Sickness

I got under the rug next to Newt, and tried to stop thinking about all the bad possibilities of Newt dying. Next to me, Newt was shaking, and I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him close. That was when I was finally able to fall into a dreamless sleep. I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of Newt retching again. More black gunk, more smell, more comforting Newt, and the need for medicine more urgent. I helped Newt get up from the corner that had become ' the bathroom' and was now filled with black gunk, and would be stained black forever. Newt was unsteady on his feet, and I wrapped my arm around him, and took him to the triangle hole for fresh air. I went and got the rug, and draped it around Newt like a blanket. Newt leaned against me, and we watched the sun rise. I remember only a couple days ago when we watched it rise, but everything was good. No crank, no stab, no sickness. At least Newt could kind of talk again.

" Min, did you mean what you said?"

Newt's voice was hoarse, and raspy from puking.

" What do you mean?"

" A couple days ago, while we were watching the sun rise."

Oh, shuck. He did hear me muttering that he never looked bad.

" Huh, oh, oh yeah."

" What about right now?"

I knew he was trying to joke, but it only made me realize how awful he really looked. His eyes were sunken, he looked starved and exhausted, his hair was matted with sweat, and he was swaying on his feet.

" Yeah, Newt, you look . . . great."

Newt laughed, but it quickly turned into a coughing fit. The sound of Newt's ragged coughs filled the room.

" It's okay, Newt, breathe, breathe."

Newts coughing fit slowly subsided. I thought of something. Newt wasn't going to live forever, and I should tell him before it's too late. I need to tell Newt I love him. Sometime while I was thinking, Newt had moved back from the hole, and was leaning on the wall behind me. I had uncoinsly spread my body to take up the whole gap, with my arms and legs spread.

" Newt, you know I think you're my best friend right?"

That's it. Ease him in.

" Yeah . . ."

" You know that you are probably the closest person I have ever known. . ."

I know I was being cheesy, apparently Newt thought so too.

" Min, I'm gonna puke."

" Sorry for being too sappy."

Newt was pale. His hand was clasped over his mouth. He was bent, his eyes facing the ground, swaying. He shook his head. I realized what was happening right as Newt spoke again.

" No, Minho, I'm literally gonna puke, move!!!"

Newt yelled through his hand while gagging. Oh god. I jumped out of the way as Newt bolted toward the hole and puked over the side. That brought me back. Medicine. Medicine, soon. Or he dies. Or the only person you have ever really loved dies.

" Oh god Newt. . ."

I muttered to myself. He must really be hurting. I scooped him up bridal style, and took him back to the rug. I had to go. The sooner the more likely chance Newt had to survive.

" Newt, I'm going to go find more food, okay? I'll be back before you know it!"

As I was walking towards the stairs, I heard Newt call my name.