Part 1

It begins with blood and despair.

This feeling is a very nefarious thing. It comes mostly when I am alone, when my thoughts wander to the relentless dark corners of my mind.

I try to keep these parts hidden and buried deep. Sometimes, I let my guard down, and they leak out of their cages. Then, I am forced to look at them.

    It's never pleasant these feelings and thoughts. They are never obedient or well-behaved. They show no respect for my current fragile state of mind.

Chapter One

He looks small and insignificant, lying there with his neck bent at an odd angle. The blood runs down the wall and pools at my feet. Soaking my trainers, the white leather slowly bleeds into pink. It's pretty if you like pink.

I should dispose of the body, but I just can't muster the energy enough to give a fuck. Jordan Fox was number three on my list. Only seven more to go until I have my revenge.

This kill doesn't feel as satisfying as the others, probably because the fall killed him. I didn't get to watch the life leak out of his body as I stood over him. Very anticlimactic the whole thing was.

I leave the body at the bottom of the stairs where it landed—twisted and warped as my soul. I skip down the stairs, pausing long enough to give the meat sack a swift kick. To make sure he is dead. Sometimes, you think they're dead, but they fool you. This bastard is fully dead.

Storm clouds are rolling in, bringing a chill to the air. I inhale a deep breath. I always found the smell of rain to be agreeable. I tilt my face up to the sky as the first raindrop falls. I pull my black hood up and begin the two-mile walk back into town. I am sure to stay in the shadows and avoid populated areas, which isn't hard. This town is practically deserted at night. If I were to stumble across anyone, they would be up to unsavory things as well.

I make a quick stop at the covered bridge. The water is rushing from all the rain of late. Everyone at the academy has been complaining, but I don't mind. I love the rain; it's my favorite weather.

I slip off my once-white, now pink, trainers and toss them in the river. The muddy water carries them away. If only it could carry my memories away as well.

I make it back to the academy. The tall building looks calm and peaceful at night. I scale the wall by the dorms. The red brick is wet and slippery, causing me to tap into my shifter strength. Being a fox shifter in a school full of wolves is difficult. My reputation has kept me unharmed for the most part. That and the fact my uncle is the headmaster helps as well, but I like to think it's mostly my badass self.

I run across the roof undetected, thanks to my small size and speed. I jump back through my open window, landing louder than I would have liked. I go straight to my desk, where I pull out my leather-bound journal. It was his before he was murdered. It smells like cigars and scotch.

Memories try to surface, but I push them down. That is one floodgate that, once open, can't be closed.

The first page is a list of ten names.

Timothy Wells

Nancy Wells

Jordan Fox

Nathan Block

Thomas Porterhouse

Jason Smith

Val Smith

Laura Macks