his arm extended still holding the soul gem. Eradros jumped down from the gate and ran to Kinetrius and Minevi. He was unable to believe what he had just witnessed.
Minevi: Your own comrade. Is there no one you people won't hurt to get what you want?
Cultist: He will serve in,...other ways my dear. You needn't worry about that. Now,...where were we?
The man clutched his blade and charged Minevi very quickly. She barely had time to throw her shield up before he made contact with it. The strike was forceful, sending her sliding back into the stone wall behind them. He then showed up in front of Eradros who was helping Kinetrius stand. He quickly kicked Eradros away from the boy and charged him. Soon he stood in front of him with his sword raised high. Eradros raised his bow to block the attack, but it was too powerful. The sword sliced the bow in half and cut Eradros down his chest. The man readied another attack. He was attempting to decapitate Eradros, but the attack was intercepted. Minevi jumped in from of him waving her shield in front of his blade and knocking it away. In the same motion she brought her club around and struck the man right in the face. This sent him stumbling backwards. He fell to his knees holding his face. His mask appeared to have been damaged. As he pulled his hand away from his face, the mask began to crumble down into his palm. Minevi and Kinetrius ran to help Eradros.
Minevi: Are you ok love? Can you stand?
Kinetrius: This is my fault,...I couldn't do anything to stop them.
Eradros grabbed onto Minevi's arm and pulled himself up from the ground. He was bleeding from the chest but the wound did not look fatal.
Eradros: Don't be so hard on yourself lad. You still haven't recovered from your injuries. Most men would not have taken to the field in your condition.
Minevi: Your injury,...will you be alright?
Eradros: I'm fine. Eyes up, we're not done here yet.
They turned to see the man standing with pieces of his mask in his hand. Matted locks fell from behind his hood and down in front of his face. He turned to face them with blood coming from his head.
Cultist: That was a good hit. Too bad you won't get another.
They finally see his face clearly, but what they saw shocked them to the core. The man was also Redguard. Eradros stepped closer to him in disbelief.
Eradros: Are you bloody kidding me? This can't be real.
Kinetrius gazed upon the mans face and realized it was non other than his fallen father, Falwon. He stepped forward unable to process this turn of events.
Kinetrius: Dad,...is that really you?
Cultist: I am no father of yours boy. I live only to serve the one true dragonborn.
Eradros: Falwon,...what's happened to you? Why are you doing this?
Cultist: It is true. This body may have belonged to this,...Falwon. My master recruits the souls of powerful warriors to do his bidding. But this vessel is now in service to the True Master. The man you once knew is no more.
Kinetrius fell to his knees at the site of the monster his father had become. The man he idolized was standing in front of him with intentions to do him harm. The healing wound from the loss of his father was now ripped wide open anew. No one should be forced to bury a loved one twice, let alone crossing swords with them to do so.
Kinetrius: Is this,...a joke? Is someone getting a laugh at seeing me live every kind of nightmare imaginable? Why is this,...happening to me? To my family...
Cultist: You are not fit to walk this earth child,...your very existence disrupts all that should otherwise remain harmonic. Have they not told you what you are by now? Do you still not yet know the truth?
Eradros: The lad is Dragonborn! You,...Kin, are Dragonborn.
Kinetrius: The previous Dragonborn,...wants to kill me then? For what? Why are dragons even returning?
Cultist: It is not a matter of want. The return of Alduin and his kin is punishment. The people of Skyrim have placed their faith in false gods for far too long. When it was my master that delivered them from the world eater. Your existence,...left unchecked would only hinder the glory that is rightfully his.
Eradros: So that's the rub? Until we bow down to his grace, he won't do a thing to help his people? What kind of lords sends assassins to hunt a young child anyways? It's fine if he doesn't want to help, but why not get the hell out of our way?
Cultist: Did you not hear me just now? The boy cannot be allowed to live, and Skyrim will either have to learn to fend for itself or give my master the respect he truly deserves.
Minevi: Enough!
Minevi steps in front of Kinetrius and Eradros. She had heard her fill of the Cultist's words. Her face was now deadly serious and her stance seemed more offensive this time around.
Minevi: All this talking is going make to me bash my own skull in. You want the boy? Then come get him,...otherwise run back and tell your boss he'll have to wait until I'm ready to give him up.
Cultist: Don't let that lucky hit go to your head girl,...you might just lose it.
Minevi bangs her mace against her shield twice and readies herself for an attack. The cultist smirks at the gesture and lifted his hand.
Cultist: Have it your way.
Suddenly a burst came from his hand and a large fireball appeared from it. It was much larger than your average fireball, almost like he had produced a miniature sun out of thin air. He stood holding the fireball and waiting for her to make a move. But before the fight started, a purple mist came creeping in around the mans feet. The sound of eerie whispers could be heard coming from it. It appeared the mist was communicating with the cultist.
Cultist: But my lord, I have him in my sights.
The whispers continued for moment more, then the cultist dissolved the fire spell and turned his back to them. Immediately after a portal popped up in front of him. He paused a moment before stepping into it.
Cultist: Consider yourselves spared for the time being. My master has other tasks for me to perform at the moment.
Minevi: How does it feel? Laying your life on the line for a coward.
Cultist: I'm afraid I have been unburdened by things such as feelings,...for a very long time now. Until we meet again.
Kinetrius: Oh and tell your master he doesn't have to send you lot anymore. The next time we meet,...we'll be paying him a visit.
Cultist: ...Quite. He'll be glad to hear it.
With that last remark he stepped into the portal and disappeared in an instant. The three of them were exhausted and Kinetrius could barely stand. His injuries were now blaring with pain from being almost reopened. Eradros had the most troubled look on his face as he stared at the ground.
Eradros: I,...I can't believe it. After all this time. Why now?
Minevi saw that he was sinking into confusion and placed a hand on his shoulder.
Minevi: Come now. You're both injured. Let's get you two back inside and have you looked at. I know this must be a lot to process, but we can consider this a victory non the less.
Eradros: I suppose you're right. The lad did not get himself killed tonight. Which was the biggest worry for me.
Kinetrius: Seriously? Did no one have any faith in me? Ow!
Minevi: You did good today Kin. But with those injuries its no wonder you almost past out mid fight.
Kinetrius: To be completely honest the whole thing's kind of a blur. I remember everything, but the way I attacked him,...it was like I was someone else.
Eradros: Your adrenaline kicked in. I've seen it happen to your father a time or two. You Redguards have a knack for getting more aggressive with the more danger you're in. But man does it kick your ass afterwards.
Minevi: Thank the twelve I was able to get to you two in time. I hate to think where we would be had he got a hold of our precious dragonborn.
Kinetrius: Speaking of,...Eradros when were you going to tell me about that part?
Eradros: In my defense,...I had my suspicions, but I was not certain. That day, when you burned the stables of Riften. I heard the Greybeards call out from their monastery.
Minevi: The Greybeards? But they don't communicate with anyone.
Eradros: This is true. But I imagine the dragonborn might be an exception. Plus it makes more sense that they would call for him then they were just deciding to be social after hundreds of years of tradition. Forgive me lad. I should've made this clear to you sooner.
Kinetrius: Don't worry about it. I know this is confusing for the both of us. It seems my father liked to leave everyone in the dark,...not just me.
Minevi: C'mon guys. We'll sort this out in the morning. I've got to make a report to the Jarl about the outcome of it all as well.
Minevi got between them both and placed her arm around them to help them walk. The three of them made their way back into the city. Kinetrius turned to look upon the corpse left by the man using his fathers body, and the broken mask close by it. It all happened so fast that he scarce had time to process it. For now however, he only wished to sleep. They had seen only a hint of the danger that would follow in the future. For now however, they only intended to get rested. Kinetrius went to bed that night with more on his mind than he'd ever had before, but something in him became alive. He not only had the hope Eradros gave him. He now had purpose, and he was determined to find out what it was that he was meant to do as dragonborn. But how?
Chapter End -